Shelby County's Charles Hurt block/goaltending vs. Holmes in 1978 Sweet 16

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is Doug Schloemer in the pic with Charles Hurt. The ironic part of this pic is the previous season in 1977, Holmes won a controversial game against Newport in the regional finals. I was at that game and saw for myself the refs blundered a call that would have given Newport the ball in the final seconds, and gave it to Holmes. Schloemer, who was a great player, hit a shot to give Holmes a one-point win. Karma again a year later? Wow!

If my memory is correct this game was the pre-cursor to the Laettner play.

I think Shelby threw a full-court pass on an out-of-bounds play and Hurt caught it at the foul line and turned to hit the tying shot.

@OldhamOldie ?

Of all the state tournaments I had to miss (I was at Portland State as a grad student 1978 and '79), it would have been this one! No wonder so many people have told me about this goaltending. I'm a 8th Region guy, but that is definitely a goal tending on Shelby County. When did this block happen? Late in the game?

Of all the state tournaments I had to miss (I was at Portland State as a grad student 1978 and '79), it would have been this one! No wonder so many people have told me about this goaltending. I'm a 8th Region guy, but that is definitely a goal tending on Shelby County. When did this block happen? Late in the game?

Late. Maybe in overtime.