Shelby County's Charles Hurt block/goaltending vs. Holmes in 1978 Sweet 16

I saw the video clip a few moments ago with Hurt's goaltending, and his shot that sent the game into overtime at the buzzer. The hand through the cylinder did indeed knock the ball away (still not sure it would have gone in, but that is a moot point as hitting the ball there is interference) and should have been goaltending.

The 3/4 court pass to Hurt and his shot (it hits the rim two or three times before going through as the buzzer goes off) is amazing to see. Hurt shoots one from about the foul line after making a nice catch of the inbounds pass. Classic big-time play by Hurt. What a heartbreaker for Holmes. If one of the defenders had jumped in front of Hurt, I believe they could have easily tipped away the 3/4 court pass. Easy for me to second guess 38 years later!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about crying over spilled milk. Everyone knows that SC was the best team in the state that year. Instead of calling it the Laettner shot, maybe Laettners shot should be call the George to Hurt play. BYW, Charles is now an asst. coach for SC.

Yes the hand went thru the net. NO the ball was no where near going in.

Yes I was there... I am a reformed hippy!

The shot was a layup and it had a very good chance of going in until it was illegally blocked by Hurt. A goal tend is a goal tend is a goal tend unless totally missed by 2 referees who never did another state tournament game.

No question after seeing the video clip it was basket interference, though I am not certain the ball was going in. Makes no difference as Hurt definitely goal-tended the ball by touching it with his hand through the cylinder.

On the other hand (no pun intended), Hurt's play that forced overtime on the long pass is a classic. The 3/4 court pass is perfect, and Hurt does what great players do: He hit a huge, clutch shot to force OT. A heartbreaking loss for Holmes, which obviously had a tremendous team with Schloemer, Wimzie, Beal, Moeves, Malik, etc.

I know we had some fun with this but Charles could use your prayers. He was admitted to the hospital with something very serious this week.

I hate to hear it about Charles. I will keep him in my prayers and hope everything turns out fine for him and his family. Charles Hurt is a legend at Shelby County and I believe he served in the military after playing at UK. If I recall, he played for Coach Creamer at Shelby.

I know we had some fun with this but Charles could use your prayers. He was admitted to the hospital with something very serious this week.

Is this something with Charles that just happened recently? I had not read anything or heard from any of the other 8th Region people.