Shelby County's Charles Hurt block/goaltending vs. Holmes in 1978 Sweet 16

The consensus around NKY is that Holmes has won two state championships, but only arrived home with the big trophy once. I'm sure it still stings a lot of people, but 2009 took away a lot of the pain.

I would say, based on this pic and if it did indeed happen in overtime, Holmes has a huge gripe. This is blatant poor officiating. No excuse for a state title game to have a missed call like this one.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3/4 length pass to Hurt was at the end of regulation... Dicky Beal had made a 12 foot jump shot to put Holmes up 2 with 2 seconds left... Shelby set up the "Laettner play" and executed it to perfection, except Hurt's shot rattled in for the tie to send it to overtime, breaking hearts all over northern Kentucky. The non-goaltend call was in overtime, and became very meaningful when the final margin was 2 points.

The 3/4 length pass to Hurt was at the end of regulation... Dicky Beal had made a 12 foot jump shot to put Holmes up 2 with 2 seconds left... Shelby set up the "Laettner play" and executed it to perfection, except Hurt's shot rattled in for the tie to send it to overtime, breaking hearts all over northern Kentucky. The non-goaltend call was in overtime, and became very meaningful when the final margin was 2 points.

Great information, thank you! Do you recall the game from 1977 when Holmes defeated Newport in the closing seconds in the 9th Region championship? Schloemer hit a shot in the last seconds to give Holmes a 77-76 win. Any chance of having a video or pics from that game? I was at it, and it was the best high school game and atmosphere I have ever experienced.

Great information, thank you! Do you recall the game from 1977 when Holmes defeated Newport in the closing seconds in the 9th Region championship? Schloemer hit a shot in the last seconds to give Holmes a 77-76 win. Any chance of having a video or pics from that game? I was at it, and it was the best high school game and atmosphere I have ever experienced.

No, sorry to say I've never seen any video of that game. I was there, and remember the play and the shot, but if there is any video of it it is in some dusty closet at Holmes, probably buried under the Ark of the Covenant (gratuitous Indiana Jones reference) ....

No, sorry to say I've never seen any video of that game. I was there, and remember the play and the shot, but if there is any video of it it is in some dusty closet at Holmes, probably buried under the Ark of the Covenant (gratuitous Indiana Jones reference) ....

I wonder if there is an old film of that game setting in Reynolds Flynn or Bob Vanderpool's desks? Those were the two coaches at the time. I do not think the TV stations consistently sent out cameras to the games in those days, but most teams filmed the games. If anyone has one of the '77 Newport/Holmes game, I would pay to have it put on DVD!

Those two officials should have been ridiculed and ran out of the state for this non-call and it was so VERY EASY to see.

Voice of reason...as always. 38 years later and we are still calling for their heads....and people wonder why no one wants to be an official

Voice of reason...as always. 38 years later and we are still calling for their heads....and people wonder why no one wants to be an official

Those two officials robbed Holmes of a state championship...robbed them!!!! I have no sympathy for them.

Those two officials robbed Holmes of a state championship...robbed them!!!! I have no sympathy for them.

Right...robbed is the term I would use 38 years later. Taking by force, robbed.

I suspect you have no sympathy for any official, but that's just suspicion on my part. No room for error anywhere huh ?