Shelby County's Charles Hurt block/goaltending vs. Holmes in 1978 Sweet 16

Right...robbed is the term I would use 38 years later. Taking by force, robbed.

I suspect you have no sympathy for any official, but that's just suspicion on my part. No room for error anywhere huh ?

Another definition of robbed is: to deprive someone of something

Listen Stevie Wonder would have seen the goaltending, so again I don't have sympathy for the two officials.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refs are human, humans make mistakes. It certainly looks like the two gentlemen made a blunder with this obvious goaltending by Shelby County's Charles Hurt. But I believe everything evens out in the end. I go back to the previous season in 1977 with the Holmes/Newport regional finals, where a blundered call helped the Bulldogs win the 9th Region. Holmes benefitted in that instance from a call and advanced to the Sweet 16. I will admit this lack of a call in 1978 against Hurt is magnified by fact there is the photographic evidence, but I am sure Holmes probably missed some easy shots/free throws in the game that would have made it a moot point. If one of the previous posters is correct, Shelby County apparently made a spectacular shot to just send the game to overtime, so all things evened out this time to the disappointment of Holmes, just as the previous year against Newport the call went their way. Refs miss calls, but players make plays to win games.

Plays like this unfortunately happen at key points in close games still today and Refs occasionally miss them. I don't think for one instance at the Sweet 16 a Ref is looking to rob anyone. Did they make a mistake, it looks like it, but refs miss calls all of the time...just like players miss wide open shots, drop passes in the end zone or flail widely at a change-up in the dirt for a 3rd strike.

Plays like this unfortunately happen at key points in close games still today and Refs occasionally miss them. I don't think for one instance at the Sweet 16 a Ref is looking to rob anyone. Did they make a mistake, it looks like it, but refs miss calls all of the time...just like players miss wide open shots, drop passes in the end zone or flail widely at a change-up in the dirt for a 3rd strike.

Absolutely correct. They make mistakes, but at the high school level, refs are just trying to do the best they can do and get it right. I was not at this game in 1978 with the Hurt goaltending, but I would guess both refs were watching the play for contact when the outside official should have been looking for basket interference once the shot was put up. It appears both refs were concerned about contact (the pics shows very little, just Hurt way above the rim) and disregarded the block of the ball and hand through the rim. I am amazed by the positioning of the photographer for the pic as the state tournament always has the photographers under the basket. Great job by this person getting a great shot of the play!

Absolutely correct. They make mistakes, but at the high school level, refs are just trying to do the best they can do and get it right. I was not at this game in 1978 with the Hurt goaltending, but I would guess both refs were watching the play for contact when the outside official should have been looking for basket interference once the shot was put up. It appears both refs were concerned about contact (the pics shows very little, just Hurt way above the rim) and disregarded the block of the ball and hand through the rim. I am amazed by the positioning of the photographer for the pic as the state tournament always has the photographers under the basket. Great job by this person getting a great shot of the play!

Probably just photoshopped.....wait...

Probably just photoshopped.....wait...

Are you saying this pic is not legit? I am easily fooled, so I am assuming this picture is the real thing. Correct? I'm an old-timer and not up to date with a lot of the new technology toys, but I have read about people photoshopping pics.

Are you saying this pic is not legit? I am easily fooled, so I am assuming this picture is the real thing. Correct? I'm an old-timer and not up to date with a lot of the new technology toys, but I have read about people photoshopping pics.

No, the picture is definitely legit...the problem with the picture is that while it may tell a story, it doesn't tell the entire story. We really have no way of knowing when, where or what happened, all we see is an arm through the rim and a ball above it, nothing in between.

The details surrounding the circumstance are what's important here....

No, the picture is definitely legit...the problem with the picture is that while it may tell a story, it doesn't tell the entire story. We really have no way of knowing when, where or what happened, all we see is an arm through the rim and a ball above it, nothing in between.

The details surrounding the circumstance are what's important here....

I am relieved to hear the pic is real! You had me going for a second! I agree with you totally. If he made contact with the ball, and you are right, the pic does not show that, it is certainly a goaltending call. I am assuming the video one of the previous posters noted will show the hand rejecting the ball out of the cylinder. This is a great photograph, though. My question is how in the heck did the photographer convince the KHSAA people to let him sit at the row for the newspaper and radio people in 1978?

I am relieved to hear the pic is real! You had me going for a second! I agree with you totally. If he made contact with the ball, and you are right, the pic does not show that, it is certainly a goaltending call. I am assuming the video one of the previous posters noted will show the hand rejecting the ball out of the cylinder. This is a great photograph, though. My question is how in the heck did the photographer convince the KHSAA people to let him sit at the row for the newspaper and radio people in 1978?

Crazy hippies running the show in the '70's. Probably somebody like @mcpapa running the gate in those days.

Crazy hippies running the show in the '70's. Probably somebody like @mcpapa running the gate in those days.

Maybe Dale McMillan or Hardy Tribble took the photo from their seats at press row? Just joking. Referencing those two names of the past for the N. Ky. folks who used to listen to games on WHKK-FM!

I know you are joking, but I never saw Dale or Hardy with a camera. We sat next to them several years on press row...always on the side and usually near a free throw line. Saw Hardy at the Sweet 16 just last year. Good guys!

I was joking about Dale and Hardy, loved those two on the air when I was a high schooler. I was informed minutes ago that the Charles Hurt photograph with the hand through the cylinder was published in The Kentucky Post during the 1978 Sweet 16. Not sure who took the photo, but it is a classic. When I was growing up The Kentucky Post did a fantastic job of covering the 9th Region basketball and football. I understand it went out of business several years ago. We have The Oldham Era down here covering our schools, plus the Courier-Journal which hardly notices our teams.