Newport Central Catholic 78 St. Henry 60

NewCath much bigger and faster than I had heard. Quick guards kept pressure on the whole game. This 9th Region crew allowed much more physical play than we usually see in the 10th. Not saying they did a bad job, just that it was much different. St. Henry did not have the horses to bang.

NewCath was just better than St.Henry. And there is nothing wrong with that as they have a really good team. Especially when they hit their outside shots. Should be a great game with Holy Cross on a neutral floor.

Maley played well for St.Henry again. He has improved quite a bit the last 6 games or so.

Congrats to Adam Goetz for St.Henry on scoring his 1,000 point. (not sure who the last 1000 point scorer was?).

Finally…hats off to the custodian/janitor at Lloyd. Guy works non stop. Lloyd has done a great job hosting the all A.

one thing about Maley... no matter who is on the court he leads the world in heart and effort.

Didn't he get 10 of St. Henry's first 12? When the lid was on it for all the other Crusaders, he broke through and kept the first quarter from being a total disaster. Love his effort.

Article courtesy of Rick Broering

Weyer returns to lead NewCath to All ‘A’ finals

After missing the Ninth Region All “A” quarterfinals with a wrist injury, Newport Central Catholic forward Ben Weyer returned to lead the Thoroughbreds with 14 points in a 78-60 semifinals win over St. Henry at Lloyd High School Thursday night.

NewCath pushed the pace of the game on both ends, and shot well from the outside, knocking down 10 threes total – five in each half. Weyer, Brian Anderson, John Ludwig and Luke Moeves each hit multiple 3-pointers for the Thoroughbreds.

“We shot the ball really well,” NewCath coach Ron Dawn said. “I think we have a pretty good shooting team. The biggest part of it with us is when we’re taking good shots – when we take good shots, we usually shoot it well.

With the win, NewCath advances to face Holy Cross in the finals at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Lloyd. The Thoroughbreds have won the last three All “A” regional and state titles.

“When we talk about it at school or something, obviously we talk about wanting to win it,” Weyer said. “As a team, we’re just taking it one game at a time. We’re not as strong as we have been, and the competition might be a little better this year. It’s my senior year – I want to get back down there and I want to win my fourth one, but all our focus is on Holy Cross right now.”

Weyer said his wrist, which was heavily taped on Thursday during the game and in a black brace afterwards, is improving each day. He suffered the injury while bracing his fall during the Thoroughbreds’ loss to Covington Catholic last Friday.

“I’ve been doing a lot of icing, and used the stem machine twice at school today,” Weyer said. “Everyday it’s been getting better. I didn’t feel it much tonight. I’m going to go home and ice it, do nothing tomorrow, and then I’ll be ready for Holy Cross on Saturday night.”

The Thoroughbreds held the Crusaders scoreless for the first four-plus minutes of the game. Brennan Hall’s layup in transition with 4:28 to play in the first quarter stretched his team’s lead to double-digits, 11-0, and forced St. Henry coach Dave Faust to call a timeout.

St. Henry junior Stephen Maley ended the Thoroughbreds’ 13-0 run with a mid-range jumper and a three on consecutive possessions. Maley scored seven of his team-high 15 points in the first period.

Brian Anderson’s steal and layup just before the buzzer gave the Breds a 23-9 lead after one.

NewCath’s full-court pressure gave the Crusaders some trouble with turnovers, and kept them from getting into their offense for much of the first half. Missed shots and miscues turned into transition opportunities for the Thoroughbreds’ offense, and when they settled into the halfcourt, they moved the ball to find open jump shots.

“Our big thing was we wanted to dictate tempo,” Dawn said. “We didn’t want them to be able to walk it up. We really wanted to get them going up and down. We gave up too many easy ones, but we forced some things and got the tempo the way we wanted. We got some easy ones too, so I was happy overall with that.”

After trailing by as many as 19, Adam Goetz’s 3-pointer midway through the second quarter capped an 11-2 St. Henry run that cut the Crusaders’ deficit to 37-27. A runner by Goetz later in the half gave him 1,000 career points.

However, NewCath closed the half on a 10-2 run to push its lead to 47-29 at halftime.

The Crusaders never seriously threatened in the second half. Trey Wurtz’s baseline floater with just over a minute to play in the third quarter took the Breds’ lead over 20, 64-43.

NewCath (14-3) – Hall 5 0 11, Anderson 4 0 10, Pangallo 1 1 3, Moeves 4 0 10, E. Anderson 5 1 12, Ludwig 2 0 6, Neff 1 0 2, Iles 0 2 2, Wurtz 4 0 8, Weyer 5 2 14. Totals 31 6 78.

St. Henry (7-12) –El. Berling 3 0 6, Williams 2 0 5, Goetz 4 0 9, Hannon 1 0 2, Maley 5 4 15, McQueeney 0 2 2, Setters 1 0 3, Wallenhorst 5 0 11, Machcinski 2 0 4, Meiman 1 0 3. Totals 24 6 60.

Halftime: NewCath 47, St. Henry 29. 3-pointers: N 10(Weyer 2, Moeves 2, Ludwig 2, B. Anderson 2, Hall, E. Anderson ), S 6(Williams, Goetz, Maley, Setters, Wallenhorst, Meiman).