NKY All Star Games

I know there is a thread started in the football forum about the NKY all star football game and was wondering if there would again be a basketball game as well. Believe the last few years have had a senior boys, senior girls, junior boys and junior girls game. Anyone have information they would like to share?

Sadly, the NKY all star games have slowly lost interest over the past few years.

I was given the green light by the coaches to try to do something different to get interest back in this game but there are many road blocks that make it difficult...the biggest being the only time to really hold it is in June, when school is out and most kids just want to enjoy their summer.

• 3 weeks later...

So in the N Ky area we have had the girls basketball Sr and Jr games on June 7th. The baseball games are scheduled for June 15th and the football game is scheduled for June 11th.

Seems as though all these other coaches of the other sports have found the time, venue, and players available to make these games happen. Maybe needs to be an agenda item at the next boys' basketball coaches association meeting - the rest of the N KY coaches making you guys look bad.

So in the N Ky area we have had the girls basketball Sr and Jr games on June 7th. The baseball games are scheduled for June 15th and the football game is scheduled for June 11th.

Seems as though all these other coaches of the other sports have found the time, venue, and players available to make these games happen. Maybe needs to be an agenda item at the next boys' basketball coaches association meeting - the rest of the N KY coaches making you guys look bad.

The issue isn't scheduling a game. It wouldn't be that hard to find 10-15 NKY boys basketball players to meet at a venue and essentially run open gym.

Nothing against the girls games or coaches, but I'd be willing to bet there were less than 200 people in attendance for those all star games.

This isn't about attendance. These games don't draw the casual fan. Those that attend are parents, grandparents, and siblings. It wouldn't be a major fundraiser but it surely would cover expenses.

Its about the coaches being organized and giving the seniors an opportunity to play together one last time. Football, baseball, and girls basketball coaches think its important enough to make it happen.

This isn't about attendance. These games don't draw the casual fan. Those that attend are parents, grandparents, and siblings. It wouldn't be a major fundraiser but it surely would cover expenses.

Its about the coaches being organized and giving the seniors an opportunity to play together one last time. Football, baseball, and girls basketball coaches think its important enough to make it happen.

Agree. They also just had the boys soccer all star game last week.

The last few times the basketball game was held they were pulling kids out of the stands to fill the teams and there was probably less than 50 total people in the gym. I believe that contributed to it.

Simple as that. The student-athlete participation just wasn't there for the boys basketball all-star game. Put the fact that is must be a summer time event before dead period and it becomes too much of a hassle for not enough of a quality experience.

Simple as that. The student-athlete participation just wasn't there for the boys basketball all-star game. Put the fact that is must be a summer time event before dead period and it becomes too much of a hassle for not enough of a quality experience.

Bingo....the boys game not being played has nothing to do with coaches not "being organized."

Hate to say it, but the best kids in the area aren't interested in playing in an "all star game" against kids that they could play at pleasure isle or one of the local parks any day of the week.

And for the record, it was my idea to hold it a week or two after the state tournament ends and was told "baseball coaches will never go for it."

So in the N Ky area we have had the girls basketball Sr and Jr games on June 7th. The baseball games are scheduled for June 15th and the football game is scheduled for June 11th. And Softball scheduled for (tonight) June 10th at Dixie.

You forgot one, fixed it for you. :lol2:

So why is boys basketball so much different than every other sport holding the game. Plain and simple - it is about putting forth the effort.

Take a look at the football rosters this week. The "best" players aren't suiting up for that game either, but there will be plenty of kids on the field. Just because Bolden or McDonald may choose not to play doesn't mean the other 50 or so seniors in N Ky wouldn't have appreciated the coaches making the effort. I got one sitting in the other room at my house that would have loved the experience of playing with the other seniors from other schools.

^^^ Again...it has nothing to do with effort. If you feel you can make the game happem, contact Rod Snapp (I believe he is the head of NKCA..him or Chevy) and let them know YOU would like to make it happen next year.

^^^

Another typical response from you.

I don't understand why you feel the need to defend, explain, or invite others to make it happen. It's really this simple -- there are games in nearly every other sport in N Ky. Why not boys' basketball?

^^^

Another typical response from you.

I don't understand why you feel the need to defend, explain, or invite others to make it happen. It's really this simple -- there are games in nearly every other sport in N Ky. Why not boys' basketball?

Typical response? I'm simply stating facts.

If there is no interest, it's hard to make an event happen.