Societal Decay

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as peaceful protest anymore.

The protests that led to the Boston Massacre in 1770 wasn't exactly a peaceful love-in. Or the New York City draft riots in 1863. Or the Bonus Army March after World War I.

There are plenty of peaceful protest that happen all of the time.

Agreed.

Also, while not advocating violence, I will say that I can at least understand why someone might think they'd need to resort to other means if they'd ask nicely too long and real problems only fell on deaf ears.

Agreed.

Also, while not advocating violence, I will say that I can at least understand why someone might think they'd need to resort to other means if they'd ask nicely too long and real problems only fell on deaf ears.

I don't disagree..........but most of the folks in the video are just looking for an excuse to be destructive.

Agreed.

Yeah but there are ways to nicely get peoples attention without robbing a convenience store, getting new kicks at the shore store that was vandalized and destroying peoples private property and vehicles.

Police chief said that several citizens stepped in and stopped some of the violence that was occurring by what he called outside agitators. I'd like to see how many of those arrested for rioting and vandalism were from outside of Baltimore.

Agreed.

Bull, these kinds of actions can never be tolerated or encouraged. You'd think there are enough Lawyers in this country that any issue could be heard without violence. Problems is in many cases (maybe not this one) riots aren't because they aren't heard, it's because they don't like what they are told. Basically if we don't get our way we are going to riot, it's the modern age extortion of our society.

Bull, these kinds of actions can never be tolerated or encouraged. You'd think there are enough Lawyers in this country that any issue could be heard without violence. Problems is in many cases (maybe not this one) riots aren't because they aren't heard, it's because they don't like what they are told. Basically if we don't get our way we are going to riot, it's the modern age extortion of our society.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but there are a TON of suits in Baltimore that the city has paid out where they look guilty as can be on them. Maybe if those were dealt with, the proper heads rolled, etc., then we wouldn't be in this situation either.

At some point, right or wrong, people get tired of asking nicely and feel powerless when their pleas fall on deaf ears. That's when things really get ugly.

Not to go all Hobbesian, but look up how many wrongful death, police brutality, what have you cases in Baltimore over the past few years. You will see an alarming number. Sociologically, these kinds of things don't just happen overnight. There is a strong undercurrent that is needed before things take off.

Just playing Devil's Advocate again, but I would take it a step further and say that if you took the bolded and applied it to police brutality, then the same would ring true. You aren't helping crime when you paralyze someone who gets arrested on the ride downtown. You aren't helping the public's trust of police when you shoot someone in the back and appear to be planting evidence on them.