Is feeling a little sorry for Ray Rice a righteous emotion?

There’s really nothing new in the new interview, and nothing written in it will change the fact that Rice remains unemployed at a time when rosters can have up to 90 players, which equates to 2,880 total jobs in the NFL. He didn’t go to the Veteran Combine, which could have gotten someone’s attention. Instead, Rice waits — possibly for the draft to come and go and for teams that need running backs to not get enough of them.

Even then, teams will be far more inclined to sign an undrafted rookie who is younger, cheaper, willing and able to play special teams, and less controversial. While everyone is entitled to a second chance, Rice simply is no longer good enough, and he doesn’t play a position sufficiently important enough to persuade a team to justify giving him that second chance.

Another Ray Rice interview emerges | ProFootballTalk

The person I really feel for in all of this is his wife.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read RU's first post. I still maintain that the reason Goodell's first punishment of Rice was only two games was because his wife was in the meeting with Ray and him. I guarantee she told Goodell that by suspending Ray for a long time, you are only hurting her again. Since she had already made her decision to stay with him, by taking away his pay, you are only hurting her again - first she gets hit and then loses her family income because of it. Suspending Ray Rice for a long time was the right thing to do but it sure did not help her at all...

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read RU's first post. I still maintain that the reason Goodell's first punishment of Rice was only two games was because his wife was in the meeting with Ray and him. I guarantee she told Goodell that by suspending Ray for a long time, you are only hurting her again. Since she had already made her decision to stay with him, by taking away his pay, you are only hurting her again - first she gets hit and then loses her family income because of it. Suspending Ray Rice for a long time was the right thing to do but it sure did not help her at all...

True story. Sadly, that's the reality that some women in that situation find themselves in. As someone whose worked with indigenous people, the fact that the husband is usually the provider makes their decision tough on them given the financial consequences as well.