• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

September 20th

Unranked 2A Somerset 35

#5 2A Glasgow 13

Somerset is drastically underrated IMO.

Their losses are to the #1 3A team, #7 5A team, and #8 1A team

And they barely beat an 0-5 team. That was their only win heading into the Glasgow game. Somerset played their way out of the top 10. Now they need to play their way back in. That Glasgow win was a huge step back toward the top 10.

And they barely beat an 0-5 team. That was their only win heading into the Glasgow game. Somerset played their way out of the top 10. Now they need to play their way back in. That Glasgow win was a huge step back toward the top 10.

Then why is Glasgow ranked #5?

Didn't they play their way out of the Top 10 when they were beat soundly by an unranked 1-3 team who's only win was against an 0-5 team?

Evidently not

Evidently it also does not apply to 2-3 Murray as well who has a comparative resume, except they blew out their 0-5 team (although by comparing schedules it is very evident Marshall County's winless season has came against a much weaker schedule than Southwestern) :sssh:

Who has Newport Central Catholic beaten to stay in the rankings at 1-4? An Ashland team that has a 1 point win over 1A Raceland, a 1 point win over Russell and a win over a 2-2 Ironton, Ohio team that is ranked 338th in Ohio? If they are getting the benefit of the doubt because of a tough schedule why not the Jumpers?

September 20th

Unranked 2A Somerset 35

#5 2A Glasgow 13

Somerset is drastically underrated IMO.

Their losses are to the #1 3A team, #7 5A team, and #8 1A team

:thumb: I agree. They need to be in Top 10 or at least at #10. They beat #5 Glasgow. Somerset is either under-rated or Glasgow is over-rated. Take your pick.

I think Somerset is a top 10 team.

Murray led the #1 team in 1A by 18 points before Mayfield took over. They lost to a top 10 team in 5A by three points and a top 15 team in 6A. You can't knock Murray's schedule.

The team no one is talking about is CA-L. Three straight shutouts and have allowed just 32 points in five games. Don't sleep on the Centurions.

Murray led the #1 team in 1A by 18 points before Mayfield took over. They lost to a top 10 team in 5A by three points and a top 15 team in 6A. You can't knock Murray's schedule.

The team no one is talking about is CA-L. Three straight shutouts and have allowed just 32 points in five games. Don't sleep on the Centurions.

CAL and DeSales have really been super impressive... that Western side of AA is going to be a lot of fun to watch in November. Lots of really good teams on that side.. probably 12 of the Top 15 AA teams in the State on the same side of the bracket.

Also I wasn't poo pooing Murray's schedule..just stating they had a similar resume as Somerset to point out the flaw in VoR's "Voice of Reason" as to why Glasgow stayed a Top 5 team whereas the team who beat them going away didn't even crack the Top 10. Murray is clearly a Top 10 team, but IMHO so is Somerset.

Nope. You can't knock their schedule at all.

CAL and DeSales have really been super impressive... that Western side of AA is going to be a lot of fun to watch in November. Lots of really good teams on that side.. probably 12 of the Top 15 AA teams in the State on the same side of the bracket.

Also I wasn't poo pooing Murray's schedule..just stating they had a similar resume as Somerset to point out the flaw in VoR's "Voice of Reason" as to why Glasgow stayed a Top 5 team whereas the team who beat them going away didn't even crack the Top 10. Murray is clearly a Top 10 team, but IMHO so is Somerset.

The thing that hurt Somerset IMO was game 1 - the loss to Pulaski. We now know Pulaski Co. is pretty darn good but that loss put a negative spin on Somerset, especially since it was such a lopsided loss. Then in week 2 Somerset gets slammed again. Once again, a very good team in Belfry, even better than anyone thought at the time. So Somerset looks like they are down because they got spanked pretty good by those two. Then you get to game three and Somerset barely beats a team that is not very good, now 0-5. That one probably hurt even more than the two losses. That knocks Somerset out of the top 10. Next game, another loss, this time to a 1A school that many people also think is down a little, even though they are ranked in the top 10 of 1A. So at this point, Somerset is firmly out of the top 10 in most people's eyes and my guess is, barely in the top 15. Does one very good win versus Glasgow wash all that away?

That being said, I do think Somerset needs to be considered for top 10. If they get another good win this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the top 10.