Mason County 72 Augusta 71

While I have no issues with Mason County, how huge would that have been for Augusta!

I'm sure it's big anyway, and that the Panthers probably feel better about the loss than the Royals do the win.

Congratulations on the big effort. The Panthers will be making the trip "from the river to the region" next week.

In all seriousness, what an atmosphere and what a game. Huge shots for both teams all night long. Huge misses late in the game at the FT line for both teams as well. Black with 25 and 10; Johnson with 12 and 11 (I think) for Mason; and I think Walton was in double figures. Bach (he's the real deal) with 27 and 6; Dalton Appleman (happy birthday; he's the son of an old golfing buddy) with 16. Probably never more than a 4 or 5 point lead for either side most of the second half. Panthers' last shot hung on the rim but didn't fall.

Two glaring weaknesses for the Royals - handling big, fast guards (guard play is still the meat and potatoes of high-school basketball; and to be fair to the Mason County defenders, Appleman and Bach hit some NBA-range shots tonight) and converting free throws. I gazed into my crystal ball before the game started and told the erstwhile Randy Parker of the Mason County woes at the charity stripe. Almost made me look like I know something about the game, which is not really the case.

Speaking of Randy Parker, what a pleasant young man he is. Even if he had a speck or two of mashed potatoes on his chin remaining from supper. Here's hoping the young lady in your family feels much better real soon.

Congrats to both squads on providing a feeble old man with some great entertainment.thumb[1].gif

What an incredible game & environment! Very impressed with Augusta's determination to win this. They had three very good looks in the closing seconds & just couldn't get a shot to fall. It seemed like Bach's last attempt hung on the rim for an eternity before rolling off.

Both teams left a lot at the free throw line. Mason County had some turnovers that seemed uncharacteristic for a typical Mason County team. Black is a monster in the paint. He's just bigger & stronger than everyone else. I can see why teams have their hands full with him.

Congrats to the Royals on the win & also to Augusta for bringing everything they had.

Never a doubt.

:lol:

In all seriousness, what an atmosphere and what a game. Huge shots for both teams all night long. Huge misses late in the game at the FT line for both teams as well. Black with 25 and 10; Johnson with 12 and 11 (I think) for Mason; and I think Walton was in double figures. Bach (he's the real deal) with 27 and 6; Dalton Appleman (happy birthday; he's the son of an old golfing buddy) with 16. Probably never more than a 4 or 5 point lead for either side most of the second half. Panthers' last shot hung on the rim but didn't fall.

Two glaring weaknesses for the Royals - handling big, fast guards (guard play is still the meat and potatoes of high-school basketball; and to be fair to the Mason County defenders, Appleman and Bach hit some NBA-range shots tonight) and converting free throws. I gazed into my crystal ball before the game started and told the erstwhile Randy Parker of the Mason County woes at the charity stripe. Almost made me look like I know something about the game, which is not really the case.

Speaking of Randy Parker, what a pleasant young man he is. Even if he had a speck or two of mashed potatoes on his chin remaining from supper. Here's hoping the young lady in your family feels much better real soon.

Congrats to both squads on providing a feeble old man with some great entertainment.thumb[1].gif

No doubt on those 3-pointers. Some special shooting going on in the Igloo tonight. And you were spot-on when you mentioned the FT shooting. And you also said you felt like the game would be close & that Augusta would never go away. I think you're sandbagging a little on your knowledge of basketball. You had it pretty well covered, I think.

Pleasant, huh? That's pretty much what everybody else says. (Get that sarcasm detector out, folks)

The young lady is feeling better. Appreciate the concern. :thumb:

While I have no issues with Mason County, how huge would that have been for Augusta!

I'm sure it's big anyway, and that the Panthers probably feel better about the loss than the Royals do the win.

Congratulations on the big effort. The Panthers will be making the trip "from the river to the region" next week.

If they can duplicate tonight's performance, Augusta will be a team to be reckoned with next week. Coach Hinson had the boys focused & fired up tonight...just like he used to play.