What Makes a bowl game a Great Bowl Game?

I have been to many of the big early season Bowl Games over the years, I always hear this bowl or that bowl is the "Best".

I am from Corbin and thought that when we started the Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic, and for a few years following, that it was the absolute best high school bowl I had ever been to.

Several of the bowls I have been to call their bowls "One of the best" in the state.

What makes it one of the best?

I would think that the best bowls are one's that draw loads of fans from both sides, so that the games bring in a large amount of dollars for the host team. To draw these fans you need to do more than host 2 football games and paint your field nice.

The CF Pigskin Classic in the first several years had it all and was the best. We had BIG teams from in-state meeting BIG teams from out of state. We had pre-game entertainment, half time entertainment for both games, between game entertainment. Referees with wireless mics which would be broadcast over the rental sound system. This sound system was manned by a DJ who would play music during timeouts.

Someone should invest in a halfway descent sound system for our football field, ours is very embarrassing and quite possibly the worst that I have heard.

A bowl game, IMO, needs to be fan friendly. most are just 2 games in 1 day and not something that will draw people other than true fans to the games.

I agree with Newarkcathloicfan. It starts with the teams that are playing. I have never understood why schools or booster clubs put on these bowl games and then invite out of state or teams that have to travel 2-2 1/2 hours away to play in a bowl game. I mean the main objective is to raise money. So why not invite local teams to play in these things you will get a good gate, and there will be some interest from the community and the sponsors that are sponsoring that event. For example, the Pigskin Classic brought in three good teams. But you have Dunbar playing Mboro. I am sure a lot of fans would come from Lynn Camp, Whitley, Bell, heck other local teams that would bring a lot of fans that would put money at the gate. Heck try to sit up the game like a college game, bring in stuff that doesn't normally come in. Get those inflatables and give the kids a place to go and have fun. Bring in a local radio station to brodcast from the pre-game, this would just bring more people in and there is all kinds of ideas. Heck hire me to direct this thing, I will make it a great time for everyone. But it has to start up wiht the matchups of the teams playing.

Get those inflatables and give the kids a place to go and have fun. Bring in a local radio station to brodcast from the pre-game, this would just bring more people in and there is all kinds of ideas. Heck hire me to direct this thing, I will make it a great time for everyone.

This is great:laugh::dancingpa

Being somewhat of a newcomer to Ky HS football, why are they called "Bowl" games"?

I think the first high school bowl game in Kentucky might have been the Recreation Bowl in 1948 in Mt. Sterling - it was a post season game then to raise funds for a recreation park. I think I have heard it was before organized playoffs and unofficially determined the state champ. The organizers were probably just cashing in on the bowl concept that colleges were using for post season games - (from Wikipedia -The history of the bowl game begins with the Tournament East-West football game, sponsored by the Tournament of Roses Association between Michigan and Stanford. The Tournament of Roses eventually sponsored an annual contest starting with the 1916 Tournament of Roses football game. With the 1923 Rose Bowl it began to be played at the newly completed Rose Bowl stadium, and thus the contest itself became known as the Rose Bowl game. The label "bowl" was attached to the festival name, even though the games were not always played in bowl-shaped stadiums.