Dixie old and new share hoops history

Outstanding story even if your not a Dixie fan.

Reads like the young Dixie Basketball players really appreciated their honored guest coming out to visit them and to teach them a bit about Red Colonel Basketball history!

Link

Written by: William Croyle

NKy.com

Colonels old and new share hoops history

CRESTVIEW HILLS - The past met the present Friday here at Dixie Heights High School, and though separated by 54 years, the bond was natural and indestructible.

"Ninth region champions," said junior forward Zeke Pike. "That's our connection, and it always will be."

The Colonels, 29-3, won the regional basketball championship Sunday and will play in the Sweet Sixteen state championship tournament at 8 p.m. Wednesday against Lexington Catholic. It was the school's first regional title since 1957, and just the third in school history.

To read more use the link above!

I remember going through some of my dad's newspaper clippings from their '57 season which included the Nicholas County and Lafayette articles along with the boxscores. They beat Nicholas County who was led by future UK player Ned Jennings in round one but lost to Ralph Carlisle's Lafayette Generals in the 2nd round. Lafayette ended up winning the '57 title, Carlisle's third championship of the decade. UK great Billy Ray Lickert was KY Mr. Basketball in '57 and dad always told me how good he was. Dixie had two players good enough to make the KY/Indiana all star series that season, so they had to be pretty solid.

I remember going through some of my dad's newspaper clippings from their '57 season which included the Nicholas County and Lafayette articles along with the boxscores. They beat Nicholas County who was led by future UK player Ned Jennings in round one but lost to Ralph Carlisle's Lafayette Generals in the 2nd round. Lafayette ended up winning the '57 title, Carlisle's third championship of the decade. UK great Billy Ray Lickert was KY Mr. Basketball in '57 and dad always told me how good he was. Dixie had two players good enough to make the KY/Indiana all star series that season, so they had to be pretty solid.

That's cool; I thought of Big Joe as soon as Dixie won last Sunday.