Former Russell Players

yahoo83

To any Russell Fans:

I realize they have named the basketball arena and football field after legendary coaches, but why doesn't Russell honor more athletes? It's sad because they have had some great athletes go on to have very successful college careers (Groves, Maynard, Nate McPeek, etc.) every other school around here honors athletes. Boyd Co. honored Jeremy Sheffy's number already, I just think it's sad good people go unnoticed by a high school that should honor people. What do you think?

To any Russell Fans:

I realize they have named the basketball arena and football field after legendary coaches, but why doesn't Russell honor more athletes? It's sad because they have had some great athletes go on to have very successful college careers (Groves, Maynard, Nate McPeek, etc.) every other school around here honors athletes. Boyd Co. honored Jeremy Sheffy's number already, I just think it's sad good people go unnoticed by a high school that should honor people. What do you think?

How do you suggest they honor them?

Honor them with a jersey hanging up in the stadium, do something instead of nothing. I just think its way past due for some of the former athletes to get some recognition for a school that has such great tradition. You have a guy that played at Alabama, a guy that played at UK for 4 years, and a guy who recently was a 4 year starter and all conference player at Marshall University. It's not everyday you see people from our area doing things like that and Russell should take care of those people with honor and prestige.

Honor them with a jersey hanging up in the stadium, do something instead of nothing. I just think its way past due for some of the former athletes to get some recognition for a school that has such great tradition. You have a guy that played at Alabama, a guy that played at UK for 4 years, and a guy who recently was a 4 year starter and all conference player at Marshall University. It's not everyday you see people from our area doing things like that and Russell should take care of those people with honor and prestige.

Keep in mind! They get there Jersey hung up for what they did in High school. Not at the next level. Well except for Billy Ray Cyrus. They hung his up at McDonalds.

I do agree that I was surprised that jersey number 24 and 25 are not in the trophy case at the school. Maybe they are and I don't know it.

y83 I think you have a great idea but retiring jersey numbers is not reality in High School IMO. I do think a "Hall of Fame" could work. The only problem I see with the Hall of Fame is to make sure that it made reference to all of the old school guys and gals, with the recent additions, and that would take quite a bit of work.

Who knows maybe somebody will do it, but you couldn't use "school" money to do it. It would have to come out of the athletic budget or donations.

Keep in mind! They get there Jersey hung up for what they did in High school. Not at the next level. Well except for Billy Ray Cyrus. They hung his up at McDonalds.

I do agree that I was surprised that jersey number 24 and 25 are not in the trophy case at the school. Maybe they are and I don't know it.

Check again. Its not a jersey but they are well represented in the trophy case.

Bill Vallance put out a program "Statistical History of Russell High School Football'. They sold them at the games two years ago. Every player that made an All-anything team is mentioned along with the year they made it. Also stats and records from every season that Russell has played football. Including every school record and who holds it. It is very thorough and I'm sure was alot of work. It is a nice tribute to all former players.

Maybe an updated version could be reproduced every couple of years. It is very informative.

All great ideas, onetoya I agree with you but it doesn't take any money to bring back someone and honor them. I have been to several honoree functions at the high school level and its all about taking care of people that did things from that school. I do disagree about the high school vs college statement it shouldn't matter

One thing that the football boosters considered very heavily last year was a "hall of fame" wall. It was going to be opened to any sport or academic achievement that anyone wanted to honor current or former students. We had went through all the channels and had it approved to do, but we put it on hold because we had a few of fund raisers going on and we wanted to get them done first.

Anyway, I'm sure that if there was an interest from the public to do so, we could look at getting it up and going again.