3 Good Articles

acemona

Today's (12-24) Cincinnati Enquirer has an article about the number of Ky. students going to college. They give a few stats such as the percentage of students who are on free or reduced lunches that go to college, which is 44.3%. For more info go to http://kentuckyp20.ky.gov/DataReports.aspx

It also says that 97.7% of Paintsville Ind. HS and 86.5% of Beechwood's students go to college, while 47.9% of Holmes students go to college.

Some think I'm cruel when I bring this up, but I think some kind of working institution for these kind of kids (kids of all race) where they get proper schooling and learn how to do all kinds of different jobs would be the best thing to give them a real chance in life. The biggest hurdle would be funding.
You mean like this http://www.jobcorps.gov/AboutJobCorps.aspx

They were meant only for comparison and to point out the fact that it is really just as easy for a poor white to get in as it is for a poor black. Having never been a poor black kid (kinda the point of the articles) I cant really comment on the difficulty of applying and being accepted to college. The % would seem to say that even with programs aimed at attracting minorities, they are not enrolling at a significant rate.

RTS, you will be surprised to know that in many situations I do think it is best for a kid to get out of an unhealthy and even dangerous environment. Sometimes incarceration is even a good thing, but the state doesn't want to do that. We need more places that offer 24/7 supervision but also offers therapeutic and educational services. Even if it is just for a short time.

Again, I don't think it really tells that without knowing what percentage of each race applies to college.