December 11, 201114 yr I can see that reasoning. Should he not have been more aware of his surroundings? Should he not have expected to have been hit? No. It rarely happens. I played a lot of ball, and have never seen anything like that in person. When's the last time we have seen a brawl like that during a D1 college basketball game?
December 11, 201114 yr Sean Miller said " I'm proud of those guys. I would expect them to get in a fight"
December 11, 201114 yr It certainly looks to me as though he's simply trying to keep space between UC players and his teammate that had already been hit. He did not appear, from the video I watched, to go into UC players swinging or on the attack. He simply had his arms extended out in front of him. What is it you see him doing? I see him doing what you are saying. I am simply saying he should have been more aware that some one may try to hurt him. That is all that has been said from the jump. If I enter into the mob to try to make it peaceful I am going in knowing I may a.) get physically harmed b.) going in protecting myself and c.) keeping an eye on everyone in front of me or in my peripheral. Maybe it is because I have been struck like that before and learned my lesson. I didn't want him to get hit I just hoped he would have been more prepared and aware of what was going on. He's lucky he wasn't hurt worse.
December 11, 201114 yr Saw the clip in it's entirety. I didn't know that Gates threw more than the one punch. They need to put his stuff on the curb on Calhoun and wish him a good life. Which I doubt it will be.
December 11, 201114 yr Sean Miller said " I'm proud of those guys. I would expect them to get in a fight" Not sure what we take from that?
December 11, 201114 yr No. It rarely happens. I played a lot of ball, and have never seen anything like that in person. When's the last time we have seen a brawl like that during a D1 college basketball game? I haven't seen a brawl like that anywhere. I can see that point. Why would he expect to get hit on the court. I can see that line of thinking on his part. Wouldn't have been my mindset in that situation but I can understand that logic.
December 11, 201114 yr Sean Miller said " I'm proud of those guys. I would expect them to get in a fight" I hope there is more to it than just that. He's just as dumb as Holloway and Lyons if not.
December 11, 201114 yr Saw the clip in it's entirety. I didn't know that Gates threw more than the one punch. They need to put his stuff on the curb on Calhoun and wish him a good life. Which I doubt it will be. I agree. He definitely was too ready to fight.
December 11, 201114 yr Evidently Holloway did not say the right things in a post game interview, calling the Xavier team "gangstas." Will X's administration step in? Black eye to the institution priding itself on academics and character. Was not impressed with his post game interview. I am surprised that X's PR people did not pull those X players aside to tell them what they should not say.
December 11, 201114 yr Was not impressed with his post game interview. I am surprised that X's PR people did not pull those X players aside to tell them what they should not say. Should not have let them go out there at all. Very stupid people at X
December 11, 201114 yr So he shouldn't have been aware that someone may want to cause harm to him in that situation? How often do we see punches thrown in those situations, especially from a guy that your not even into it with at the time? Usually in these situations especially in college we see a bunch of pushing and shoving. Then maybe a punch or two from the people who were doing the arguing and fighting. We hardly ever see something like that where he is going in there trying to create space, and then get punched from someone on the side who you were not even into it with. I mean your argument would be sorta valid if it was a regular old street fight outside, where you know punches definitely will be thrown in every direction. However not in that situation, at most you might think you might be getting pushed back from the other team.
December 11, 201114 yr I see him doing what you are saying. I am simply saying he should have been more aware that some one may try to hurt him. That is all that has been said from the jump. If I enter into the mob to try to make it peaceful I am going in knowing I may a.) get physically harmed b.) going in protecting myself and c.) keeping an eye on everyone in front of me or in my peripheral. Maybe it is because I have been struck like that before and learned my lesson. I didn't want him to get hit I just hoped he would have been more prepared and aware of what was going on. He's lucky he wasn't hurt worse. Just keep in mind that even "being prepared" or "aware of your surroundings" doesn't eliminate any possibility of being hit. There were 5-6 UC players in very close proxmity to him - hard to account for or prepare yourself for every one of their actions. Especially in an environment where you really don't expect it to turn into a good old-fashioned street brawl.
December 11, 201114 yr Just keep in mind that even "being prepared" or "aware of your surroundings" doesn't eliminate any possibility of being hit. There were 5-6 UC players in very close proxmity to him - hard to account for or prepare yourself for every one of their actions. Exactly. I've been in the middle of a brawl before. Fists and other things can come from anywhere.
December 11, 201114 yr Exactly. I've been in the middle of a brawl before. Fists and other things can come from anywhere. The verbal, BGP brawls? Or the normal ones? :lol:
December 11, 201114 yr How often do we see punches thrown in those situations, especially from a guy that your not even into it with at the time? Usually in these situations especially in college we see a bunch of pushing and shoving. Then maybe a punch or two from the people who were doing the arguing and fighting. We hardly ever see something like that where he is going in there trying to create space, and then get punched from someone on the side who you were not even into it with. I mean your argument would be sorta valid if it was a regular old street fight outside, where you know punches definitely will be thrown in every direction. However not in that situation, at most you might think you might be getting pushed back from the other team. See post 142. Me personally. I don't trust anyone of any age when emotions become hostile like that regardless of where I am but I understand the logic of Frease not thinking he would get hit. I was looking at it from my viewpoint(don't trust agitated emotional people in any environment, Wu Tang Clan....protect your neck) instead of his(no one is going to punch me out here, I need to help restore order). I get it now.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.