12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

Colonels_Wear_Blue

More like Hank Sr., Waylon, Willie, Merle, Bocephus, Cash, Whitley, and Strait for me.

I agree with FKYW, Pop Country is a plague on good music.

I dig some Waylon. I also like his son Shooter. Can't stand Hank Jr. Like old Hank Sr stuff. Big Johnny Cash fan - who isn't? Keith Whitley's voice is pure honey. George Strait is country royalty.

As I said, I like a lot of it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Jamey Johnson is "country" and worth listening to right now. I also agree with you, that finding an actual "COUNTRY" act is very hard to do.

I really like Jamey Johnson. "In Color" is one of my all-time favorites.

Tom Petty wrote a song called "Joe" that pretty much says it all about the dumbing down of music. I've had to modify a few of the lyrics due to BGP rules and regs. The substituted words are in bold.

my name's Joe I 'm the ceo

yeah, I 'm the man

makes the big wheels roll

I 'm the hand on

the green light switch

you get to be famous

I get to be rich

go get me a kid

with a good-looking face

bring me a kid

can remember his place

some hungry poet

son of a witch

he gets to be famous I get to be rich

or bring me a girl

they're always the best

you put 'em on stage

and you have 'em undress

some angel smore

who can learn a guitar lick

hey, that's what I call music

well they'll come lookin' for money

when the public gets bored

but we'll fight 'em with lawyers

they could never afford

yeah, I 'll make her look

like a spoiled little witch

she gets to be famous

I get to be rich

or bring me a girl

they're always the best

you put 'em on stage

and you have 'em undress

some angel smore

who can learn a guitar lick

hey, that's what I call music

so burnt-out johnny

thinks our books are shifty

what good's that alchy to me

when he's fifty

we could move catalog

if he'd only die quicker

send my regards to the gig

and a case of good liquor

he gets to be famous

I get to be rich

he gets to be famous

I get to be rich

my name's Joe , I 'm the ceo

I 'm the man who makes

the big wheels roll

I love Pop. Love it!

In response to individual items above:

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix. Now that's sad.
  2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10. Love Rihanna, so no biggie to me. Hate Led Zeppelin, but love both REM and Depeche Mode. And neither were really focused on top 10's, so it's a possibility the effort wasn't there on their part.
  3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single. That's beyond sad, it's tragic.
  4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”. I love the Beatle's, but "Hey Jude" isn't one I'd put up against "Low" in comparison. Totally different in every way.
  5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song. I love Elvis, I love S&G...but I flippin' ADORE "I Gotta Feeling"
  6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record. Springsteen's my man, and Queen was ALL That and a box of chocolates. Nirvana, not so much. Plus, look at the staying power and longevity of Springsteen. He writes and records music for the ages. Celine Dion records for the aged...and they apparently have buying power.
  7. Same with Shania Twain's “Come On Over”. I do love Shania....and I bought that. :lol: But, same as above, she's not better than Springsteen
  8. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album. LOVE Katy! And that album was just nonstop fun songs.
  9. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined. Don't mess with Babs. She's earned her status.
  10. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All"...20 million people. More than any Bob Marley album. You gotta admit, there's likely a larger BRC audience than Marley...but I do love Marley!
  11. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatles. Because they only cover songs.
  12. This guy exists: Yes, and this is the #1 crime against music. Unlike others, I think he sucks. His songs are drivel and his voice is nasaly and annoying.

All of the above are just my opinion....and we all know I'm a musical cretin. :D