Handgun Advice

formerkywrestler

I'm looking to purchase a handgun. The main use would be to go to the range with friends and my Dad. I used to shoot all the time but haven't in quite some time. I'm not that concerned with stopping power, defense, etc. as I don't see myself carrying it. But, I most likely don't want a .22, "just in case". Being that my primary purpose for the gun is to shoot I think ammo price is one of my biggest concerns. Because of this I'm all but decided on a 9mm unless I hear compelling reasons for another caliber. I want something that is safe, easy to take care of, and that shoots well. I also don't want to break the bank, but don't want the cheapest thing I can find either. What are some specific makes and models that might fit my criteria? So far I've been hearing a lot about Ruger, Smith & Wesson, and Glock. Not much on specific models but my friend recently bought a Ruger SR9 that I liked the feel of (haven't had the chance to shoot yet). Finally, what should I look for when trying to find the right gun for me at the store?

Also, would you buy a used gun? Having never purchased a used gun myself I was wondering if this is a good idea. Thanks guys.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also pick up a Springfield XD and hold it in your hand before I made a decision. Very, very nice weapon and reasonably priced.
Absolutley. They are a little higher priced than say a glock but if you don't mind spending the extra cash they are well worth it.

What model Glock do you have? Why the Glock over other manufacturer's?
For me I like the feel of a glock over say a Ruger. Rugers feel big in my hand. Glocks are also very dependable and easy to care for. You can also ususally find really good deals on used glocks. And I wouldn't hesitate to buy used in a gun. Another good option is the S&W Sigmas. Very good gun and probably the best value.

I've heard that too. What features does it have that make a it stand out?
I've always been a Springfield fan. In the not too distant past, you couldn't touch one for under $700. However this model is considerably less and I just like the safety, the feel of the grip, the sight. I just like the gun. I've shot the .40cal version. Very nice. I have a friend who has the 9mm version and he loves it.

I bought the Glock 19gen4. I like it, but I'm not a fan of the safety, or lack thereof, of the glock. Frankly, once the holiday is over, I think I may trade my glock in for the Springfield.

For me I like the feel of a glock over say a Ruger. Rugers feel big in my hand. Glocks are also very dependable and easy to care for. You can also ususally find really good deals on used glocks. And I wouldn't hesitate to buy used in a gun. Another good option is the S&W Sigmas. Very good gun and probably the best value.
Exactly. Same reason I bought the Glock.

I would also pick up a Springfield XD and hold it in your hand before I made a decision. Very, very nice weapon and reasonably priced.

Absolutley. They are a little higher priced than say a glock but if you don't mind spending the extra cash they are well worth it.
Is this the gun you are talking about? If so, I did not realize you could buy a handgun online.

Is this the gun you are talking about? If so, I did not realize you could buy a handgun online.
Yes, that's it. And yes again, you can buy a gun online but has to be sent to a FFL dealer. My favorite site of this ilk is gunbroker.com. I just sold 2 shotguns on there and bought another.

Yes, that's it. And yes again, you can buy a gun online but has to be sent to a FFL dealer. My favorite site of this ilk is gunbroker.com. I just sold 2 shotguns on there and bought another.
What's a FFL dealer? Is this a good route to go for a deal? Will the FFL dealer charge extra?

Thanks, I've been looking at that site and there seems to be a lot there.

What's a FFL dealer? Is this a good route to go for a deal? Will the FFL dealer charge extra?

Thanks, I've been looking at that site and there seems to be a lot there.

Federal Firearms License. I deal with a local outdoor shop here where we live. He doesn't charge me anything, but then again, I have spent thousands upon thousands at his establishment over the years. That site has alot of stuff for sure. The only thing about handguns is that, for me at least, I like to hold them. I'd familiarize yourself with the ones you have in mind, then go shopping online. Good luck, let us know what you decide.

Federal Firearms License. I deal with a local outdoor shop here where we live. He doesn't charge me anything, but then again, I have spent thousands upon thousands at his establishment over the years. That site has alot of stuff for sure. The only thing about handguns is that, for me at least, I like to hold them. I'd familiarize yourself with the ones you have in mind, then go shopping online. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Thanks for all the advice. I live about ten minutes from the Bass Pro so I plan on heading over sometime soon to get a better feel for the guns I like once I've done my research.