Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 35 Boyle County 14

Featured Replies

Does anyone know where we can find a HHS roster?

 

Go to northernkentuckysports.com and click on Highlands.

  • Replies 189
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I asked Hammertime on twitter and he didn't know....can someone explain the origin of the term 'cake eaters' to me? Is it offensive? I've heard it and know nothing of it.

I asked Hammertime on twitter and he didn't know....can someone explain the origin of the term 'cake eaters' to me? Is it offensive? I've heard it and know nothing of it.

 

Not offensive at all. We call ourselves Cake Eaters. Proud Cake Eater here. It stems back to the 30's or maybe 40's . I believe it started with a rival with Newport KY. I think it was use to motivate players from Newport to beat Highlands. It was in the context that Highlands wasn't tough enough and didn't have a hard road to go. I'll check that and get back with ya. Heck, if you think about it, to this day for some weird reason alot of the rest of the state believes that Fort Thomas is just overflowing with money. Hence they are Cake eaters instead of bread. If you have ever visited the facilities you would realize how far from extravigant Highlands is.

A bluebird fan followed me out to the stadium. And he had Cake Eater wrote on the windows of his van..

I asked Hammertime on twitter and he didn't know....can someone explain the origin of the term 'cake eaters' to me? Is it offensive? I've heard it and know nothing of it.

 

Henry expained the creation of the term: the kids in Ft. Thomas were a bunch of wealthy, spoiled and soft kids that could afford to eat cake, while the hard scrapple kids from Newport were eating bread. Newport coach came up with "cake eaters" in a motivational speech to his players: our tough, hard nosed kids were going to go beat those fancy pants, cake eating Highlands players.

 

It used to be used in a derogatory manner towards Highlands. We embraced it and actually use it with pride.

Man, I should have have rang it and took off running...

 

In your younger days I could see you getting away with it, but not today. :lol:

Saw the pics from the game and noticed 6'2 soph #82 Seth Hope playing defense. He could really develop into another Brent Grover type defender.

Saw the pics from the game and noticed 6'2 soph #82 Seth Hope playing defense. He could really develop into another Brent Grover type defender.

 

He looks taller than that to me..

Thanks Henry and LN. I was updating the game on twitter and Hammertime sent me a 'cake eaters rule' tweet but he didn't know where the term came from. Appreciate it.

I am glad that some of these Monday morning quarterbacks I have talked to don't have BGP accounts. I wouldn't be able to defend some of their comments. Wow. Going to be a long week when talking Boyle County football. Amazing how fast some people can jump off of the bandwagon.

Coming in very late but here is my take from watching the game on the sideline.

 

1. The Harris kid for Highlands is going to be a stud at RB. Runs hard and has a nice burst of speed.

 

2. The td drive to end the first half was a thing of beauty and showed just how good the Birds offense can be. Towles was very impressive and the receivers did a great job making plays.

 

3. The entire defense looked good but especially New, McCoy, and the Bruns brothers. Speaking of Bruns, Devon was constantly in the backfield. I heard the Boyle coaches constantly yelling at one another to find someone who could block #42.

 

All in all, a solid showing and I expect another state title for HHS. Very impressive group with great depth.

I'm glad you didn't Admiral. I was to full of food to chase you and left my inhaler at home. :lol:

 

Seriously, would Admiral have been that hard to catch? :walk:

Coming in very late but here is my take from watching the game on the sideline.

 

1. The Harris kid for Highlands is going to be a stud at RB. Runs hard and has a nice burst of speed.

 

2. The td drive to end the first half was a thing of beauty and showed just how good the Birds offense can be. Towles was very impressive and the receivers did a great job making plays.

 

3. The entire defense looked good but especially New, McCoy, and the Bruns brothers. Speaking of Bruns, Devon was constantly in the backfield. I heard the Boyle coaches constantly yelling at one another to find someone who could block #42.

 

All in all, a solid showing and I expect another state title for HHS. Very impressive group with great depth.

 

There aren't many players in Ky that will be able to block Devon one on one so the Boyle coaches shouldn't be too upset they couldn't find anyone that could block him. It will be double team him or run away from him. With his speed, it will be hard to run away from him. Kid is a very, very good high school player. Not real big, but very strong with a lot of quickness and speed.

Henry expained the creation of the term: the kids in Ft. Thomas were a bunch of wealthy, spoiled and soft kids that could afford to eat cake, while the hard scrapple kids from Newport were eating bread. Newport coach came up with "cake eaters" in a motivational speech to his players: our tough, hard nosed kids were going to go beat those fancy pants, cake eating Highlands players.

 

It used to be used in a derogatory manner towards Highlands. We embraced it and actually use it with pride.

 

I'll have to find one of my old yearbooks. There was a story in one of them about how that term actually came about. Had something to do with rationing flour, sugar, etc. during the war and Highlands bringing out a huge cake during a basketball game which upset the other team and a fight developed. Cake thrown everywhere, etc.

I always laugh and say thank you when someone calls me a "cake eater". People think it's an insult but it's one of the greatest things I can think of to be called!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.