Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands 35 Boyle County 14

Featured Replies

Maybe I had heard it incorrectly but was always told the genus of the "Cake Eater" was that at a post season banquet for the old NKAC that we (Highlands) brought some sort of an expensive cake and there was a small ruckus about this so we only allowed it to be served to the Highlands entourage,,,,thus making us Cake Eaters.

  • Replies 189
  • Views 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There aren't many players in Ky that will be able to block Devon one on one so the Boyle coaches shouldn't be too upset they couldn't find anyone that could block him. It will be double team him or run away from him. With his speed, it will be hard to run away from him. Kid is a very, very good high school player. Not real big, but very strong with a lot of quickness and speed.
Overall, I was as impressed with him as anyone wearing blue and white. He caught my eye early and I enjoyed watching him all night.

Where do they line up Bruns on the DL? Nose?

I'll have to find one of my old yearbooks. There was a story in one of them about how that term actually came about. Had something to do with rationing flour, sugar, etc. during the war and Highlands bringing out a huge cake during a basketball game which upset the other team and a fight developed. Cake thrown everywhere, etc.

I always laugh and say thank you when someone calls me a "cake eater". People think it's an insult but it's one of the greatest things I can think of to be called!

 

I've heard various stories of the origin too. Mine and Henry's version comes from someone on Highlands team at the time the Newport coach supposedly came up with the term. Pretty sure it's accurate, but who knows. Things like the origin of "cake eaters" and other items of Highlands lore, tend to get spun various different ways over the years.

  • Author
I'll have to find one of my old yearbooks. There was a story in one of them about how that term actually came about. Had something to do with rationing flour, sugar, etc. during the war and Highlands bringing out a huge cake during a basketball game which upset the other team and a fight developed. Cake thrown everywhere, etc.

I always laugh and say thank you when someone calls me a "cake eater". People think it's an insult but it's one of the greatest things I can think of to be called!

You're right. That actually happened; my parents have told me that story. But I think both explanatins are valid. It's just one of those things that fades with history -- like where the ice cream cone was invented.
There aren't many players in Ky that will be able to block Devon one on one so the Boyle coaches shouldn't be too upset they couldn't find anyone that could block him. It will be double team him or run away from him. With his speed, it will be hard to run away from him. Kid is a very, very good high school player. Not real big, but very strong with a lot of quickness and speed.

 

Truer words may never have been spoken. However fast Devin was last year, when I saw him out of pads this summer I knew opposing offensive lines were in for big trouble. Whatever few lbs had been lingering around the midsection last season are completely gone, and he is quick with a capital Q. How this kid wasn't identified in the local preseason watch-lists is beyond me (not that they mean anything anyway.).

Where do they line up Bruns on the DL? Nose?
That is where he played Friday night. :thumb:
Where do they line up Bruns on the DL? Nose?

 

Majority on the nose, but you'll see him at end also.

Seriously, would Admiral have been that hard to catch? :walk:

 

You would need some heavy duty tackle, that is for sure!

Kind of like catching a shark and then you think, "What do I do with him now?".

Thanks Henry and LN. I was updating the game on twitter and Hammertime sent me a 'cake eaters rule' tweet but he didn't know where the term came from. Appreciate it.

 

Hey don't try to make me look like a Highlands fan. :D I was just giving you a hard time.

Hey don't try to make me look like a Highlands fan. :D I was just giving you a hard time.

 

 

 

:lol::lol::lol:

 

I wasn't trying to, just reliving the conversation for everyone else.:lol::lol:

Seriously, would Admiral have been that hard to catch? :walk:

:lol:

I asked Hammertime on twitter and he didn't know....can someone explain the origin of the term 'cake eaters' to me? Is it offensive? I've heard it and know nothing of it.

 

Its something off the Mighty Ducks

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.