Covington Catholic Wrestling Team???

It is amazing to me that CCH does not have a wrestling team. It would be a good thing for the school and for the kids interested.

Well my understanding was that in the past, there was never a team because of limited space for working out (there only used to be one small weight room shared by all of the athletic programs), and the fact that the gym was the only indoor "facility" that they had available for use by a wrestling team, which meant sharing time with the basketball team and the financially important Cov Cath bingo operations. The Schott athletic building has changed a lot of that.

There was also a bit of rumor when I was still attending Cov Cath that Coach T and Coach Ray didn't want a wrestling team to contend with for facilities and training opportunities. Not sure how true that was, but regardless, sounds like the winds have changed. I agree with you that it would be a good thing for the school.

Well my understanding was that in the past, there was never a team because of limited space for working out (there only used to be one small weight room shared by all of the athletic programs), and the fact that the gym was the only indoor "facility" that they had available for use by a wrestling team, which meant sharing time with the basketball team and the financially important Cov Cath bingo operations. The Schott athletic building has changed a lot of that.

There was also a bit of rumor when I was still attending Cov Cath that Coach T and Coach Ray didn't want a wrestling team to contend with for facilities and training opportunities. Not sure how true that was, but regardless, sounds like the winds have changed. I agree with you that it would be a good thing for the school.

That makes sense. You need the facilities to make it work. It is nice that the kids now may have an opportunity. The more activities and opportunities for the kids, the better.

There are a handful of parents currently working with Principal Rowe and the athletic director to organize a team. At this point, it's not looking like it will happen this year, although they appear to have some level of "wrestling club" organized for incoming students. Hopes are to have a full-fledged team up and running for next year, but I would say that in all likelihood, it appears that Cov Cath will be fielding a team the year after next.

Lex Christian Acadamy looks to be doing the samething, I was even contacted about where they could borrow a mat for this year for a club team.

I'm just glad to hear another program is starting.The more the merrier. Male is starting this year in the Louisville area. Now if we can get any of the Bowling Green area teams- ACS, Franklin-Simpson, Warren Central, Greenwood, Bowling Green and more of the Western Kentucky Schools- Marshall Co, Graves Co, McCracken Co. etc. to start it would be even better

I don't understand why all big schools don't have a wrestling team. GRC should be on that list. Owensboro High school is starting a program this year.

I'm not sure how many of the NKY schools compete with the Ohio schools, or how often it occurs (I'm admittedly kind of ignorant to the whole wrestling scene). I do know up this way there are 13 schools with wrestling teams (Ryle, Dixie Heights, Simon Kenton, Scott, Holmes, Walton Verona, Grant County, Cooper, Newport, Conner, Bishop Brossart, Boone County, and Campbell County), and I know a few of those teams compete fairly well on the statewide level, so I'm sure there's is a fair amount of competition amongst them. Do tournaments often wander outside of the state lines though?
The good schools go outside of state lines all of the time. Ryle is often chastized for wrestling almost solely in Ohio. I'm one who believes you go where the competition is, no matter the state.

And to say they do "fairly well" is an understatement. Since the state tournament went to 32 wrestlers in '02 the NKY region has been the toughest each year.

Per Kentuckywrestling.com's most current preseason rankings, 4 of the top 11 teams are from N. Ky.

1 Larue Co

2 Union Co

3 St. Xavier

4 Trinity (Louisville)

5 Campbell Co

6 Johnson Central

7 Oldham Co

8 Ryle

9 Simon Kenton

10 Whitley Co

11 Walton Verona

Loving the #1. Hoping Coach finally gets his championship! :D

Does wrestling reward team champions? Is it similar to tennis, track, etc. where you individual points add up to a team champion?

Yes. Individual wrestlers receive points not just for their win but how they win. Lesser points are given for a minor decision, more for a major decision (I think its a win by 7 points or more) with the most points for a pin. The team part of team wrestling comes in when a wrestler may have little chance of winning but his objective is to minimize the points scored by his opponent.

Here are how team points are calculated in a dual meet:

Win by Decision - 3 Points

Win by Major Decision (8 or more points) - 4 points

Win by Technical Fall (15 or more points) - 5 points

Win by Fall - 6 points

Win by DQ, Forfeit, Default - 6 points

Tournament scoring is a little more complicated but here is a decent overview.

• 1 month later...
Trivia question: Which team was the first state champ in Kentucky? I believe the year was 1967 or 69.
Possibly Newport Catholic? Brother Joe (who recently just passed away) ran a pretty good program up there for many years.

• 2 weeks later...
That makes sense. You need the facilities to make it work. It is nice that the kids now may have an opportunity. The more activities and opportunities for the kids, the better.

When Campbell Co. was at the building in Alexandria, now the middle school, the team practiced in the concession area in the basement. The wrestlers had to carry the mats across the gym floor, out the doors and down the steps to the concession area. Then reverse the process at the end pf practice. When the current facility, 4 miles south on US 27, was built a multi-purpose room was included, but its primary use is a practice facility for the wrestling team.

Side note: the ceiling is not high enough for basketball.

• 1 month later...

I know Dixie used the healt room for years for practice , bumper to bumper matts. Then they went to the old Caywood gym before finally getting a wrestling room in the new building. Just takes time to get things going. Best of Luck and I would love to see them little blue colonels wrestling.:D