Missouri Law: Teachers Cannot Be "Friends" With Students

Clyde

Clyde, you can dig your heels in as much as you want. FB can be a reasonable method to reach students if used appropriately, bottom line. As a reactionary (and imaginary) administrator, take it away, if you like.

I'll ask my principal (who knows that I use Facebook) why he doesn't make such a rule and get back with you.

Jeezel pete. Of course it can be "reasonable." No one is saying that it cannot. I've NEVER said that. However, everything has a downside (you've yet to admit that) thus my rule.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TB&G, I sense your argument and reactions are based upon you feeling you're being attacked for using FB. That could not be further from the truth. I know you're using it for the right reasons. Take a step back and acknowledge that there are downsides and alternatives. Then tell me why the alternatives fail in your estimation.

Why are you and others failing to see that I've already said multiple times that you can't eliminate ALL types of contact?

I've yet to make any blanket statements about communications yet you and others keep bringing up specifics. There is no easy or popular answer.

You haven't? You said you would ban FB, not allow closed door conversations, not allow emailing on personal computer, and be against texting. I think these are clear blanket statements about communications. That don't leave too many other ways to communicate. Looks like you are saying that teacher/student communications should only occur in public and with witnesses.

You haven't? You said you would ban FB, not allow closed door conversations, not allow emailing on personal computer, and be against texting. I think these are clear blanket statements about communications. That don't leave too many other ways to communicate. Looks like you are saying that teacher/student communications should only occur in public and with witnesses.

Correct. You can't ban ALL communications. Let's be clear: I'm not yet sure on texting (as I said previously).

You say there aren't too many other ways to communicate. Seriously? Email through the school email system (is there a problem with that one?),face-to-face meetings with an open-door as often as possible. What else is there?

I'm curious as to why you and others are generalizing when I've been extremely specific.

What attitude? I'm against FB. That's an attitude? FB makes me a dictator? Broad brush?

"As a staff" has its place. However, any leader that can't make the hard decisions without getting approval is not a leader. Take everything into account and make your own decision. I've asked you 50 times why FB is the only way to communicate and you've yet to answer other than "that's where they are." If I was in a staff meeting and proposed my thought and that was the only response I got I'd have no reason to change my mind.

Take a step back and look at what I've said and tell me what warrants a "dictator" label? So far you've just got FB.

I am talking about your attitude of having a checklist of what you would and would not allow your teachers to do. While there are certain instances where an administrator must make a call, the best school situations occur when teachers (and even students and parents) are stakeholders in the decision making process. This is one of them.

I am talking about your attitude of having a checklist of what you would and would not allow your teachers to do. While there are certain instances where an administrator must make a call, the best school situations occur when teachers (and even students and parents) are stakeholders in the decision making process. This is one of them.

You're obviously closer to this than I.

I find it hard to believe though that students and parents would get a say in whether teachers get to friend students on FB.

Jeezel pete. Of course it can be "reasonable." No one is saying that it cannot. I've NEVER said that. However, everything has a downside (you've yet to admit that) thus my rule.

Of course everything has potential negative consequences, THIS INCLUDED. I haven't denied that. That's why I have been bringing up so many examples of other potential problems that "you" wouldn't ban (or haven't decided on yet). I am of the opinion that a teacher without ill intent (and does not include anything objectionable on their own page) can use Facebook for a great deal of positive gain. If he/she sees something potentially harmful concerning a student, a professional will address the issue with the parents or proper authorities.

You're obviously closer to this than I.

I find it hard to believe though that students and parents would get a say in whether teachers get to friend students on FB.

The student obviously has a say in whether or not he/she friends a teacher on Facebook. A parent that is monitoring their child's internet activity (and I don't know how many parents of high school kids do this) would also have a say.

TB&G, I sense your argument and reactions are based upon you feeling you're being attacked for using FB. That could not be further from the truth. I know you're using it for the right reasons. Take a step back and acknowledge that there are downsides and alternatives. Then tell me why the alternatives fail in your estimation.

Clyde, I had a long talk with my principal today. I told him that I was having a discussion with a friend (we are still friends, right?:cool:) about the new FB law that Missouri enacted. I asked him had he ever considered the issue and why he had not chosen to ban FB interaction. His words, "yes, I've considered it...and I love the interaction." He mentioned exactly what I said about kids already being there. Many stay connected to FB every free minute that they get. Again, I brought up the example of "Mr. Holland's Opus" that I mentioned earlier and he nodded his head. Perhaps it is because he is younger (30) than you (and me) but he understands the value of Facebook to high school students - how it is a part of their culture. He also reminded me of a new law (I think that it went into effect 2 years ago) that electronic messages between student and teacher are not private, meaning that a parent, school adminstrator, etc., can request copies of such without the permission of either party involved. We are not entirely sure if this includes Facebook messages, but I image it could be interpreted to mean that.

My district is going to be putting together a policy on electronic messaging, but my principal says that it will not be a ban of such. BTW, it looks like I might be serving on that committee. :sssh:

Clyde, I had a long talk with my principal today. I told him that I was having a discussion with a friend (we are still friends, right?:cool:) about the new FB law that Missouri enacted. I asked him had he ever considered the issue and why he had not chosen to ban FB interaction. His words, "yes, I've considered it...and I love the interaction." He mentioned exactly what I said about kids already being there. Many stay connected to FB every free minute that they get. Again, I brought up the example of "Mr. Holland's Opus" that I mentioned earlier and he nodded his head. Perhaps it is because he is younger (30) than you (and me) but he understands the value of Facebook to high school students - how it is a part of their culture. He also reminded me of a new law (I think that it went into effect 2 years ago) that electronic messages between student and teacher are not private, meaning that a parent, school adminstrator, etc., can request copies of such without the permission of either party involved. We are not entirely sure if this includes Facebook messages, but I image it could be interpreted to mean that.

My district is going to be putting together a policy on electronic messaging, but my principal says that it will not be a ban of such. BTW, it looks like I might be serving on that committee. :sssh:

I'm glad your administrator realizes that FB is a part of the students lives and that it is a real means of connecting with them. He sounds like he's in touch with the students. Good for him and his teachers/students! I also like that he is having a committee to come up with the electronic messaging policy and not just developing one on his own and making everyone abide by it. We all know, if people are part of the process, they take ownership and buy-in to the final decision more easily. Teaching is a lot like administration and visa versa, if you get the students and/or staff involved, let them brainstorm, buy-into the solution and take ownership of the outcome, it's a win-win for everyone. So much can be accomplished if the administrator and/or teacher engages others and gets them involved. It's that simple.

I'm glad your administrator realizes that FB is a part of the students lives and that it is a real means of connecting with them. He sounds like he's in touch with the students. Good for him and his teachers/students! I also like that he is having a committee to come up with the electronic messaging policy and not just developing one on his own and making everyone abide by it. We all know, if people are part of the process, they take ownership and buy-in to the final decision more easily. Teaching is a lot like administration and visa versa, if you get the students and/or staff involved, let them brainstorm, buy-into the solution and take ownership of the outcome, it's a win-win for everyone. So much can be accomplished if the administrator and/or teacher engages others and gets them involved. It's that simple.

Madman, we need to meet sometime. Our teams play each other in way too many sports for us to not have properly met!

The student obviously has a say in whether or not he/she friends a teacher on Facebook. A parent that is monitoring their child's internet activity (and I don't know how many parents of high school kids do this) would also have a say.

I was referring the policy-making process.

99% of parents of high school kids do not monitor FB. Heck, my son de-friended me (as I probably would have done as well had it been around when I was his age).

Let's answer the most important question first : Yes, we are still friends. We probably don't disagree as much as we think we do.

What would be really cool is if two people who are on opposite sides of the issue could be talking to your principal in a group. Your bias would not allow the full picture to be presented one-on-one as my bias would not either if I had him one-on-one.