Atlanta Braves Interested in Jonny Gomes

I liked the deal at the time because the Braves were in a position to try and win now. Looking back it was a horrible deal but ya win some ya lose some.

C/1B Jarrod Saltalamacchia, SS Elvis Andrus, and three pitchers: Neftali Perez, Matt Harrison, and Beau Jones in the deal for Teixeira.

Ouch...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't a horrible deal ... the Braves had a better shortstop at the time in Escobar and a better catcher in McCann. Harrison is having a good year but he still didn't figure to be a mainstay of the Braves' staff. Feliz is a great arm, sure, but you have to give up something to get something. Is the bullpen a major concern for the Braves right now because Feliz is gone?

The problem with the Teixieira exchange is that Atlanta got nothing of real value for him when they sent him to the Angels.

^ Jones was nothing for me. I didn't mind trading Salty either. Rangers ended up getting the Braves to throw in Harrison at the end of the deal. Those three have really turned into stars.

Which I wouldn't have minded if the Braves would have at least got someone worth something when they traded Tex to the Angels.

Ha. You barely beat me to it about the Angels deal.

It wasn't a horrible deal ... the Braves had a better shortstop at the time in Escobar and a better catcher in McCann. Harrison is having a good year but he still didn't figure to be a mainstay of the Braves' staff. Feliz is a great arm, sure, but you have to give up something to get something. Is the bullpen a major concern for the Braves right now because Feliz is gone?

The problem with the Teixieira exchange is that Atlanta got nothing of real value for him when they sent him to the Angels.

I would love to see Beltran on the Braves, but not sure where he'd play. I'm guessing he'd play either right field or center field, with Heyward filling in the other spot. An outfield of Prado, Beltran, Heyward wouldn't be too bad.

As for Gomes, I'm all for it if it's cheap. He can hit lefties real well.

I would love to see Beltran on the Braves, but not sure where he'd play. I'm guessing he'd play either right field or center field, with Heyward filling in the other spot. An outfield of Prado, Beltran, Heyward wouldn't be too bad.

As for Gomes, I'm all for it if it's cheap. He can hit lefties real well.

They have no intention of trading for Beltran. For starters they probably don't want to trade within their division. See attached.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati_reds/

Not sure where that says that the Braves have no interest in Beltran. I believe Peter Gammons has said that he believes the Braves are interested in Beltran. Not to mention the Mets have been scouting the Braves pitching. Id say there is some interest. Still doesnt mean a deal will get done.

Braves traded Francouer to the Mets. Inner division trading doesn't have stop anyone now. It just comes with a higher price tag.

Most teams are very reluctant to trade within their division. You don't see the Reds, Brewers and Cubs trading with the Cards very often do you?

Most teams are very reluctant to trade within their division. You don't see the Reds, Brewers and Cubs trading with the Cards very often do you?
Still, deals get done. The Cubs got Aramis Ramirez from Pittsburgh and unknowingly agreed to trade Josh Hamilton to the Reds. Milwaukee traded Jim Edmonds to the Reds last year for Chris Dickerson.