2011 9th Region Tournament Predictions

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prediction and what I am hoping for....

CovCath

vs.

St. Henry

Newport Central Catholic

vs.

Conner

Dixie

vs.

Beechwood

Boone County

vs.

Newport

How can you predict this? Isn't this a blind draw basically, with the exception you can't play your own district?

36th District:

HHS: 6-29; one "quality" win (Boone)

Dayton: 6-16; 0 quality wins

Newport: 7-14; 0 quality wins

Bellevue: 11-16; 0 quality wins

Total: 105 games played - one quality win

34th District:

Villa: 2-27; 0 quality wins

Lloyd: 14-14; one quality win (Dixie)

Ludlow: 6-10; 0 quality wins

St. Henry: 8-14; two quality wins (Campbell, CCH)

Total: 87 games played - 3 quality wins

So, yes, allowing these teams to play amongst each other for a spot at regional is tantamount to a "free pass."

I'm not talking about an underdog team that pulls off the big upset to advance. That happens on occasion and when it does, it's great. The teams from these districts aren't "upsetting" anyone. They're simply beating another very weak team and allowed to advance to a tournament of the "best" teams by virtue of their unbalanced district.

The "beat the best" mantra is naive and overly simplistic when it comes to a one-and-out baseball tournament. Baseball, probably moreso than any other sport, can be dominated by a single player (pitcher). There isn't a ton of top quality pitching around these parts, so when a team is afforded the opportunity to save better pitching because they benefit from facing a much weaker opponent in the first round than another teams, it skews the advantages and has a potentially huge affect on later round games.

I said I wasn't going to go down this road. You baited me. :cool:

So I'll end it on this: CCH is best positioned to handle a tough draw if they do not get either Newport or St. Henry by virture of their deep pitching staff.

Where does it say in the rules that the region will feature the 8 best teams? The region is for teams who qualified to get there, just like in all sports. Why complain about it when that is just how it is in sports. Its like that from youth sports, high school, college and pro's. Teams are in divisions or districts in this case, and sometimes districts will be tougher than others, and a team that is a good team sometimes does get a bad break by being in that tough district. This is just not a baseball issue, this is just how it is in sports. The one good thing about it, is those teams stilll have a chance to play theirselves into the region. Its not like well you finished 3rd in your district, you are now done. They still have a chance to earn their spot, so this does not bother me at all, because they still have a chance to get it done. Also it's that way in all sports, so no reason to change things for baseball.

Who have they surprised this year? What would you consider to be their signature win? Who is a tough team that they've stayed close to this season (maybe 5-0 loss to Beechwood?)? What have they done recently that gives you the impression they are "starting to put it all together"?

Where did I say they have surprised someone? I am still looking for where I said that. Also there was that 5-0 game, and also the 10 to 8 loss against Beechwood too. Where Beechwood had to score runs in the end to win. They also have used some new lineups at the end of the year, and if you seen them at the beginning of the year, and how they are now. People would even say they are 10 times better than they were. I got to see their district championship game today against NCC and they were right there with them all game. Were actually winning by one until the fourth, where NCC scored 3 unearned runs. If you talk to NCC I am sure they will tell you the samething how Newport is much improved from earlier when NCC easily won. So that is what I mean by they are starting to put it together. So when I say they could surprise people, it's because people like you make it sound like whoever plays them will have a cakewalk. So that is what I mean by they could surprise some people, because they should be able to keep it close now with anyone. Which if you keep it close, anything can happen at the end. Never said they would definitely win, however it wouldn't be that big of a shock to me if they can pull off a win.

How can you predict this? Isn't this a blind draw basically, with the exception you can't play your own district?

Duh, did you read the thread that coop started "2011 9th Region Tournament Predictions"?

So this is "My prediction" and what "I am hoping for"....

Future coach I know you love your Panthers and I honestly understand your point but how can Ludlow be in the same District as Dixie etc. when Beechwood is closer to them than Ludlow is?

Beechwood indeed should have been placed in the 34th as they are closer to any and all the schools in the 34th than what Ludlow is and isn't that how the KHSAA said they decided how to place teams in Districts by distance?

Where did I say they have surprised someone? I am still looking for where I said that. Also there was that 5-0 game, and also the 10 to 8 loss against Beechwood too. Where Beechwood had to score runs in the end to win. They also have used some new lineups at the end of the year, and if you seen them at the beginning of the year, and how they are now. People would even say they are 10 times better than they were. I got to see their district championship game today against NCC and they were right there with them all game. Were actually winning by one until the fourth, where NCC scored 3 unearned runs. If you talk to NCC I am sure they will tell you the samething how Newport is much improved from earlier when NCC easily won. So that is what I mean by they are starting to put it together. So when I say they could surprise people, it's because people like you make it sound like whoever plays them will have a cakewalk. So that is what I mean by they could surprise some people, because they should be able to keep it close now with anyone. Which if you keep it close, anything can happen at the end. Never said they would definitely win, however it wouldn't be that big of a shock to me if they can pull off a win.

I will go part way with you future coach....

I agree Newport "Could" be a tough game on a given day. They have some very nice players with a lot of ability. The tough thing with them is catching and throwing the baseball at times. It seems to come up at bad times for them. For example, 2 runners on and 2 outs ground ball in the infield to end the inning and it gets booted or thrown away.

This makes it tough on the pitcher and he throws more than needed and the staff is not all that deep. They have a couple very nice pitchers who can't afford to overcome the errors. I do not intend any disrespect. This is how I see it. Most young pitchers can not overcome errors.

I do not recall BW having to score runs late to win. It seems to me they had a lead and Newport may have scored a couple late to close the gap, I could be wrong. The 5-0 game never seemed in question to me. BW had that game in hand I believe. The closest game was the one at CCH. I thought that score was 12-8. The bottom line there was if they take care of the baseball, Newport would have won that game. Myerhoff told Krumps during that game he would not have to fertilize is field because BW had dumped all over it. :lol:

I really do not want to see Newport again. How many times can you beat one team in a season? I don't want to know the answer just in case it is 4. :D

I really do not want to see Newport again. How many times can you beat one team in a season? I don't want to know the answer just in case it is 4. :D

Well then, lucky for you, since there's now no way you could see them in the first round given you are both #2's. :p No, you'll have the good fortune to match up with either Boone, NCC, or Dixie - all far more palatable opponents than Newport. :lol:

Newport is 7-15 without a single quality win (beat Dayton 2x, Villa, HHS, St. H, Bellevue 2x). Guarantee there isn't a single #1 out there hoping to draw Newport or St. Henry over you or Conner . . . .

Well then, lucky for you, since there's now no way you could see them in the first round given you are both #2's. :p No, you'll have the good fortune to match up with either Boone, NCC, or Dixie - all far more palatable opponents than stalwart Newport. :lol:

Guarantee there isn't a single #1 out there hoping to draw Newport or St. Henry over you or Conner . . . .

Still catching up on scores. I see that now. I am sure there are some hoping for better fortunes than BW and Conner in the first round.

The way it seems right now, I will have to go with Cov Cath to win it. If they get the right draw Maile could be saved for the 'ship. I am sure he will throw some before that though.

My prediction and what I am hoping for....

CovCath

vs.

St. Henry

Newport Central Catholic

vs.

Conner

Dixie

vs.

Beechwood

Boone County

vs.

Newport

I believe Boone would like this draw, CCH & NCC in the same bracket with Conner, tough bracket!!!

Laumann is 6-0 with an era of 2.52, Teegarden 4-2 with era of 3.72, Stanley coming off what I heard was a great game against NCC, a 7 inning shutout, and Shwartz has been solid all year. Coach Huff has tough decisions to make depending on draw. Dixie, NCC, and Cov Cath will have tough decisions on when to use Sexton, Cain, and whoever CC thinks their number one is depending on their draw. If they hold them till Wednesday then they won't have for final. Should be interesting.

I thought Teegarden was 5-2, thought he got the win against Henry Clay? Stanley's pitching was great against NCC.