2011 9th Region Tournament Predictions

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is the I always seem to want to not give Beechwood the credit they deserve, but ultimately end up writing how I should not have overlooked them.

Understandable. To be honest, it is pretty remarkable what Meyerhoff does at Beechwood every year. I have heard Ryle has 75 or more kids try out for freshman baseball. Compare that with Beechwood where virtually every guy who tries out makes the team and then gets coached up. Yes, some top players come to Beechwood to play for the program but many top players in Ft. Mitchell go to Cov Cath or other schools so that is pretty much a wash. It is easy to underestimate a small school but Beechwood is not your ordinary small school.

I agree with you that the draw is going to be a huge factor this year with so many evenly matched teams.

There's no question Ryle is one of the best, if notthe best team, in the ninth, but how do you get the supposed best 8 teams to go to the Regional? Do you have any suggestions?

Ryle isn't even the best in the district. Enough said.

When, where and who will be at the draw? I heard the first round of the regional will be played Monday at Freedom, 4 games, true?

The draw is usually on Sunday morning. Yes, there will be four games at the Freedom on Monday, semis on Wednesday night, finals on Friday night.

Monday's pitchers will be able to come back on Friday. Pitching rules are:

If a pitcher pitches 3 to 5 innings in one (1) day - one (1) calendar day of rest beginning with the following day.

If a pitcher pitches in 6 innings - two (2) calendar days of rest beginning with the following day.

If a pitcher pitches in seven (7) or more innings in one day, pitcher shall have three (3) calendar days of rest.

33rd - #1 Boone, #2 Conner

34th - no earthly clue - have they played any games yet?

35th - Beechwood; CCH; (seeds TBD)

36th - NCC; Newport (seeds TBD)

33rd - #1 Boone, #2 Conner

34th - St. Henry, Dixie/Ludlow winner (finals seeds TBD)

35th - CCH, Beechwood (final seeds TBD)

36th - NCC, Newport (final seeds TBD)

To win the region this year you will need 3 things. I would say you need 2 very reliable solid starters, and a "shut the door" reliever. With the tourney being Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 2 good starters good get the job done. Which ever team has these 3 working hard and on the same page together will when the region. Some of the teams that I think have those are these teams:

Boone County Teegarden and Laumann and as a reliever I would say Shwartz

Conner Nelson and Freese and as a reliever I will take Maines

CCH Maile and Shumate and as a reliever, Severson

Beechwood Johnson and Bertke and in the pen will be Brilz

Dixie Heights Sexton and Barnhorst and in relief will be East

NCC Cain and Sullivan and in relief will be Gray.

To win the region this year you will need 3 things. I would say you need 2 very reliable solid starters, and a "shut the door" reliever. With the tourney being Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 2 good starters good get the job done. Which ever team has these 3 working hard and on the same page together will when the region. Some of the teams that I think have those are these teams:

Boone County Teegarden and Laumann and as a reliever I would say Shwartz

Conner Nelson and Freese and as a reliever I will take Maines

CCH Maile and Shumate and as a reliever, Severson

Beechwood Johnson and Bertke and in the pen will be Brilz

Dixie Heights Sexton and Barnhorst and in relief will be East

NCC Cain and Sullivan and in relief will be Gray.

IMO CCH has the most pitching with Boone next. Can CCH's offense score enough?

IMO CCH has the most pitching with Boone next. Can CCH's offense score enough?

CCH may have the most pitching depth, but I don't know that depth will play a huge role with the way the schedule is set up. I'll take BC's and NCC's top 2 starters over anyone else.

What about the Klaas kid from Newport? Could he possibly throw a gem in the first round and knock someone out?

He could, however he is not their #1 pitcher. Newport has a team that can surprise people, because there is talent there. They just haven't been able to put it all together, however lately they are starting to do that.

Classify.

Honestly, I didn't start this thread to criticize in inequality of the districts in the 9th region or debate the merits of class seeding. Allowing one of St. Henry/Ludlow/Lloyd and Dayton/Bellevue/Newort/HHS a free pass to the region is unfortunate and I'll never be convinced otherwise. The ultimate ramifications of this inequality will be seen in regional tournament play when someone is lucky enough to draw one of these teams in the first round. Great topic for another thread IMO. I allowed myself to go down this path in response to the "only the best survive" comment, which is a bit simplistic IMO. I really just wanted to talk about the teams that are in the tournament. Ryle is not one of them, so no need for me to talk about them.

I really like NCC. I also like either of the teams in the 35th (CCH, Beechwood). I think their district championship game will be a war. The truth is the I always seem to want to not give Beechwood the credit they deserve, but ultimately end up writing how I should not have overlooked them. I should just save some of my past posts and re-copy them to save time. Boone is very interesting with Teegarden and Laumann on mound.

The draw will be HUGE.

Allowing teams a free pass into the region? I didn't realize those teams didn't have to play a game to get in the region, wow I just learned something new.

Yes some districts are no doubt tougher than others, however the ultimate goal for teams is to win the region right? So either way they will have to beat tough teams to do that at some point. They have a chance to knock out one of those tough teams earlier who they eventually would have to beat anyways. Then once they get to the region, they may get a chance to play one of the weaker teams as you state. So in the end, it does work itself out, because either way they would eventually have to beat the better teams to win the region. It might just be earlier than later. So I have no problem with how things shake out, however I will agree on that every district should seed though.

I heard Shumate is having arm issues. True or false? I know Severson had some arm issues since he wasn't playing the field. Also, I'd have to say Dixie's #2 is Dematteo. Doesn't he have a 4-0 record?

He indeed does. It will be interesting to see what Coach Maxwell does this coming week.