2011 9th Region Tournament Predictions

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allowing teams a free pass into the region? I didn't realize those teams didn't have to play a game to get in the region, wow I just learned something new.

Yes some districts are no doubt tougher than others, however the ultimate goal for teams is to win the region right? So either way they will have to beat tough teams to do that at some point. They have a chance to knock out one of those tough teams earlier who they eventually would have to beat anyways. Then once they get to the region, they may get a chance to play one of the weaker teams as you state. So in the end, it does work itself out, because either way they would eventually have to beat the better teams to win the region. It might just be earlier than later. So I have no problem with how things shake out, however I will agree on that every district should seed though.

36th District:

HHS: 6-29; one "quality" win (Boone)

Dayton: 6-16; 0 quality wins

Newport: 7-14; 0 quality wins

Bellevue: 11-16; 0 quality wins

Total: 105 games played - one quality win

34th District:

Villa: 2-27; 0 quality wins

Lloyd: 14-14; one quality win (Dixie)

Ludlow: 6-10; 0 quality wins

St. Henry: 8-14; two quality wins (Campbell, CCH)

Total: 87 games played - 3 quality wins

So, yes, allowing these teams to play amongst each other for a spot at regional is tantamount to a "free pass."

I'm not talking about an underdog team that pulls off the big upset to advance. That happens on occasion and when it does, it's great. The teams from these districts aren't "upsetting" anyone. They're simply beating another very weak team and allowed to advance to a tournament of the "best" teams by virtue of their unbalanced district.

The "beat the best" mantra is naive and overly simplistic when it comes to a one-and-out baseball tournament. Baseball, probably moreso than any other sport, can be dominated by a single player (pitcher). There isn't a ton of top quality pitching around these parts, so when a team is afforded the opportunity to save better pitching because they benefit from facing a much weaker opponent in the first round than another teams, it skews the advantages and has a potentially huge affect on later round games.

I said I wasn't going to go down this road. You baited me. :cool:

So I'll end it on this: CCH is best positioned to handle a tough draw if they do not get either Newport or St. Henry by virture of their deep pitching staff.

He could, however he is not their #1 pitcher. Newport has a team that can surprise people, because there is talent there. They just haven't been able to put it all together, however lately they are starting to do that.

Who have they surprised this year? What would you consider to be their signature win? Who is a tough team that they've stayed close to this season (maybe 5-0 loss to Beechwood?)? What have they done recently that gives you the impression they are "starting to put it all together"?

I heard Shumate is having arm issues. True or false? I know Severson had some arm issues since he wasn't playing the field. Also, I'd have to say Dixie's #2 is Dematteo. Doesn't he have a 4-0 record?

Shumate arm was/is as bad as Severson arm was/is?

I most have forgotten but didn't Severson just throw six innings and 102 pitches against HC on Wednesday, to earn the victory and put CovCath into the 9th Region Tournament?

Guess he isn't as bad as some might think, then again I certainly don't know anything about CovCath baseball.

CCH may have the most pitching depth, but I don't know that depth will play a huge role with the way the schedule is set up. I'll take BC's and NCC's top 2 starters over anyone else.

I was limiting depth to 3 pitchers which seems to be the most a team would need.

However, let's say Cain has a tough go in game 1 in the first few innings and they need to go to a reliever? Do they go with their #2 guy or do they save him for the next game?

That's where I think CCH fares well (assuming all 3 arms are healthy).

Shumate arm was/is as bad as Severson arm was/is?

I most have forgotten but didn't Severson just throw six innings and 102 pitches against HC on Wednesday, to earn the victory and put CovCath into the 9th Region Tournament?

Guess he isn't as bad as some might think, then again I certainly don't know anything about CovCath baseball.

You obviously don't know as much as you think! This is info received from CCH players themselves. I'm sorry you weren't privy to this information. I was just wondering if it was a sore arm or worse (with Shumate), something that could potentially be a setback for him on the next level.

Yn. I was just wondering if it was a sore arm or worse (with Shumate), something that could potentially be a setback for him on the next level.

I would hope that IF there is an injury (no clue on my end) then it's short-term and does not have an impact on his ability to pitch at Hanover.

33rd - #1 Boone, #2 Conner

34th - St. Henry, Dixie/Ludlow winner (finals seeds TBD)

35th - CCH, Beechwood (final seeds TBD)

36th - NCC, Newport (final seeds TBD)

Is the draw setup so the #1 and #2 from the same district are in different brackets so they would not play each other till the finals?

I think Boone has as good a pitching staff as any school in the 9th and can hit with any of them on an average game day.

They want to repeat as 9th region champs and I beleve they have a very good chance of doing so.

Is the draw setup so the #1 and #2 from the same district are in different brackets so they would not play each other till the finals?

I think Boone has as good a pitching staff as any school in the 9th and can hit with any of them on an average game day.

They want to repeat as 9th region champs and I beleve they have a very good chance of doing so.

Correct. The #1 cannot play the #2 from their own district.

I'm sure you would know better than I. How deep do you consider Boone's staff to be? What are the names in order beyond Teegarden and Laumann. I know (think) Brodsky is #3, but I'm just not personally overwhelmed with him. Pretty big dropoff from #2, whoever that is (Teegarden or Laumann).

I don't think any team is particularly strong hitting-wise, so I would agree that Boone is as good as anyone on an average day.

Boone will be a tough out. Biggest concern is if they draw the #2 from the 35th. Not that they can't beat them, but it'll be a test.

I was limiting depth to 3 pitchers which seems to be the most a team would need.

However, let's say Cain has a tough go in game 1 in the first few innings and they need to go to a reliever? Do they go with their #2 guy or do they save him for the next game?

That's where I think CCH fares well (assuming all 3 arms are healthy).

Guess that depends on the specifics of the game - inning, score, where at in lineup, etc.... That's always the big question in these games - throw the best you have to ensure you live to play another day or hold someone back to improve your chances in the next game and risk getting knocked out with this pitcher on the pine.

Need to have situations like this so we all have something to debate on BGP . . . . :D

I would say Teegarden, Laumann, Shwartz, then either Brodsky or Stanley who only pitched a couple of times this season, but he just pitched a complete game shutout against NCC last weekend. He pitched one heck of a game. After that performance I think he would be my number 4.

Laumann is 6-0 with an era of 2.52, Teegarden 4-2 with era of 3.72, Stanley coming off what I heard was a great game against NCC, a 7 inning shutout, and Shwartz has been solid all year. Coach Huff has tough decisions to make depending on draw. Dixie, NCC, and Cov Cath will have tough decisions on when to use Sexton, Cain, and whoever CC thinks their number one is depending on their draw. If they hold them till Wednesday then they won't have for final. Should be interesting.