Football High Documentary

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This documentary takes a somewhat in depth look at high school football including college recruiting' date=' concussions, heat stroke, injuries, parents, and programs across the United States. Go to frontline.org for replay times.[/quote']

I watched it lastnight but it seemed like all it talked about was Arkansas highschool football and concussions. I like the name of the one team the Hillbillies that was pretty funny.

I watched it lastnight but it seemed like all it talked about was Arkansas highschool football and concussions. I like the name of the one team the Hillbillies that was pretty funny.

Yes, I thought it wasn't put together well for a typical Frontline piece. It did raise some interesting questions when it comes to programs "raising the bar" so to speak. It can be awful tempting for kids to taste the juice.

Disturbing in a few ways.

The fact that studies are showing that you do not have to have an actual concussion to suffer core memory loss should be a concern to many.

The fact that some states let football coaches decide when it's "too hot" to practice is simply ludicrous.

The marketing video that the player or team did actually gave me a bad feeling in my stomach.

Ever wonder why you don't hear about heat strokes and deaths in South Mississippi and Louisiana? Or why these heat strokes and deaths related to heat don't seem to happen very much to the farm kids that play football? Surely it couldn't be because they have acclimated themselves to the heat, because after all, that would just make too much sense.

Letting football coaches dictate when too hot is actually too hot is about as ludicrous as parents letting little Johnny sit around inside all summer long in the air conditioning doing nothing.

I wonder when they are going to make a documentary about all of the positive outcomes of those who play or have played football that haven't had any serious injury, particular, head injuries? It's like when a plane crashes and unfortunately takes lives with it, you can bet it will be broadcasted all across the country, but lets not r make as much of a big deal about the 99.95% of all flights that end in a success.

Ever wonder why you don't hear about heat strokes and deaths in South Mississippi and Louisiana? Or why these heat strokes and deaths related to heat don't seem to happen very much to the farm kids that play football? Surely it couldn't be because they have acclimated themselves to the heat, because after all, that would just make too much sense.

Letting football coaches dictate when too hot is actually too hot is about as ludicrous as parents letting little Johnny sit around inside all summer long in the air conditioning doing nothing.

The reason that players are susceptible is irrelevant. Air conditioning is not going away.

Coaches are not qualified to make such decisions. The state has to set rules in order to protect the kids.

In saying the above, on the flip side, there are some extremes that are being taken way overboard in high school sports, and it's not just football. I watched the clip of the marketing of players and that's just ridiculous.

I guess what burns me up more than anything, is it was just as hot 10-20+ years ago as it is now, and none of us ever heard of heat strokes or deaths related to them. Why is that? I know why, and I think I also speak for the silent majority that know why. Can coaches get stupid with their approaches? Sure they can, but we all know that kids aren't acclimating themselves to the elements like we all used to once upon a time.

Facebook, playstations, twitter, iphones as a whole, laptops w/ wireless internet, texting, etc. all the while sitting inside in the ice cold air conditioning or go play outside when it's 95 (like we all did)? We all know what most kids are choosing these days, and consequently, we see more heat related injuries/deaths.

The reason that players are susceptible is irrelevant. Air conditioning is not going away.

Coaches are not qualified to make such decisions. The state has to set rules in order to protect the kids.

Is it irrelevant? Really? Why? So, that the parents and players can't place any of the blame on themselves? Maybe we should discontinue the fact that the players and parents aren't making sure they are following through with the proper directions when taking medications that are susceptible to causing dehydration, too? Maybe we should count their diets, along with lack of overall excersise as irrelevant? If a 5'8 extremely overweight young boy/man has a heart attack and it's found out that their cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. was off the charts high, then those reasons are relevant and responsibility/blame is placed on the individual to make changes in their lifestyle(s). However, let that same 5'8 overweight individual with the same health problems have a heat stroke or die on the field, then lets count their reasons as irrelevant and place all of the blame on the coach(es).

No joke air conditioning isn't going away, it was alive and well when I played, but I sure didn't sit around on my tail in it all summer long. 1) I didn't want to and 2) Even if I did, my parents dang sure wouldn't have allowed me too.

Edited by Harry Doyle

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know how many reported heat strokes occured before air conditioning. Of course , I'm sure no one or very few kept track or really cared back then. I guess my point is, were heat strokes and concussions happening 20 years or so ago and no one recognized it or have we become so over protective that our kids will now be playing sports in a padded air conditioned room? This is football and the tuffness of the sport has evolved. Equipment has become better, but unless you cut out the sport altogether, you will not get rid of injuries. All sports have injuries. Some worse than football. You want to talk head injuries, lets talk soccer.

While in basic training (training , being the key word ) ,even the military has guidelines. If the temperature and humidity reach a certain point, then no physical training would happen , just cleaning weapons or classroom training would be done. That was back in the late 70's , has it changed since then , I don't know .

Our prayers go out to the Ft. Thomas family that has lost their son, in the war in Afaganistan , he was a 2008 Highlands grad.

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know how many reported heat strokes occured before air conditioning. Of course , I'm sure no one or very few kept track or really cared back then. I guess my point is, were heat strokes and concussions happening 20 years or so ago and no one recognized it or have we become so over protective that our kids will now be playing sports in a padded air conditioned room? This is football and the tuffness of the sport has evolved. Equipment has become better, but unless you cut out the sport altogether, you will not get rid of injuries. All sports have injuries. Some worse than football. You want to talk head injuries, lets talk soccer.

Great post all around.

As for the bold, I'd have to say in all reality, that it's a little of both, but then again, I think back to stories of my older relatives and how they weren't ever around air conditioning and all was well. As a matter of fact, I know several whom are 50-75 that literally get sick to their stomachs when the air conditioning is too high, kind of funny, yet true.

While in basic training (training , being the key word ) ,even the military has guidelines. If the temperature and humidity reach a certain point, then no physical training would happen , just cleaning weapons or classroom training would be done. That was back in the late 70's , has it changed since then , I don't know .

Our prayers go out to the Ft. Thomas family that has lost their son, in the war in Afaganistan , he was a 2008 Highlands grad.

Great points, especially for the Ft. Thomas family, thoughts and prayers before I lay my head down tonight in central Kentucky.

There should be guidlines, you are exactly right. I guess my whole issue is the blame factor. It sickens me, but that's becoming our society as a whole. We have to have somebody or something to blame, for everything. That's for a whole 'nother time and place, though.

One last note while we are discussing prevention of head and heat related injuries, the group of people whom I never hear brought up in these conversations? Doctors. Any of you been to a school wide physical day lately? Maybe our kids should be more thoroughly checked out instead of these assembly line type physicals, from all aspects of their health and lifestyles before they are turned loose? Height, weight, blood pressure, turn your head and cough; "Ok, you're good!"

Is it me, or have any of you ever heard of heat related illness/death in high school golf? If you think football practice in 100 degree temps is hot, try toting around a 40 lb golf bag on your shoulders for 4 hours and 3-5 miles in length during July and August. Ironically, and it goes back to my whole theory of properly acclimating yourself, these golfers play all summer long. Sometimes they ride in carts, but most of the time they are walking, especially as their season draws near, nonetheless, they spend their summers outside and not indoors.

It's amazing , in the time frame your speaking of , the players didn't get water at practices or the games . There didn't seem to be heat related injuries back then . Now , they get all the water they want , and we have all kinds of heat related injuries, what's up with that ?