What is "need based tuition assistance"?

letabrotherspeak

Many private schools raise money through various functions, be it boosters, alumni and so forth.

They raise money to help raise money for "need based tuition assistance".

What exactly is "need based tuition assistance"? How is that different from a scholarship or partial scholarship?

How does one qualify?

Is it possible that you see a stud 8th grade baseball, basketball, or football player who would be a welcome addition but his family doesnt have much money, so then one can dip into this fund and pay for his tuition?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many private schools raise money through various functions, be it boosters, alumni and so forth.

What exactly is "need based tuition assistance"? How is that different from a scholarship or partial scholarship?

How does one qualify?

Is it possible that you see a stud 8th grade baseball, basketball, or football player who would be a welcome addition but his family doesnt have much money, so then one can dip into this fund and pay for his tuition?

Have we not gone over this issue a million times?

LABS - a kid from my area whose family does quite well got a scholarship to CCH. Many of the schollies are based on ability. Some are based on a combination of ability with a heavy emphasis on need (Williams Scholarship for example).

Need-based has nothing to do with anything other than one's personal finances and ability to pay. The school does not decide how much the 8th grader's family can pay. Some third party does that. Kids then pay what is determined they should be able to pay and do work study for the remaining portion. More and more kids are doing work-study as the cost continues to escalate.

Your 8th grader? He'll get aid if he needs it and IF he applies to the school.

Few years away from the 8th grade...

Who makes up the third party?

Trinity uses the Private School Aid Service, which I believe is based out of Ohio. They have a website that explains how they determine who gets assistance. You can Google them for a closer look.

Need based aid is based upon one's income, in simple terms.

Long before my daughter started attending Assumption, I began working two jobs, because there is no tuition assistance in grade school. In filling out my financial aid form, I reported (as I should), my taxable income from the previous year, which included both jobs. As such, I was not qualified for need based assistance, so I continued working two jobs.

It's really simple and there are no hidden agendas whatsoever.

This is on the St. Xavier of Cincinnati web site.

Note that aid is limited to what is "in the pot" for a given year.

January, 2005

If you wish to apply for financial tuition assistance for the 2005-2006 school year, you need to follow the process and requirements outlined below.

While it is our goal that no student should be prevented from attending St. Xavier High School because of financial need, our funds are not unlimited. For the 2004-2005 school year approximately $1.4 million in tuition assistance was awarded to 361 students. Approximately 75 other requests did not qualify and were denied. So we follow an application and review process that is intended to be as fair and effective as possible. All of our tuition assistance grants are based on family need. Also, each year stands on its own so any aid awarded this year is for the 2005-2006 school year only.

You may find the following information helpful in preparing your application.

1. The Student Aid Form is a confidential document. Please fill out the form completely. Private School Aid Service will return it to you if it appears to contain errors. Undue delays in processing the statement may mean that your request is not received in time to be considered.

2. Families requesting aid for more than one son at St. Xavier High School need only file one form.

3. Before April 22, 2005, complete the application form, enclose the $19 fee specified in the instructions of the Student Aid Form (NOT CASH, but check or money order made payable to Private School Aid Service) and mail the document to: PRIVATE SCHOOL AID SERVICE, P.O. BOX 770728, Lakewood, Ohio 44107-0034.

4. Be sure to enclose a copy of your 2004 Federal Income Tax return and supporting W-2s or 1099s. If your income is from a business you own, enclose a copy of the business tax return as well.

5. If you have not completed your 2004 Federal Income Tax return in time to send it in to Private School Aid Service with the Student Aid Form by April 22, 2005, make your best estimate of the amounts to be submitted. We will review this estimated information, but we will not make any grants of financial aid until we have received and reviewed your 2004 Federal Income Tax return. When your 2004 Federal Income Tax return is completed, send a copy to Mr. Robert E. Stautberg – Financial Aid Committee, St. Xavier High School, 600 W. North Bend Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45224-1499 as well as to PSAS. Your 2004 return must be received by May 13, 2005 at the latest.

6. Grant determination cannot be made unless every question on the Student Aid Form is answered. (Note: In Section E – DEPENDENTS – the question “Amount I/we feel we can pay next year toward tuition” must be completed.)

7. St. Xavier High School will notify you regarding the awarding of grants by May 27, 2005.

Should you need another copy, you can contact the Business Office or a blank Student Aid application form can be found on the School’s website at stxavier.org. Under About Us; click on Admissions; then Financial Aid Application. You can then print a blank application which can be completed and sent to PSAS

Need based aid is based upon one's income, in simple terms.

Long before my daughter started attending Assumption, I began working two jobs, because there is no tuition assistance in grade school. In filling out my financial aid form, I reported (as I should), my taxable income from the previous year, which included both jobs. As such, I was not qualified for need based assistance, so I continued working two jobs.

It's really simple and there are no hidden agendas whatsoever.

My ears perked at this information. Why is no tuition provided in grade school? It seems if there is a need for it at the HS level, there is a need at all of the other levels. Why the difference?

The cynic would say that is when athletics would come into play.

My ears perked at this information. Why is no tuition provided in grade school? It seems if there is a need for it at the HS level, there is a need at all of the other levels. Why the difference?

The tuition for the grade school level is far less than for High School, and the parish helps support it's school.

Because grade schools are supported to varying degrees by their Parish.

A couple of grade schools in NKY are "tithing" parishes whereby basically no tuition is charged and all members of the parish finance the school.

Other grade schools are supplemented by the parish as a whole and can charge a reduced rate of tuition.

So generally the amount of tuition is less at a grade school than a high school. Now there are exceptions where a grade school tuition can be quite expensive.

How does one qualify?

If you have had any experience applying for college financial aid, you should understand how this works, and how your personal finances are scrutinized to make a judgement on how much tuition your family can afford to pay, and how much tuition assistance is needed. This is not rocket science. :cool: