Dixie 63 Beechwood 52

theguru

Dixie beat Beechwood last night at Beechwood by 11 but this game leaves me with several questions:

1. Beechwood has not won a game yet this year but they played Dixie much closer than some lesser quality teams, why?

2. Will Beechwood be much better as the football players get into the flow of the basketball season and was last nights game a sign of things to come for the Tigers?

3. On the Dixie side, what is going on? On paper Dixie should have beat Beechwood by 25. Is Dixie the most overrated team in the 9th region or is something else at work with the Colonels?

4. Is the real answer Beechwood was pumped up for this one and Dixie was not ready to play?

Does anyone care to take a shot at any or all of these questions?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a stab.

1. I'd say it was a combination of several things, some that you mention below. Beechwood was no doubt fired up, having not won a game, playing a big district game after already dropping their first one to Lloyd last week. I'm sure Dixie was well aware of Beechwood's record and probably didn't think it would take much of a game to win, not to mention they haven't been clicking most of the season and were just coming off a double digit loss to Winton Woods.

2. I have a hard time seeing this Beechwood team rising too far above where they are now for a couple reasons. They do have some solid players, but no depth, and no size to speak of at all. Many teams will be able to dominate the boards and keep the focus outside where they can shut down the guard play that is really Beechwood's only strength. Getting the football players back may help some, but there are still issues with size and depth, as only about five football players figure to contribute to the varsity- two that didn't even play basketball last year. Beechwood will be fine once they get into the NKAC division III schedule, and no doubt will pick up a decent number of wins playing Villa, Calvary and Heritage twice each, but it just puts a false coating on the season.

3. Dixie has a lot of issues but I still see this team coming together and at least being a consistent ball club- definitely having a chance to be right there in the end. Right now I'd say Dixie is overrated, maybe not the most overrated, but certainly higher than they should be just based on scores. No one else has really impressed either though so it's hard to say. There's just too much talent to not believe that this team won't at least put it together at some point during the season. They're good enough to beat the majority of the ninth on talent alone.

4. I can't argue that. I'd say a secondary reason would be the lack of Dixie's coherence thus far and maybe that Beechwood has the potential to put together some competitive games when there's emotion involved, because they do have several solid players.

What are you guys saying? Yes, Dixie did play a lousy game, but it was their 3rd game in 4 days. They were worn out. I would not have been surprised if the Tigers would've knocked them off because of the games that they have played in the last 4 days. I am not making any excuses here, but you have got to look at that and just think what that must do to them, they were worn out.

Doesn't matter, Dixie is supposed to be a much better team, more depth and more everything. BTW, they should have thought of those 3 games in 4 days when they scheduled it, So I take it your not seeing Dixie doing well in the districts or win the regional then either? Multiple games in a 4 day period, against much stronger teams in the regionals. Just a thought..... You have to be ready to play ever game :)

I understand that, but the football players are just getting into shape. That had to be hard on them. They will win the districts, thgey have no one in the district that wil stop them. Our biggest competition will probably be Lloyd, and that won't be a problem. Regionals will be a different story, this is probably the toughest region to win outside of Louisville. The teams up here are just too good. I expect them to give a good showing at regionals, and we'll see come March just how good they do.

Answer 1 – I’ll Have to meet you in the middle on this, Dixie is not as good as last two years, they turn the ball over too much and outside of Bramlage and Matt O’Toole there slow. Beechwood is better then the past two years, by simply improving their defense, their not allowing dribble penetration.

Answer 2 – Yes, This team is athletic. When they learn to execute offensively and defensively and get the ball to Jake Glueck (the best shooting guard in the region). They have the potential to upset somebody. The big question with Beechwood is if they will play hard against ALL Div. III teams, and can they get respect with in the school and community. The schools Villa Madonna, Calvary Christian, Heritage Academy and Silver Grove, don’t get the respect within the school and community as a Lloyd, Holmes, Highlands and Simon Kenton (Football non-district games). So beat those Div. III schools by 20 no big deal, if you beat them by 10 of lose, you get laughed at and you’re no good.

Answer 3 – Turnovers and there slow. They will be O.K. in March.

Answer 4 – Beechwood intensity level was higher this game then most, and Dixie probably didn’t play with a level of intensity they have in the past games. The telling factor in this game was lack of concentration good teams mentally prepares and concentrates every game and practice.

I’ll also reply to tigerswin answer 2,

Solid players they do have. Depth will come along, but how much depth do you need, Glueck will play 30 min. a game, all others Var. players will average 25-28 min. per game. Athletes and be conditions to do what ever they want. Basketball is a marathon not a sprint. If teams are to dominate the boards it’s because there not blocking out, not because there short. Quick feet and quick vertical hoops will overcome height advantages. Can teams go out on the perimeter and guard beechwood at all five spots. Football players will come around the first of the year conditioning wise. Mentally it will take them till the end of January. And for the two that didn’t play last year or the year before, very athletic with heart, and desire to compete and win. They will be the difference in March. I heard on of them say “I forgot how tough basketball is” what do you think he means?

As for the Tigers this season. 16 or less wins a good guess, 17 wins a possibility, 20 wins means a region birth. But what does it matter because basketball is classified and football not, were stuck in Div. III and everybody knows it *****. But the athletes in the school are as good as any other school, but don’t have the guts because it’s too tough. So why can’t the school and community have the heart to support these tiger’s as they work as hard or harder then others. The only false coating at Beechwood is the fact that football is classified and basketball is not.

:thumb:

Originally posted by SHS3PtShooter15

That's an excellent point you make there...afterall, playing football doesn't require one to be in shape.

I hate to tell you this but yes football does require one to be in shape, just you cannot compare the two sports, too many different things involved. As one put it in this thread basketball is a marathon not a sprint, two separate sports...

Also, I guess some people do not realize Beechwood has a football team just like Dixie, and actually made it futher into the playoffs, with more players going both ways, so the thing about the dixie football/basketball players were not ready yet shouldn't really be an issue. Ok, maybe Dixie's football/basketball players contribute more to the basketball team than the Beechwood football/basketball players.

I agree that Dixie is not as good as in the past few years, and I think Beechwood isnt as good as they were the past few years either, although I did pick them to make a run for the D-III title..:)

I think the loss of Kory Lonergan is the biggest lost.

Dixie is not a slow team (they just play slow) that is Draud style, not sure it fits this Dixie team.

After watching the Beechwood game I can see teams playing Dixie in a zone too. Making Dixie beat them on outside shoots.

Originally posted by PurpleFuzzz

Solid players they do have. Depth will come along, but how much depth do you need, Glueck will play 30 min. a game, all others Var. players will average 25-28 min. per game. Athletes and be conditions to do what ever they want. Basketball is a marathon not a sprint. If teams are to dominate the boards it’s because there not blocking out, not because there short. Quick feet and quick vertical hoops will overcome height advantages.

Height is only one part of size. Yes, they're short, but you can get away with that if you have strength- outside of one guy this team does not. Even if they find a way to even up the rebounding battle against a good team, how hard will it be for a team with a good inside game to pound the ball in there and score at will? Just something to think about. I think Beechwood can succeed by pushing the ball and keeping the tempo up, but this is where their depth might hurt them. Not many players can keep up a frenetic pace at a quality level for an entire game.

Originally posted by PurpleFuzzz

But what does it matter because basketball is classified and football not, were stuck in Div. III and everybody knows it *****. But the athletes in the school are as good as any other school, but don’t have the guts because it’s too tough. So why can’t the school and community have the heart to support these tiger’s as they work as hard or harder then others. The only false coating at Beechwood is the fact that football is classified and basketball is not.

I hope this is not something that's used as an excuse. Basketball is unclassified for everyone, not just Beechwood. There are plenty of Class A-AA teams across the state that reign powerfully over their larger counterparts. No matter how many kids in the school, only five are on the floor. This is not to say that size doesn't matter, but it's certainly not insurmountable. I infer from your post that you're somehow affiliated with the program; as I said, I truly hope that the non-classification is not an excuse used around the program.

As for Div. III, this is a significant handicap, and I know that recently there's been some effort to get out of either Division III entirely or some of the mandated games. I think this would be a step in the right direction, but there are other issues at work here, namely getting the all the athletes out for basketball. To build a successful program it's going to take someone that the kids want to play for, or else a program that the kids want to be a part of. For those that do play I have nothing but the utmost respect. They work as hard as anyone else.

[/b]

Originally posted by Ump 47

I think the loss of Kory Lonergan is the biggest lost.

I think that's what's hurting Dixie the most right now. Someone mentioned in another post that their guards are killing them with turnovers etc. and Lonergan being gone is probably the source of most of this. The loss of Joe Bramlage sure doesn't help either.

They may need someone to step up as a leader on the court and off. Lonergan seemed to take control on the court and I'm not sure that they have anyone doing that consistently now. We'll see though, they do have some guns left.

Tigerswin,

Name 1 team in class A who "reigns powerfully over their region." Have you been to the Sweet 16 lately? This is absolutely a 100% inaccurate statement!

Depth-very few coaches play more than 7-8 players- so depth is overrated-unless you are talking only 5 players.

Classification- How would Beechwood have done in an unclassified district with Lloyd, Dixie, and Scott in football? They would not have come out- but for arguments sake say they came out of the district as a runner up as it happens in basketball & baseball- they would have had to play Highlands, Boone Co, or CovCath in the Region assuming Districts are as they are in basketball & baseball. Beechwood would not have had a chance in the region and realistically would not have come out of the district-they got handled by Lloyd, no chance against Dixie, and would have probably struggled with Scott- just like they struggled with Simon Kenton.

False Coating to a season- Granted Villa, Heritage, and Calvary are not good teams, although Calvary has had some good teams a couple years back. But how about Beechwood football supposedly improving against the likes of Ludlow, Dayton, Bellevue, Holy Cross, and a very average NCC team who got crushed by CovCath 38-0. After their losses to Lloyd and Highlands, Beechwood did not play a really good team until Mayfield. Middlesboro was average as well- they lost by huge numbers to Boyd Co & Bell Co who could not get by Rockastle Co who got handled by Boyle Co. Beechwood probably did improve but how would you know?--The bottom line in football is you may play one really good team and that may not happen until the finals- in basketball you have to beat a good team just to get out of the district. I can tell you right now that Beechwood football will be in the regional final every year until I die- because they do not have to beat real good teams to get there-Beechwood may indeed be very good and have been very good in years past, but they do not have to beat very many good teams to win the State-unlike basketball.

You say Beechwood's kids need someone they want to play for and a program to want to be a part of.- From the little I have seen, the program is getting better. It does take time and talent to be successful- Ryle took a while to get where they are, CovCath has only 1 regional title in 30 years, Holy Cross was down for a little while and seem to be getting better, Conner is up and down, Boone has struggled but is getting better- I could go on and on about every school in the region. There is a lot more competition in basketball to get past just to win a district and region title.

Why would they not want to play for the coach? The program seems to be much better than they were 3 years ago. Maybe PurpleFuzz was right in his assessment of kids not playing. You have some special athletes around the state playing football, basketball and some playing baseball too. Brohm from Trinity is a 3 sporter, Bush from Male is going to play baseball and be a 3 sporter, O' Tooles from Dixie play football and basketball, Gerbuses play 3 sports, Lofton from Mason Co. plays football and basketball and many others as well. What are you trying to say by that comment?

You've said a lot but I think you need to reassess. From your name, you are a Beechwood supporter-unless it refers to basketball-sounds like what PurpleFuzz was talking about again?