Volleyball Classes

MNCM

The St. Henry VB coach was quoted as wanting the KHSAA to have a small schools and a large schools divisions in VB but the St. Henry Girls Soccer Coach seems to be happy with how it is being done, as they are in the finals with another small school soccer team LCA!

I would love to see Volleyball divided into classes. KHSAA, why are there no consistent rules for sports? Some sports are classified according to size, some are not, some seed, some draw....etc. I personally think all sports should be classified according to size, but no matter what the playing field is, it should be equal for all sports.

I disagree that they should be grouped private vs public.

I agree also - keep it all open. (Although - I can see the attraction to split into Public/Private to give smaller or less established public schools more chances to win championships).

Even if it were split into 3 or 4 classes (across all sports), I think they should keep the everyone plays district/regional/state tournament format. Put them all in and let them battle it out.

Why do you think the private schools do so much better than the public schools in volleyball? I know that many of the public school girls play club, so that can't be the only reason. Any ideas?
Well I know that here in Northern Kentucky the Catholic schools start volleyball in the 4th grade with leagues and some schools start earlier with instructional VB . So the basics are there at a very early age .

Well I know that here in Northern Kentucky the Catholic schools start volleyball in the 4th grade with leagues and some schools start earlier with instructional VB . So the basics are there at a very early age .

I think this hits the nail on the head.

Beechwood started volleyball in the elementary schools two years ago. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years.

I think that the early instruction is the key with the Private schools. I think that it is also an advantage that the parochial schools usually have more than one or two parochial grade schools feeding their program. The public schools typically have only one or two middle school teams meaning that they have already pared down their incoming class to fewer players than the parochials have coming in.

For example, Ryle will typically have only the freshman players coming in from Gray Middle School (maybe 8-10 players) while Notre Dame and St. Henry will have players that come from St. Agnes, Blessed Sacrament, St. Joe Crescent Springs, Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mary Queen of Heaven, St. Henry, St. Paul and a few other smaller schools. Although the number of students may be greater at the larger public schools, they have already cut down their talent pool at the middle school level while the parochials have more students continuing to play through the eighth grade.

I think that the early instruction is the key with the Private schools. I think that it is also an advantage that the parochial schools usually have more than one or two parochial grade schools feeding their program. The public schools typically have only one or two middle school teams meaning that they have already pared down their incoming class to fewer players than the parochials have coming in.

For example, Ryle will typically have only the freshman players coming in from Gray Middle School (maybe 8-10 players) while Notre Dame and St. Henry will have players that come from St. Agnes, Blessed Sacrament, St. Joe Crescent Springs, Immaculate Heart of Mary, Mary Queen of Heaven, St. Henry, St. Paul and a few other smaller schools. Although the number of students may be greater at the larger public schools, they have already cut down their talent pool at the middle school level while the parochials have more students continuing to play through the eighth grade.

Simple then the public schools should sponser more teams at the middle school level .

Why do you think the private schools do so much better than the public schools in volleyball? I know that many of the public school girls play club, so that can't be the only reason. Any ideas?
Also in most parts of the State Basketball is Queen and attracts more students .

As with most sports - Middle school and lower level development is the key. Most of the school in the Clark Co area only have the one HS program (The exception being Lexington where Volleyball specific leagues exsist, and Club ball is becoming increasingly more poplular).

With the popularity of Volleyball increasing, I can see where the less established programs can stand up developmental programs. Plus several of the B-ball players have been using volleyball to stay in shape before the beginning of the season.