Lexington Catholic

Rocks8010

I think a very pertinent question to ask here would be "How big is the Catholic demographic in Lexington?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only 4 Catholic grade schools in Lexington proper. Louisville has something like 22 or 23 Catholic grade schools. There aren't as many Catholic students to attend Lex Cath as there are in the Louisville schools.

Did a little research. There are 26 Catholic grade schools within Louisville city limits. Total enrollment between the 26 schools is 11,282 students, which averages to 434 students per school. There are 4 Catholic grade schools within Lexington city limits. I couldn't find any data on school enrollments, but if you use the average from Louisville, it figures to a total enrollment of 1,736 grade school students. By those figures, Louisville has 6 1/2 Catholic grade school students for every 1 in Lexington to matriculate through their high schools.

So 14-13 is not competing?

I will have to admit 56-7 is not - this year.

PP92 hits on the head.

For some reason, in the last 6 years the good years are Odd and not so good Even. "Odd or Even" was even the theme of last years media guide since the State Championship years were '05, '07 and the hope was there for '09. With almost 30 seniors, most of whom where together since 7th grade it was a good year - that included a 14-13 loss to the big Rocks. Unfortunately some Rebels to the south also had a good year the season ended losing to the future State Champion who are also district rivals. '10 team has 8 seniors and about 1/3 sophomores starting. In 2005 LC lost to St. X 37-34, but beat St. X 19-14 in 2003. The even years were blow outs.

Now it may be news, but the per capita of Catholics in central Kentucky is lot less than Louisville or Northern Kentucky. So the population of Catholics in 'Kentucky's 2nd largest city' is a lot less than Louisville and probably a lot less then North Kentucky, where there multiple Catholic HSs. So the school population has remained a little over 800. So the boy population is around 400 - not 1,400 like the big guys. But the team still dresses around 90 players a year - getting around 1/4 participation. But that is everyone - seniors to freshmen. They all dress for varsity games. It may look like X or T on the sidelines but 20-30 of those are usually freshmen.

Edited by Bluegrasscard
minor grammer

All good points. My son was part of what most considered a down Trinity team last year and I have a nephew on this years X team and they are considered down for their expectations so it does happen for these programs as well.

With the restructuring of the districts for the 2011 season, the public schools are not going to play Trinity or X for the forseable future. It would be nice to have the other Power House Catholic Schools in the state and possibly Highlands continue to schedule both of them.

All good points. My son was part of what most considered a down Trinity team last year and I have a nephew on this years X team and they are considered down for their expectations so it does happen for these programs as well.

With the restructuring of the districts for the 2011 season, the public schools are not going to play Trinity or X for the forseable future. It would be nice to have the other Power House Catholic Schools in the state and possibly Highlands continue to schedule both of them.

So are you saying that the Jefferson County gerrymandering is costing you games and creating slots in your schedule? Since now the X-T game is a district game vs. none district game and allowing another public to avoid you on the schedule?

I think Catholic is a little down because of the economy which takes away kids. Plus, in my opinion being put in a district with Boyle has hurt them because they are getting beat by them. So, if I were a parent I would probably not put my kids in Catholic because they aren't guaranteed even a district championship anymore.

I think Catholic is a little down because of the economy which takes away kids. Plus, in my opinion being put in a district with Boyle has hurt them because they are getting beat by them. So, if I were a parent I would probably not put my kids in Catholic because they aren't guaranteed even a district championship anymore.

Point 1 - numbers of overall student population were down this year. No specific impact of football in terms of impact players. But a poor economy is a concern. But point 2 is off, being in the district with Boyle County has nothing to do with program. Player, coaches and parents do not care about district titles since they are meaningless now. Noone talks about or cares about winning the district except for the home field advantage at the rematch. We respect to other districts, it is just how it has been since going to 6 classes.

I think that anyone who wants to go to Lexington Catholic should have the right to go there, with that said, my guess is that the success that Lexington Catholic experienced in the 1990's and 2000's in all sports was fueled by more than just the Catholic poplulation of Lexington.

And I think you are all jumping the gun. Yes, Boyle's success has overshadowed Catholic's success but by no means are they struggling for talent or numbers. They are really young and despite this year the Boyle/Catholic game can always go either way. There is no doubt in my mind that LexCath will be one of the top 5 teams in the new 4A next year. It's not so much that Bob Sphire left(he only won 1 title, right) it's that Boyle County beat them so it appears they were down when truth be told had they beaten Boyle County they may have won state themselves. They haven't been that bad at all after Sphire and next year they will be much improved. You'll see.

It's not so much that Bob Sphire left(he only won 1 title, right)
Yes, and one the year after he left, a team which he obviously had a hand in building.

Of course, Sphire coached in the old four-class system, when the competition was tougher and championships harder to come by.

Yes, and one the year after he left, a team which he obviously had a hand in building.

Of course, Sphire coached in the old four-class system, when the competition was tougher and championships harder to come by.

The team that won after Sphire left was loaded for sure. Need to get a better recruiting coordinator. Just joking. Catholic will be better in the future. The QB is for real and the RB's are good too. But I will stand by my comment that it hurt's LC to play in a district with Boyle Co.