9th Region Greatest of all time?

Dick played at LSU from '62 - '65:

Maile was a Look Magazine All-American selection in 1965. He was also a two-time first team All-Southeastern Conference selection and a third team NABC All-District selection in 1965. He finished his career as the third leading scorer and rebounder in LSU history, with 1,284 points for a 17.4 average and 722 rebounds for a 10.4 average. He led LSU in scoring and rebounding for three consecutive years, averaging 17.2 points and 9.8 rebounds in 1965, 20.7 points and 10.5 rebounds in 1964, and 14.0 points and 11.0 rebounds in 1963.

http://members.cox.net/tigerdsl/labc/hoffmembers_dickmaile.htm

Great guy who loves the game of basketball.

That's a pretty accomplished college player. The leading scorer was Pistol Pete correct? Pretty good company.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand why some of you mention Neltner and Doellman but not Brock?

Brock was the best of the bunch that year, IMO, but because he didn't campaign he didn't win Mr. Basketball. (Ask Mike and he'll be the first to tell you that he didn't campaign for Mr. Basketball and that's why he didn't win it)

Check out the numbers head to head between the 3 and you'll see that Brock was the best big man not only in nky, but also the state that year.

For me personally it's because one went down state and one was Mr. Basketball. I didn't see every individual battle they had, so I can only go on what I can go on. Also XU and LSU are better basketball schools than EKU.

Agree with you Clyde. If my memory serves me correctly, I remember a Holmes/Holy Cross game where Dicky brought back a Holmes team from a 14 point hole almost single handily to win that game in the last quarter. How off is my memory?

I also remember Dicky outjumping Melvin Turpin on a jump ball when #1 ranked Henry Clay (I think that's the HS Melvin attended) was defeated at Evans Fieldhouse. Heck of a game.

Your memory is pretty good but Melvin Turpin played for Bryan Station not Henry Clay.

Dicky was a Soph in 78 when he came into the game and brought Holmes back in the district semi's against Holy Cross. If Holmes doesn't come back in that game then they never make it to the regional tourny and make it to the state championship game only to get railroaded by incompetent refs.

I really don't understand why some of you mention Neltner and Doellman but not Brock?

Brock was the best of the bunch that year, IMO, but because he didn't campaign he didn't win Mr. Basketball. (Ask Mike and he'll be the first to tell you that he didn't campaign for Mr. Basketball and that's why he didn't win it)

Check out the numbers head to head between the 3 and you'll see that Brock was the best big man not only in nky, but also the state that year.

Justin Doellman was the best all around player in the region their senior year ('03). Brock was more athletic than Neltner, and an argument could be made that Brock was actually the better HS player than Neltner. I'll take Doellman over both of them.

Cowens was voted 1 of the best 50 players of the 20th century and is a member of the basketball hall of fame. I would say Cowens is the best that NKY ever produced. Next Crigler and Thacker both won NCAA titles with UK and UC. I was too young to see any of the 3 play in High School, but their post high school careers were pretty good. In high school Beal was a game changer, Draud could and would shoot from anywhere. Jennings was a beast. Schloemer was a great high school player. There has been a lot of talented players come from the NKY area, it is really hard to pick a top ten without leaving someone out. Here is mine in no particular order.

1. Cowens -NCC

2. Beal -Holmes

3. Crigler -Boone

4. Thacker -Cov Grant

5. Schloemer -Holmes

6. Jennings -Holmes

7. Vories -Newport

8. Parton -Conner

9. Doelman-Ryle

10. McKinley -Simon

Edited by Time and Score
spelling

Just for the record, the thread asked for best players from the 9th REGION NOT NKY.

Contrary to the way most think in here, the 9th region is NOT all of NKY. There are other schools that would be NKY but NOT in the 9th Region.

Many on here are saying best players from NKY. Their lists would be wrong as many NKY players who are not 9th region would have been left out.

Just for the record, the thread asked for best players from the 9th REGION NOT NKY.

Contrary to the way most think in here, the 9th region is NOT all of NKY. There are other schools that would be NKY but NOT in the 9th Region.

Many on here are saying best players from NKY. Their lists would be wrong as many NKY players who are not 9th region would have been left out.

Which player mentioned wasn't in the 9th region when he played?

Which player mentioned wasn't in the 9th region when he played?

Grant County, Pendleton County, Walton-Verona, Campbell County, Brossart, Calvary Christian, Scott, Silver Grove all can have claims on being in NKY but not the 9th region.

Thread called for greatest players of all time in the 9th region.

Another thread can call for the greatest players of all time in NKY.

Two different subjects even though admittingly some of the names will be the same.

Grant County, Pendleton County, Walton-Verona, Campbell County, Brossart, Calvary Christian, Scott, Silver Grove all can have claims on being in NKY but not the 9th region.

Two different subjects even though admittingly some of the names will be the same.

Which players from NKY but not in the 9th region would you add to the discussion?

Scott's Jesse Jett was mentioned, as well as SK's McKinley. Although neither school is currently in the 9th, both of those players were 9th region players.

Which players from NKY but not in the 9th region would you add to the discussion?

Scott's Jesse Jett was mentioned, as well as SK's McKinley. Although neither school is currently in the 9th, both of those players were 9th region players.

Talbert Turner, 14th in the state in scoring for a career with 3,183 points and Bobby Wyatt from Pendleton County. Also, Rick Elrod from Pendleton County was drafted by the Phoenix Suns after playing at Georgetown College.

Wasn't there a real good player from Grant County back in the late 70's and 80's.

Admittingly, I don't know the boys side names as much as I would know the girls' side.

Cowens was voted 1 of the best 50 players of the 20th century and is a member of the basketball hall of fame. I would say Cowens is the best that NKY ever produced. Next Crigler and Thacker both won NCAA titles with UK and UC. I was too young to see any of the 3 play in High School, but their post high school careers were pretty good. In high school Beal was a game changer, Draud could and would shoot from anywhere. Jennings was a beast. Schloemer was a great high school player. There has been a lot of talented players come from the NKY area, it is really hard to pick a top ten without leaving someone out. Here is mine in no particular order.

1. Cowens -NCC

2. Beal -Holmes

3. Crigler -Boone

4. Thacker -Cov Grant

5. Schloemer -Holmes

6. Jennings -Holmes

7. Vories -Newport

8. Parton -Conner

9. Doelman-Ryle

10. McKinley -Simon

Quite true about some of your players Pro and College careers and quite true about their ability in the College and Pros game but we are talking about their "HS Ninth Region game" and not what they turned out to be in the College and or the Pro game!

I have yet to see any player mentioned that played on a team that wasn't in the 9th region. So why did you post the obvious?

Talbert Turner, 14th in the state in scoring for a career with 3,183 points and Bobby Wyatt from Pendleton County. Also, Rick Elrod from Pendleton County was drafted by the Phoenix Suns after playing at Georgetown College.

Wasn't there a real good player from Grant County back in the late 70's and 80's.

Admittingly, I don't know the boys side names as much as I would know the girls' side.

I'm not sure exactly where Pendleton County fits in when people start assigning geography but no one in NKY considers them NKY.

Same with Grant County (you may have been thinking of Steve Howe).