Top players in the 9th Region

TR23

1a. Tyler Sexton- Because he and Hempel will be battling out with the bats all year. I picked Sexton first because not only is he a great hitter but quite possibly the best pitcher in the 9th.

1b. Connor Hempel- Because he is an outstanding hitter but his only downfall is he doesnt pitch anymore. But with his bat around .500 it could be enough for him to win POY.

2. Doug Teegarden- Cant leave out the District MVP and Region MVP.

3. Leiff Clarkson- Doesnt get much recognition but is by far the best shortstop in NKY. If his bat heats up even a little bit he will be a candidate.

4. Jackson Laumann- Ton of upside with a ton of pop in his bat. A solid pitcher also.

5. Dylan Cottingham- I would say the best cather in NKY this year. Also he has worked on his bat this summer and has improved a lot.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1a. Tyler Sexton- Because he and Hempel will be battling out with the bats all year. I picked Sexton first because not only is he a great hitter but quite possibly the best pitcher in the 9th.

1b. Connor Hempel- Because he is an outstanding hitter but his only downfall is he doesnt pitch anymore. But with his bat around .500 it could be enough for him to win POY.

2. Doug Teegarden- Cant leave out the District MVP and Region MVP.

3. Leiff Clarkson- Doesnt get much recognition but is by far the best shortstop in NKY. If his bat heats up even a little bit he will be a candidate.

4. Jackson Laumann- Ton of upside with a ton of pop in his bat. A solid pitcher also.

5. Dylan Cottingham- I would say the best cather in NKY this year. Also he has worked on his bat this summer and has improved a lot.

In taking nothing away from Leiff who is a very good player, but I would not say he is "by far" the best shortstop. Thompson at Cooper only had 3 errors the whole season. He hit very well and also pitches but defensively at short stop he had a great year. Leiff is very good as well.

Have to agree with both HomerunHitter and hja1224. Leiff can play ss but his bat is behind those other guys. Jones is a good player on a bad team and certainly not in the class of Hempel, Laumann, Sexton, or Teegarden for player of the year consideration.

I would have to agree with you Clyde. Hempel and Sexton are the only 2 players up here that I would feel comfortable saying one of them will win the POY award. I know Hempel is getting high looks from big schools like WKU, eku, murray, and UC. I've also heard Morehead and EKU is highly interested in Sexton. If all this is true about these two ballplayers, I don't know. Just going by what I've heard from many sources.

I would have to agree with you Clyde. Hempel and Sexton are the only 2 players up here that I would feel comfortable saying one of them will win the POY award. I know Hempel is getting high looks from big schools like WKU, eku, murray, and UC. I've also heard Morehead and EKU is highly interested in Sexton. If all this is true about these two ballplayers, I don't know. Just going by what I've heard from many sources.

Not sure that Hempel is getting baseball looks from all the schools you mentioned. There are a couple of schools that he has already been offered a football scholarship and the baseball coach of that college expressed interest in having him also play baseball for the school (why not, the baseball coach gets him for "free" since the football team is the one using the scholarship to get him to come to the school). Harvard is not one of these schools, however. If he plays football there (and it's one of his top choices right now), he will not be playing baseball.

Not sure that Hempel is getting baseball looks from all the schools you mentioned. There are a couple of schools that he has already been offered a football scholarship and the baseball coach of that college expressed interest in having him also play baseball for the school (why not, the baseball coach gets him for "free" since the football team is the one using the scholarship to get him to come to the school). Harvard is not one of these schools, however. If he plays football there (and it's one of his top choices right now), he will not be playing baseball.

Coop that's probably what this source told me. They just didn't tell me what he was getting recruited for. Thanks for clearing it up.

I can't imagine March/April weather in Cambridge is conducive to baseball.

Probably not as fun as playing somewhere in Florida. Ultimately, however, Harvard simply won't allow him to play both sports.

Is that football rule or is that a Harvard athletics rule?

I try to watch the Harvard/Yale game each year. I'd love to see 4 playing in that one.