Carmelo Anthony wants out of Denver

Bosh is not far behind Gasol defensively or probably KG at this stage of his career I don't think. I think he'd have his hands full with Bosh.

Boozer averaged 20 points, 14.5 rebounds and shot 51.5% in two games vs. Toronto. Bosh had his breakout season in '05-06 when he averaged 22.5 ppg and 9.2 rpg. Since then, he's never been under 22 points and he's averaged 10 boards in 3 of 4 seasons. Since Boozer missed much of the '05-06 season, including the two games against Toronot, I'll look at his head-to-head stats since then...

They've faced off fives times in that span and Boozer has averaged 24 points and 14 rebounds while shooting 57% from the field.

Gasol isn't a great individual defender, but the Lakers use their length to play great team defense when they choose to. KG is an excellent defender, but more importantly Boston's team defense is great. I don't know how good Bosh is defensively, but I know Toronto didn't play defense like LA and Boston. It remains to be seen whether Miami will play that type of team D.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is one team in the West that could beat a healthy Lakers team. I don't think there is another team out there that could beat the EC champion.

A healthy Boston and LA excluded everyone from the discussion.

But, for argument's sake, two years ago, the Lakers had a much tougher time with Denver to get to the finals than with Orlando once they got there.

Its impossible to say how someone else in the west would have fared against someone else in the east. I think its perceived that the east has more teams than can win a title because they have more teams that can get there. Few people think anyone but LA is coming from the west, so those teams get ruled out of any discussion by default. Since Boston struggled with injury, everyone wrote them off and looked ahead to Cleveland/Orlando.

If you take LA out of the picture, the discussion would be quite different. I don't think there are 7 teams (like PP), but they would have 2-3 in the mix, IMO.

If they remain healthy, I'd be shocked if the NBA champion came from anywhere but Los Angeles, Miami or Boston in the upcoming season.

Boozer averaged 20 points, 14.5 rebounds and shot 51.5% in two games vs. Toronto. Bosh had his breakout season in '05-06 when he averaged 22.5 ppg and 9.2 rpg. Since then, he's never been under 22 points and he's averaged 10 boards in 3 of 4 seasons. Since Boozer missed much of the '05-06 season, including the two games against Toronot, I'll look at his head-to-head stats since then...

They've faced off fives times in that span and Boozer has averaged 24 points and 14 rebounds while shooting 57% from the field.

Gasol isn't a great individual defender, but the Lakers use their length to play great team defense when they choose to. KG is an excellent defender, but more importantly Boston's team defense is great. I don't know how good Bosh is defensively, but I know Toronto didn't play defense like LA and Boston. It remains to be seen whether Miami will play that type of team D.

A healthy Boston and LA excluded everyone from the discussion.

But, for argument's sake, two years ago, the Lakers had a much tougher time with Denver to get to the finals than with Orlando once they got there.

Its impossible to say how someone else in the west would have fared against someone else in the east. I think its perceived that the east has more teams than can win a title because they have more teams that can get there. Few people think anyone but LA is coming from the west, so those teams get ruled out of any discussion by default. Since Boston struggled with injury, everyone wrote them off and looked ahead to Cleveland/Orlando.

If you take LA out of the picture, the discussion would be quite different. I don't think there are 7 teams (like PP), but they would have 2-3 in the mix, IMO.

If they remain healthy, I'd be shocked if the NBA champion came from anywhere but Los Angeles, Miami or Boston in the upcoming season.

I don't see those 2-3 teams.

-Denver was a contender, but I don't think they look like one now. With the Melo drama, the aging of Billups and their frontline, and concerns with George Karl I think they're done.

-OKC has a great young team, but they need a big guy in the worst way. Green can't guard bigs, and I don't know if they have a legit 7 footer that can play, though I like Ibaka.

-Spurs seem older than Boston, if that's possible.

-Do the Jazz have enough scoring on the wings? Aren't they kind of soft inside other that 6'2" PF Paul Milsap?

-Portland has talent, but are they actually a contender or just a good team?

-Dallas has proven to be a pretender year in and year out.

I haven't done the research but does anyone know or can they find out how other teams from the West fared against the Cavs, Celtics and Magic? Those numbers could sway me a little if they favor the East. The East is just so top heavy whereas out West they battle all the way to April 20th for playoff position with 50+ wins. Didn't Toronto and Philly make the playoffs? I can't co-sign that as a sign of the balance of power shifting.

I don't see those 2-3 teams.

-Denver was a contender, but I don't think they look like one now. With the Melo drama, the aging of Billups and their frontline, and concerns with George Karl I think they're done.

-OKC has a great young team, but they need a big guy in the worst way. Green can't guard bigs, and I don't know if they have a legit 7 footer that can play, though I like Ibaka.

-Spurs seem older than Boston, if that's possible.

-Do the Jazz have enough scoring on the wings? Aren't they kind of soft inside other that 6'2" PF Paul Milsap?

-Portland has talent, but are they actually a contender or just a good team?

-Dallas has proven to be a pretender year in and year out.

I was referring to the last couple of seasons mainly. I don't think any of them are contenders because I don't think they can beat LA in a 7-game series.

It depends on what you value your more, just like the strongest conference arguments in college football. Elite teams at the top or more depth. In the upcoming season, assuming all stay healthy, IMO, the west has one potential champions (LA), and the east has two (Boston and Miami). There's little doubt that the west is better from top to bottom.

I haven't done the research but does anyone know or can they find out how other teams from the West fared against the Cavs, Celtics and Magic? Those numbers could sway me a little if they favor the East. The East is just so top heavy whereas out West they battle all the way to April 20th for playoff position with 50+ wins. Didn't Toronto and Philly make the playoffs? I can't co-sign that as a sign of the balance of power shifting.

I don't think that tells us much at all. The Lakers were 2-4 last season against the top 3 teams in the East (Boston, Orlando and Cleveland). They're 7-11 against those three teams over the past 3 seasons.

I don't know what the actual W-L splits would be with other teams, but by that argument LA wouldn't be a contender.

I was referring to the last couple of seasons mainly. I don't think any of them are contenders because I don't think they can beat LA in a 7-game series.

It depends on what you value your more, just like the strongest conference arguments in college football. Elite teams at the top or more depth. In the upcoming season, assuming all stay healthy, IMO, the west has one potential champions (LA), and the east has two (Boston and Miami). There's little doubt that the west is better from top to bottom.

I think a deeper conference doesn't mean anything. It's like the SEC in football this year. Sure the SEC is still the deepest conference in the country, but it looks like a bunch of teams fighting for 2nd place. That's what the West is to me. I'm the kind of guy that's going to say the Big 10 is better this season because they have more teams that can win the BCS Title, even though their conference isn't as deep.

I don't care if every team in the West is good, I don't see anyone beating LA if they're healthy and I don't see the rest of them being able to beat Miami, Boston or Orlando. At least the East has 3 teams that could win it, and all 3 would have a punchers chance of winning the title IMO, though it would be very hard for Orlando.

To each his own...

The SEC is typically the deepest and the best at the top. But, you may be right. This may be the year this decade when another conference is better. :idunno:

I have my doubts.

BTW, how did the Magic go from no shot at beating Miami in post #26 to having a punchers chance at a title? I can't keep up with which side I'm supposed to argue. :D

To each his own...

The SEC is typically the deepest and the best at the top. But, you may be right. This may be the year this decade when another conference is better. :idunno:

I have my doubts.

BTW, how did the Magic go from no shot at beating Miami in post #26 to having a punchers chance at a title? I can't keep up with which side I'm supposed to argue. :D

Some feel the Magic are a contender. I still rank them in the top 4 teams in the league.

I don't think that tells us much at all. The Lakers were 2-4 last season against the top 3 teams in the East (Boston, Orlando and Cleveland). They're 7-11 against those three teams over the past 3 seasons.

I don't know what the actual W-L splits would be with other teams, but by that argument LA wouldn't be a contender.

I think a deeper conference doesn't mean anything. It's like the SEC in football this year. Sure the SEC is still the deepest conference in the country, but it looks like a bunch of teams fighting for 2nd place. That's what the West is to me. I'm the kind of guy that's going to say the Big 10 is better this season because they have more teams that can win the BCS Title, even though their conference isn't as deep.

I don't care if every team in the West is good, I don't see anyone beating LA if they're healthy and I don't see the rest of them being able to beat Miami, Boston or Orlando. At least the East has 3 teams that could win it, and all 3 would have a punchers chance of winning the title IMO, though it would be very hard for Orlando.

To each his own...

I have my doubts.

Good points. I am swayed a little. I I still think the 6 seed out West would give the 1 seed in the East a better series than vice versa. I can't get that thought out of my head when making my decision, but the top 3 in the East are more legitimate contenders than the top 3 out West. I'll give you that.