Braves acquire Alex Gonzalez & minor league players from Blue Jays

For Yunel Escobar and Jo-Jo Reyes.

I am still unsure of this trade. I like Escobar and his ability but he has really struggled this year and it seems that his arrogance hasn't gotten any better this year, which has frustrated the Braves organization in the past.

If Gonzalez can continue to hit homeruns and play solid defense it'll be a good move for the Braves.

Hopefully they'll still add an outfielder to help produce runs in that lineup; Hart, Willingham, doubting Bautista now.

I guess I am the only one posting so far that likes the trade. He may fall off the second half but I am glad to see the Braves making some moves. Let's hope it works out.

I like that they are willing to make moves, but that doesn't mean just make any move just to do it. One piece of analysis I found interesting was that Gonzalez hasn't played in more than 112 games in a season since 2005. He already has 85 under his belt.

He's just about had a career season in his first half alone, so hopefully that carries on, but if it doesn't, this is a huge bust. Defensively, there's no comparison between the two. Future-wise, there's REALLY no comparison.

If the Braves are really looking to enhance this team for the second half, they had better not be done with this one.

It wouldn't surprise me if Escobar, if he's healthy, puts up better numbers than Gonzalez in the second half.

What's funny is that if the Braves had made this trade last year or even three months ago, they would've been hammered for it. Just remember the last time the Braves panicked on an established player that had a bad half-season ... he's Kelly Johnson, now putting up pretty good numbers in Arizona.

It wouldn't surprise me if Escobar, if he's healthy, puts up better numbers than Gonzalez in the second half.

What's funny is that if the Braves had made this trade last year or even three months ago, they would've been hammered for it. Just remember the last time the Braves panicked on an established player that had a bad half-season ... he's Kelly Johnson, now putting up pretty good numbers in Arizona.

Not so much.

Kelly Johnson didn't play just "half a season" with the Braves before they made a move. He actually played 106 games and had a batting average of .224, so to use that analogy is off considering the number of players who switch teams and do better. Just look at Edgar Renteria going from Boston to Atlanta.

Now I will say that I did like Escobar as a player and you are correct that at this time last year no one would have even considered this happening but times change and so do players. Escobar wasn't a clubhouse favorite due to his arrogant ways on the field and in the clubhouse. Bobby Cox didn't like him and many players felt like he didn't hustle enough on the basepaths.

Also, Escobar while accurate with a lot of throws seemed to be pretty lackadaisical at times and some costed the Braves wins. He has 14 errors thus far while Gonzo only has 11. I'm not saying that Gonzalez is the better player but I do think that it was time for a change and unfortunately he was dealt to Toronto. I hope He gets back on track and has a successful career but he wasn't a Atlanta Braves type of player in the end.