Why were the 13th Region games cancelled?

4chs

Some very strange circumstances surrounding yesterday's "rain out" at Middlesboro. I understand that it changes the pitching rotations for today's games which upset a couple of coaches.:idunno:

Heard it was called after a down pour in Middlesboro. Then sun broke out and the forecast changed and their AD thought they could make an attempt so they called the schools back to tell them it was still on and McWhorter claimed it was too late and he couldn't get ahold of everybody. My buddy that told me this is a good friend of Middlesboro's AD and he said he was 25 minutes AT MOST between calls.

Middlesboro's AD then told McWhorter the games were on and that he would have to do what he could do. McWhorter got upset and called Julian Tackett, who then contacted Middlesboro's AD and said the games couldn't be played since they were originally cancelled.

Ultimately, it sounds like McWhorter took advantage of a tough situation. That may be why I never really cared for him. The games will go on today though. And I'm not sure if it affects pitching. I know it doesn't affect Middlesboro, Clay County, or Corbin. Unless North Laurel is wanting to start the same pitcher they did on opening day, it won't affect them either. How sharp can a guy actually be on a 1 day rest after throwing 5 innings?

Heard it was called after a down pour in Middlesboro. Then sun broke out and the forecast changed and their AD thought they could make an attempt so they called the schools back to tell them it was still on and McWhorter claimed it was too late and he couldn't get ahold of everybody. My buddy that told me this is a good friend of Middlesboro's AD and he said he was 25 minutes AT MOST between calls.

Middlesboro's AD then told McWhorter the games were on and that he would have to do what he could do. McWhorter got upset and called Julian Tackett, who then contacted Middlesboro's AD and said the games couldn't be played since they were originally cancelled.

Ultimately, it sounds like McWhorter took advantage of a tough situation. That may be why I never really cared for him. The games will go on today though. And I'm not sure if it affects pitching. I know it doesn't affect Middlesboro, Clay County, or Corbin. Unless North Laurel is wanting to start the same pitcher they did on opening day, it won't affect them either. How sharp can a guy actually be on a 1 day rest after throwing 5 innings?

That is real close to the way I heard it, except I heard that when Powell told Ledington the game was canceled, Ledington said they he was coming up to look at the field himself. Powell calls back 10 minutes later and said that they had changed their mind and were going to play. Corbin gets ready to load the bus, then 10 minutes later, Powell calls back and says that North will not play because they had already told their players it was canceled and some had left school.

Well, considering this was done in the middle of the day, I doubt very seriously that anyone had any buses loaded and ready to go.

Secondly, I heard it was the AD who made the call first. He told Powell the field was swamped and he didn't think there was anyway so he wanted Powell to call the other coaches. After Ledington displayed a little frustration, Powell said he would go check the field himself. He thought he might be able to get it ready and that is when he called them back telling them the game was on.

I don't see how this benefits Middlesboro at all actually. They threw their ace against us on Monday and he went a full seven innings. Even with the rainout, the championship is still being played on the same day, Thursday, which makes Ferguson from Middlesboro, still unable to go. Where is the advantage for them?

And weren't they set to host the region next year anyway? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Well, considering this was done in the middle of the day, I doubt very seriously that anyone had any buses loaded and ready to go.

Secondly, I heard it was the AD who made the call first. He told Powell the field was swamped and he didn't think there was anyway so he wanted Powell to call the other coaches. After Ledington displayed a little frustration, Powell said he would go check the field himself. He thought he might be able to get it ready and that is when he called them back telling them the game was on.

Since North Laurel is still in school and if it was as early as you say, how is it possible that NL could not contact their players? Would they not still be in classes?

I don't see how this benefits Middlesboro at all actually. They threw their ace against us on Monday and he went a full seven innings. Even with the rainout, the championship is still being played on the same day, Thursday, which makes Ferguson from Middlesboro, still unable to go. Where is the advantage for them?

And weren't they set to host the region next year anyway? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

The only way I see it benefiting Middlesboro, not really knowing their pitching situation, is that if North Laurel pitches their #1 today, then they can't throw him against them in the finals if they both make it, whereas Corbin will have their #1 available for the finals if they make it that far.

Since North Laurel is still in school and if it was as early as you say, how is it possible that NL could not contact their players? Would they not still be in classes?

With North Laurel still in school and routes that needed to be run to get students home, it's possible that North couldn't get a bus to take them after they had already cancelled said bus. Just throwing out a couple problems that have occurred for my team on occasion.

North has beaten Corbin twice with their ace on the mound, maybe the third time will be the charm for the Hounds, that is if he even pitches. It really doesn't matter, whoever plays the best as a team today wins.

There lies the root of the problem. Just a big load of crap from McWhorter in my opinion. He said they may have checked out already...he didn't know. Sounds like he didn't want to play.

You can't cancel a tournament and then uncancel it. It's a KHSAA rule. So all you corbinites that were complaning, talk to the Middlesboro AD and quit blaming it on NL.

The botttom line is Powell tried to pull a fast one. He was looking for a reason not to play after finishing up late on Monday night. Do I think NL could have gotten a bus?...Yes, if they had really wanted too, but the game was cancelled so I think that while it feels kinda dirty they were within the rules not to play. The bottom line is Middlesboro got what they deserved. Its flat out bush league not to do everything you can do to play a tournament game. Besides, why would you want to put the 13th region at a disadvantage in ther State Tournament? It seems to me that you would want your team to be as fresh as possible when they arrive in Lexington. Oh well, karma is a funny thing.

As mentioned before, it wasn't Powell's call. Regardless, go to 3 Final Four's like Powell has and then you can question him.

I went to both games last night and if Clay County plays anywhere close to the way they did against Middlesboro, they'll win by 5+ runs. Speaking of bush league, what was up with Ledington challenging who the home team was 5 minutes before the game. haha I guess I had forgotten that he's only been a head coach for about 3 or 4 years. That's the way they've done it for 25 years Rob. Read a rulebook.