All day long(12 hour) Coach-Pitch tournaments?

All In

Dude, I had a coach pitch team. Not sure what you are talking about. Oh wait. You read what you wanted. I said "Coach pitch tournament". There! And yes, again parents need to get a life on this subject. Again "tournament"! Now I'm convinced.:irked:

Dude, what do the parents have to do with it? I don't care if you managed the Detroit Tigers.

I just don't get it obviously. If you think that's too much on those kids, why sign up? Why blame parents? Man, I'm sick of hearing everyone else is to be blamed. No accountability. If it's too much don't play. No one had a gun to their heads to sign up.

FYI, the Bluegrass Games have had a tournament of the same ilk for 10 years. Nothing new here.

I'm sorry, but I have never heard of a Coach pitch tournament. I mean, are you serious. Coach pitch!!! This is absurd!!! I mean for what, a participation trophey. Let's all feel good. i can't believe it has gotten to this. Who is making the money on this? That is probably the driving force behind it. IMO, parents need to get a life. It just isn't that important!!!! And nobody can convince me otherwise.

What in the world are you talking about? The original post asked if it was too much. I don't see what parents have to do with it. I agree that's alot of games in the heat. But think maybe you're a little over the top on this one.

Dude, what do the parents have to do with it? I don't care if you managed the Detroit Tigers.

I just don't get it obviously. If you think that's too much on those kids, why sign up? Why blame parents? Man, I'm sick of hearing everyone else is to be blamed. No accountability. If it's too much don't play. No one had a gun to their heads to sign up.

FYI, the Bluegrass Games have had a tournament of the same ilk for 10 years. Nothing new here.

What in the world are you talking about? The original post asked if it was too much. I don't see what parents have to do with it. I agree that's alot of games in the heat. But think maybe you're a little over the top on this one.

Are you two serious? Ok, let's not blame the parents. I guess when your 4 and 5 year old said, "hey Mom and Dad, can I play Coach pitch baseball and be in a tournament", and you followed with, sure son, you just need to go sign up. LOL!!!!!! Parents have everything to do with it! They are 4 and 5 year olds! OMG!!! You guys-:notworthy:

Are you two serious? Ok, let's not blame the parents. I guess when your 4 and 5 year old said, "hey Mom and Dad, can I play Coach pitch baseball and be in a tournament", and you followed with, sure son, you just need to go sign up. LOL!!!!!! Parents have everything to do with it! They are 4 and 5 year olds! OMG!!! You guys-:notworthy:

6,7, and 8. Whatever.

6,7, and 8. Whatever.

There are 7 and 8 year olds still in Coach pitch? Ooookay. Still developing I guess. Well, either way, I still think it's too much for a "Coach pitch Tournament" whether 4,5 or 8 years old.:ohbrother:

You mean the coaches have everything to do with it? I've played on many baseball teams and not once have the parents signed up a team for a tournament. It was the coaches.

You are way off base here.

You mean the coaches have everything to do with it? I've played on many baseball teams and not once have the parents signed up a team for a tournament. It was the coaches. [/b]!

This is the mentality I'm dealing with here. Again, it starts with the parents. You mean to tell me that parents let their little 4-8 year old little Jimmies decide what Coach pitch tournament or any game, season, or practice for that matter they are going to do. PLEASE! :deadhorse:

You mean the coaches have everything to do with it? I've played on many baseball teams and not once have the parents signed up a team for a tournament. It was the coaches.

But in this case, I'm sure a parent was the coach. Plus, I've never seen a coach pitch league where 1) players were required to attend practice/games or sacrifice playing time (meaning the parents could've kept their kids home) 2) scores were kept. Coach pitch is meant to be an instructional level where kids learn the basic fundamentals. At this level, it really is all on the parents. Yes the coach signs them up, but the parents have options.

Someone mentioned the Bluegrass games, and I looked it up. They have coach pitch tournaments for 7 and 8 year olds. I still think it's a joke to have a coach pitch tournament, unless it's just a round robin where everyone plays each other. Also, 8 year olds, and sometimes 7 year olds are too old for coach pitch IMO. In the league I coached the last few years, we had 5, 6, and 7 year olds. Most of our 7 year olds could've moved up to kid pitch (D ball), but decided to play another year together at the coach pitch level. However, they have no right playing coach pitch this year at 8. The league I'm in now, we have coach pitch for 5 and 6, then machine pitch for 7.

There was a coach-pitch tournament in our area yesterday(90 degree temps mind you) for 6-7-8 year olds that started at 10am and lasted till almost midnight on a ONE field baseball park,round robin format with 7 teams. When a team wasn't playing they had to wait around,practice etc. in the heat or shade. This tournament in our area has gone on for years around Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day, isn't this a quite a bit extreme, borderline illegial for this age group or any age group to play 4-6 games in a day over a 10-12 hour span or is this the norm for coach-pitch tournaments in this state and others? Thanks for comments.

1) I would love to hear how you think it was illegal. A tad excessive maybe. But illegal?

2) 90 degree heat is tough, no doubt. But also keep in mind that temperature was extremely unusual for that time of year. Probably should have been around 80 degrees, which I'm guessing would have made it much more palatable for everyone.

3) You called this a round robin tournament, which to me implies it was more about every team getting a chance to play the other and getting an opportunity to play a bunch of games moreso that really finding the winner of the tournament.

4) I would assume that any parent that thought it was excessive/oppressive/unhealthy/illegal would have had the common sense to take their child home. No one had these kids or parents chained to the field, did they?

5) The one field format is indeed very unfortunate and not well thought out, though perhaps the host genuinely felt that the boys playing a game and then having a break in-between games was actually beneficial. Nonetheless, the coaches of these teams were (or should have been) aware of the format and field situation when they signed their team up and obviously didn't object to it.

6) I'm not sure an all-day tournament for this age is the smartest thing to do, but neither do I feel it was something bordering on child abuse. My guess is that the majority of griping came from parents who felt they had better things to do on a Satruday than spend all day at a baseball field, but that most of the kids probably enjoyed the experience.