Ryle 11 Conner 6

Ryle picks up their third win over Conner this year. Gorbandt starts and goes 5 innings, giving up 5 runs in tough conditions (strong wind blowing out). Watson relieves and only gives up one run (Pugh bomb) in 2 innings. Ryle scores 3 times in first on Clarkson's first varsity HR, then adds 5 runs in the second to go up 8-1. Conner refuses to die, however, and makes a game of it. Lots of hitting in this game. West also hits HR for Conner. Multi-hit games for Clarkson, Hempel, Hoskins for Ryle and most everyone in order had a hit. Some sloppy defense by both teams allowed for some unearned runs. And, as usual, :p Conner had some questionable baserunning.

And while I'm at it, can someone from Conner explain to me the logic behind having your second baseman come 4 feet in front of second base when he's covering a throw on a steal? The time it takes him to catch a ball, turn around and swipe for the runner sliding into the base is simply not necessary and no doubt costs them opportunities to nail runners stealing (at least one tonight). I'll bet Conner catchers have lost out on several caught basestealers because of this technique. Coming in front of the bag is one thing, but 4 feet in front of the bag is overkill.

Edited by cooperstown
sp

BTW, lest I forget - GREAT defensive game by Hoskins at catcher tonight. Super grab of a foul pop up against the backstop and even better play when he grabbed a bunt (maybe a swinging bunt, can't recall) and dove headfirst to tag home just ahead of the oncoming runner.

BTW, lest I forget - GREAT defensive game by Hoskins at catcher tonight. Super grab of a foul pop up against the backstop and even better play when he grabbed a bunt (maybe a swinging bunt, can't recall) and dove headfirst to tag home just ahead of the oncoming runner.

One of the better defensive plays I have seen a HS catcher make:thumb:

Ryle picks up their third win over Conner this year. Gorbandt starts and goes 5 innings, giving up 5 runs in tough conditions (strong wind blowing out). Watson relieves and only gives up one run (Pugh bomb) in 2 innings. Ryle scores 3 times in first on Clarkson's first varsity HR, then adds 5 runs in the second to go up 8-1. Conner refuses to die, however, and makes a game of it. Lots of hitting in this game. West also hits HR for Conner. Multi-hit games for Clarkson, Hempel, Hoskins for Ryle and most everyone in order had a hit. Some sloppy defense by both teams allowed for some unearned runs. And, as usual, :p Conner had some questionable baserunning.

And while I'm at it, can someone from Conner explain to me the logic behind having your second baseman come 4 feet in front of second base when he's covering a throw on a steal? The time it takes him to catch a ball, turn around and swipe for the runner sliding into the base is simply not necessary and no doubt costs them opportunities to nail runners stealing (at least one tonight). I'll bet Conner catchers have lost out on several caught basestealers because of this technique. Coming in front of the bag is one thing, but 4 feet in front of the bag is overkill.

I specifically remember you teaching your boys in summer ball to do the same thing! :laugh: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a nice play on the bunt.

Conner coaching again, questionable. Conner down 8-3 they get a lead off double and the coach trys to bunt the runner over to 3rd. Why would you have the hitter do that in that situation??????

I specifically remember you teaching your boys in summer ball to do the same thing! :laugh: :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not in this lifetime. :lol:

The young man literally has to dive backwards to try to tag the runner after he catches the ball. I cannot believe something is not said to him. I suspect he's actually been told to do it this way. :idunno:

So, in your opinion, how many caught stealing opportunites have been lost because of this?

Conner coaching again, questionable. Conner down 8-3 they get a lead off double and the coach trys to bunt the runner over to 3rd. Why would you have the hitter do that in that situation??????[/QUOTE]

Especially with Parker Ryle up who has been clutch all year for Conner.

Conner coaching again, questionable. Conner down 8-3 they get a lead off double and the coach trys to bunt the runner over to 3rd. Why would you have the hitter do that in that situation??????[/QUOTE]

Especially with Parker Ryle up who has been clutch all year for Conner.

Sometimes the hardest part of coaching is knowing when to get out of the way of your players and just let them play. You feel like you have to do something and end up stealing or bunting when it's not necessary.

Not in this lifetime. :lol:

The young man literally has to dive backwards to try to tag the runner after he catches the ball. I cannot believe something is not said to him. I suspect he's actually been told to do it this way. :idunno:

So, in your opinion, how many caught stealing opportunites have been lost because of this?

Funny you should ask, I have actually kept track after a fashion and it happened several times before I started counting so the numbers would be modestly accurate. Approx. 8 or 9 times a year no matter who's catching I have witnessed great throws erased because of middle infielders either being lazy or not being where they should to properly recieve the baseball! Not to mention dozens of free stolen bases because unless the pitcher is smart enough to hold the base runners close or God forbid actually make a throw to the base, that even Johnny Bench himself couldn't throw a guy out, with a 30 foot headstart and no slidestep! :ohbrother: :confused:

Conner coaching again, questionable. Conner down 8-3 they get a lead off double and the coach trys to bunt the runner over to 3rd. Why would you have the hitter do that in that situation??????

On the play that Hoskins did a 180 and dove back and tagged home before Gill could score, it wasn't a bunt - it was one of those swinging bunts that die in front of home plate. Bases were loaded which made diving and tagging the plate necessary before Gill reached it. It was a good instinct play.

On the bunt attempt with the runner on second, no outs, and down five - if I'm thinking about the right play - it did look like the batter was trying to sacrifice - I thought he was - but he might have been bunting on his own for a hit - particularly since he didn't try bunting again during the rest of that at bat.

On the play that Hoskins did a 180 and dove back and tagged home before Gill could score, it wasn't a bunt - it was one of those swinging bunts that die in front of home plate. Bases were loaded which made diving and tagging the plate necessary before Gill reached it. It was a good instinct play.

On the bunt attempt with the runner on second, no outs, and down five - if I'm thinking about the right play - it did look like the batter was trying to sacrifice - I thought he was - but he might have been bunting on his own for a hit - particularly since he didn't try bunting again during the rest of that at bat.

I don't know for sure if it was a sac or not, but lets talk about a sacrifice bunt compared to bunting for a hit. Not many guys on this team have the speed or savy to bunt for a hit. That being said 95% of the time it is a sacrifice, but to a fan alot of times it appears to be a last second attempt to try and do it for a hit! The batter must square the moment the pitcher steps on the rubber and begins his pitch not 10 feet before it crosses the plate! THE BASE RUNNER MUST NOT TRY AND ADVANCE UNTIL HE SEES THE BALL ON THE GROUND AFTER CONTACT FROM THE BAT! This does not happen with the Cougars most of the time, and is another area that has killed them from scoring runs! You can't assume that these guys no what to do in situational baseball it must be reinforced in practice and during the game! It comes down to a lack of fundamental dicipline and has cost a pretty decent team several close games! :confused:

The play I am talking about was when Liechty doubled to lead off the inning, with Conner down 8-3, and then the coach had Hart try to sacrifice bunt. It was pooped up and the catcher caught the ball behind home plate.