Should the private schools leave the KHSAA?

StThomasMore

This is St. Thomas More's first attempt at starting a thread. However, this is obviously a good place to start.

It is time for the private schools of Kentucky to join together and organize as a group. Much more can be accomplished if we form a united front and seek results which are beneficial to all of us. We cannot succeed when we operate as independent contractors. There is greater strength and increased political power when we band together.

I would call upon the most influential of our group (St. Xavier, Trinity, LexCath, CovCath, Sacred Heart, CAL, LCA, UHA) to get the ball rolling. Someone schedule and hold a meeting of the privates and organize a plan of action. Surely, many of the others (NCC, Bishop Brossart, St. Henry, Rose Hill, Holy Cross, St. Marys, Owensboro Catholic, etc.) will join in for common effort.

All the complaining and name calling will accomplish nothing. It is time to organize and make our presence felt by the KHSAA and by the publics. If this is done, it may well be said in a couple of years that the selfishness and selfcenteredness of the publics which was so shamelessly displayed today was a serious mistake. However, if we do nothing, we lose. The time to act is now- not later.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is St. Thomas More's first attempt at starting a thread. However, this is obviously a good place to start.

It is time for the private schools of Kentucky to join together and organize as a group. Much more can be accomplished if we form a united front and seek results which are beneficial to all of us. We cannot succeed when we operate as independent contractors. There is greater strength and increased political power when we band together.

I would call upon the most influential of our group (St. Xavier, Trinity, LexCath, CovCath, Sacred Heart, CAL, LCA, UHA) to get the ball rolling. Someone schedule and hold a meeting of the privates and organize a plan of action. Surely, many of the others (NCC, Bishop Brossart, St. Henry, Rose Hill, Holy Cross, St. Marys, Owensboro Catholic, etc.) will join in for common effort.

All the complaining and name calling will accomplish nothing. It is time to organize and make our presence felt by the KHSAA and by the publics. If this is done, it may well be said in a couple of years that the selfishness and selfcenteredness of the publics which was so shamelessly displayed today was a serious mistake. However, if we do nothing, we lose. The time to act is now- not later.

Interesting! Would someone like to regionalize the privates as they stand today?

DAVE

Interesting! Would someone like to regionalize the privates as they stand today?

DAVE

Dave this could be a windfall for MMI! Now they could join up with the private Schools and compete for a State Championship. I familiar with what MMI is about and what they are planning for the future and if this Private School Division does truly happen then the Football Team might be placed on a fast track? I am not even sure if the Private Schools are truly aware of how good MMI basketball is this year. I think they would be the favorite to win the basketball State Championship. I bet Colonel "C" is smiling tonight!

Dave this could be a windfall for MMI! Now they could join up with the private Schools and compete for a State Championship. I familiar with what MMI is about and what they are planning for the future and if this Private School Division does truly happen then the Football Team might be placed on a fast track? I am not even sure if the Private Schools are truly aware of how good MMI basketball is this year. I think they would be the favorite to win the basketball State Championship. I bet Colonel "C" is smiling tonight!

MMI - is that Millersburg Military Institute?

I bet Colonel "C" is smiling tonight!

Actually, it is Colonel "S" now. Colonel Sifford took over about six weeks back when Colonel Carruthers moved to Florida (I believe).

Thanks for the comments on our basketball program - we are all excited about it this year. We open with a scrimmage on Monday (4.00pm) at home against St Catherine's College from Bardstown, KY.

Both our football and soccer programs (and hopefully, baseball) are in first years of existence. We did resurrect football after a hiatus of about 5 years. As you say, maybe we can speed up our programs' growth with this. There has to be a silver lining somewhere.

I guess, as soccer coach, I can spend my time at Masterson Station and KY Horse Park recruiting new players from now on (hehe)!

DAVE

According to the CJ, the schools in TN say it is very very difficult to form your own association:

Complete separation?

Given the negatives and the inevitable wounded feelings, why didn't the evicted private schools simply break away and form their own organization eight years ago? Carter says there was some sentiment for that.

"The immediate emotional response is, `Let's form our own,'" he said.

Then, he said, practical considerations take over. Who would write and enforce the rules? Who would train and hire officials and run tournaments? The TSSAA already was in that business. Starting a new organization seemed less attractive.

"That pragmatic side sort of shifts in," Carter said. "It's the dog catching the car. He's got it; now he doesn't know what to do with it."

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051018/SPORTS05/51018009/0/SPORTS05

Not to mention the KHSAA has a rule that KHSAA members can not play non members.

Actually, it is Colonel "S" now. Colonel Sifford took over about six weeks back when Colonel Carruthers moved to Florida (I believe).

Thanks for the comments on our basketball program - we are all excited about it this year. We open with a scrimmage on Monday (4.00pm) at home against St Catherine's College from Bardstown, KY.

Both our football and soccer programs (and hopefully, baseball) are in first years of existence. We did resurrect football after a hiatus of about 5 years. As you say, maybe we can speed up our programs' growth with this. There has to be a silver lining somewhere.

I guess, as soccer coach, I can spend my time at Masterson Station and KY Horse Park recruiting new players from now on (hehe)!

DAVE

Did Colonel Carruthers retire?

I talked with him this summer and did not get that impression.

What would happen if the private schools left the KHSAA?

Then they could make their own rules.

If it was me the first rule I would make is 2 divisions.

2.Can not play KHSAA member schools.

3.No district boundaries.

4.Any student can transfer from a KHSAA school and be

immediately eligible,if enrolled at the start of school year.

(If they fear recruiting of their best players then allow it)

5.Consider the work the athletes do(practice and games) while still being students to count as work hours for work study programs,to

lessen the cost for tuition.

I am sure there are a lot of other good ideas out there!

I started a thread on this back in September when a lot of the commotion began.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=76473

I think that the private schools should leave the KHSAA, and begin their own organization if this comes to fruition. I believe it was Rockmom that mentioned that Louisville currently has a governing body for grade school sports, and maybe those in charge there could pave the way for the same type of governing body on the high school level.

My question is if the privates do leave, and I hope they do if this passes, then will any other schools leave with them? Highlands, Boyle County, Warren Central, Mason County (just to name a few) are all more than capable of competing with private schools, and have shown it time and time again.

If the privates do leave, it would be a nightmare for any school still under the KHSAA. These private schools, many of which are already accused of recruiting, will be able to do so openly and give full scholarships to whomever they want. Not only will the private schools attract even MORE of the best athletes, but they'll be able to play on a national level and be recognized. That too will lead to more of the superior athletes wanting to play for a particular school, and it will continue to snowball from there.

I started a thread on this back in September when a lot of the commotion began.

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=76473

I think that the private schools should leave the KHSAA, and begin their own organization if this comes to fruition. I believe it was Rockmom that mentioned that Louisville currently has a governing body for grade school sports, and maybe those in charge there could pave the way for the same type of governing body on the high school level.

My question is if the privates do leave, and I hope they do if this passes, then will any other schools leave with them? Highlands, Boyle County, Warren Central, Mason County (just to name a few) are all more than capable of competing with private schools, and have shown it time and time again.

If the privates do leave, it would be a nightmare for any school still under the KHSAA. These private schools, many of which are already accused of recruiting, will be able to do so openly and give full scholarships to whomever they want. Not only will the private schools attract even MORE of the best athletes, but they'll be able to play on a national level and be recognized. That too will lead to more of the superior athletes wanting to play for a particular school, and it will continue to snowball from there.

Excactly my thoughts,I believe the backlash could be far more damaging

to KHSAA than any paranoid problems they feel are confronting them now,

if the privates choose to go in this direction.

tell me who schools like Sayre and Whitefield Trinity play when they are no longer allowed to play KHSAA member schools. Again and again you guys think you rule the world and everyone wants to be like you - why would HHS and Male want to consistenly compete against Trinity and St. X in basketball when they have the rest of the state of Kentucky to compete against.

1. This does not just affect Louisville and Northern Ky - there are private schools in other parts of the state

2. It is not all about football.

What would happen if the private schools left the KHSAA?

Then they could make their own rules.

If it was me the first rule I would make is 2 divisions.

2.Can not play KHSAA member schools.

3.No district boundaries.

4.Any student can transfer from a KHSAA school and be

immediately eligible,if enrolled at the start of school year.

(If they fear recruiting of their best players then allow it)

5.Consider the work the athletes do(practice and games) while still being students to count as work hours for work study programs,to

lessen the cost for tuition.

I am sure there are a lot of other good ideas out there!

It might be the costs involved. To form a new league will require hiring officials in many sports. It may be easy in football but very difficult in other sports, such as soccer, cross country, track etc. Remember that if the privates leave the KHSAA the privates can not play the publics in any sport and cannot play any school in Tennessee. The second issue may be that teams from some other states may not be able to play the privates if the privates leave the KHSAA.