Who would be the #1 pick right now ?

Wildcat Dad

It would, but what if he doesn't go? Then you're stuck with a center, two point guards, and no wings/other bigs. I would say Wes Johnson-I don't know what position he really is, I'd say he's a 4, or Cousins, or Favors, along with Harris, LBJ, and Lopez would be just as good eventually-if not better. It's all at how you look at it though. As I said, the Nets probably won't get the #1 pick anyway, I bet it's the Timberwolves.

Would they take Wall after drafting Flynn just last year, especially considering how good Flynn has been?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter who has the first pick in the draft they will take John Wall. Even if a team like Utah (who are a lottery possibility) with a good pg like Deron Williams, gets the #1 pick they would still take Wall. He would be a very valuable trade piece, or may be better than Williams. But barring any catastrophic event Wall will be the #1 pick.

None of those teams have PG's of the caliber that would allow them to pass on Wall, IMO.

The T-Wolves are interesting because they have Flynn and the rights to Ricky Rubio. If they think they can get Rubio, why on earth would they pick another PG. Possibly, I'd trade the rights to Rubio and add Wall.

I just don't think you can pass on a talent like Wall because you have a Devin Harris or someone comparable. Wall will be a top 5 PG for a decade or longer, and could possibly be the best in the league for much of that time.

Guys like Wall and Cousins are going to be even better at the next level. The NBA game will allow them to flourish even more, IMO.

I am not saying that Wall isn't going to be great, but everyone thought that Sebastian Telfair would be the second coming of Isaiah Thomas. I don't see what is absolutely essential in taking Wall if you are the Nets. Devin Harris is more than an adequate point guard IMO, and drafting Favors or Cousins to compliment Brook Lopez could potentially be one of the better front courts in the NBA. I could also see where they would want to Evan Turner or Wes Johnson-thank you for clearing that up BTW, I assumed he was a 4 because because you don't see that many 3's pull down rebounds as effectively as he does, both are going to be elite scorers in the NBA, and since they traded away their best scoring wing in the offseason, I think is a more pressing need.

We've seen the best Harris can be. John Wall will exceed that very quickly into his career. He's a difference maker, a game-changer. A guy they can build around for the next decade and could possibly give them the top player in the league at that position. The presence of Lopez lessens the need to add a big like Cousins or someone else. And, Harris just isn't good enough to justify passing on someone of Wall's talent level and potential.

I don't think we have, he's now only 27-I think, and he should have more in the tank for the next couple of years if he can stay healthy. He averaged 21 points, and 6 assists last season, I think playing with LeBron would increase his scoring by 3 or 4 ppg. And to your point about Cousins not really being essential with Lopez, imagine that combination inside if Lopez continues to get better, and Cousins lives up to his potential. They would be a contender for the Eastern Conference with that front line, Harris, and LeBron. If LeBron doesn't come, it all goes out the window, but I would take the chance on Cousins if I were the Nets before I'd take Wall.

If the Nets land the #1 pick and get Lebron...wow. That will be a turnaround similar to what Boston did by adding Allen and KG...it probably won't result in an immediate title, but it will bring them a more long-term answer.

The Nets would be in position to dominate the eastern conference for several years if Wall reaches his potential and Lopez continues to develop. That team would be fun to watch. James and Wall are so fast getting down the court, they'd be a nightmare open-court duo. I'd like to see it.

I agree that it would be more of a long term plan if LBJ were picked up and Wall were drafted with the #1 pick. I think it would be stupid, however, to draft Wall and try to keep Harris as well, as someone said before, he would have fairly decent trade value, if the Nets were set on drafting JW, I'd get a quality big, and possibly a veteran back up point guard-someone like Rafer Alston, for example.

Seems like the worst team rarely wins the lotto.

If the T-Wolves get the pick, there would be a lot of drama I'd assume because they picked Flynn and Rubio last year.

I think Cousins, Johnson or Turner would be a must here, imagine the combination of Jefferson and Cousins. Jefferson is turning out to be the best player no one talks about, and with Cousins down low as well-and don't forget about Kevin Love, who is manageable, that would be a handful to deal with. I highly doubt they will, and would even question the Timberwolves if they draft Wall.

Wesley Johnson at the 4? He's 6'7'' 200+ pounds.

Wesley Johnson is a 3, maybe a 2, in the NBA.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize he was that short, I thought he was more in the 6'9 area, you usually don't see many guards pulling down double digit rebounds on a regular basis in college.

Would they take Wall after drafting Flynn just last year, especially considering how good Flynn has been?

I don't think they would, as I said to 5Wide, I would would much rather see them take a wing, or Favors/Cousins.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't take Wall #1 if I were a certain team, or that he isn't the best player available, I just think it wouldn't make much sense for the Nets to draft Wall, keep Harris, and go after LeBron. That line-up would be quite entertaining, but when they played a team with athletic bigs, they won't have much of a chance after Lopez. I think the other bigs on their roster are Josh Boone, Tony Battie, Yi Jianlian, and Jarvis Hayes, which is pitiful, but so is the rest of their roster.....

I am not saying that Wall isn't going to be great, but everyone thought that Sebastian Telfair would be the second coming of Isaiah Thomas. I don't see what is absolutely essential in taking Wall if you are the Nets. Devin Harris is more than an adequate point guard IMO, and drafting Favors or Cousins to compliment Brook Lopez could potentially be one of the better front courts in the NBA. I could also see where they would want to Evan Turner or Wes Johnson-thank you for clearing that up BTW, I assumed he was a 4 because because you don't see that many 3's pull down rebounds as effectively as he does, both are going to be elite scorers in the NBA, and since they traded away their best scoring wing in the offseason, I think is a more pressing need.

I agree that it would be more of a long term plan if LBJ were picked up and Wall were drafted with the #1 pick. I think it would be stupid, however, to draft Wall and try to keep Harris as well, as someone said before, he would have fairly decent trade value, if the Nets were set on drafting JW, I'd get a quality big, and possibly a veteran back up point guard-someone like Rafer Alston, for example.

Oh boy, where to start?

Please do us all a favor and never mention Sebastian Telfair & John Wall in the same sentence. Telfair is a 6'0'' point guard who everybody knew needed a few years of college. He received a lot of hype at an early age and everyone else caught up to him. By his senior year of high school, he wasn't even the best player in his class. He wasn't a top 5 player in his class. He was rated in the top 10, but that was largely because of the hype he received early on. Telfair also ran into some legal trouble, which didn't help his cause.

John Wall is a 6'4'' point guard who is oozing with athleticism. He was clearly the #1 player in his class and is a can't miss prospect. A report that I read had a quote from an NBA GM that said, "The question is not whether or not John Wall is the next #1 pick, it's whether or not he'll be the greatest #1 pick ever." That's a pretty big compliment.

If a team were to land LBJ & John Wall, that would not be considered a long-term plan. That'd be a plan for instant success.

Why can't Devin Harris play off the ball? Why can't you play Harris & Wall together? You'd rather trade for Rafer Alston? Really? :lol:

Oh boy, where to start?

Please do us all a favor and never mention Sebastian Telfair & John Wall in the same sentence. Telfair is a 6'0'' point guard who everybody knew needed a few years of college. He received a lot of hype at an early age and everyone else caught up to him. By his senior year of high school, he wasn't even the best player in his class. He wasn't a top 5 player in his class. He was rated in the top 10, but that was largely because of the hype he received early on. Telfair also ran into some legal trouble, which didn't help his cause.

John Wall is a 6'4'' point guard who is oozing with athleticism. He was clearly the #1 player in his class and is a can't miss prospect. A report that I read had a quote from an NBA GM that said, "The question is not whether or not John Wall is the next #1 pick, it's whether or not he'll be the greatest #1 pick ever." That's a pretty big compliment.

If a team were to land LBJ & John Wall, that would not be considered a long-term plan. That'd be a plan for instant success.

Why can't Devin Harris play off the ball? Why can't you play Harris & Wall together? You'd rather trade for Rafer Alston? Really? :lol:

:lol: :thumb: :clap:

As for the Nets....IF they get the number one pick they will trade Harris. Harris for a wing player would be the way to go and is the way that a smart team would go.

If the Hornets or Jazz end up the lottery and some how get the #1 pick they will possibly not take Wall, though I'd imagine that the Jazz would package Williams for another player.

Also, if a team has a decent PG that is young and gets the number 1 pick, I think Cousins is going to sky up the board. He has an NBA ready offensive game right now, and most post players just do not have that coming into the league.

I'm biased and am obviously not qualified to be a judge of talent, but outside of Dwight Howard I can't think of many post players that I would rather take a chance on talent-wise the last few years in front of Cousins. With the right attitude he could average a double double right out of the gate IMO.

Also, if a team has a decent PG that is young and gets the number 1 pick, I think Cousins is going to sky up the board. He has an NBA ready offensive game right now, and most post players just do not have that coming into the league.

I'm biased and am obviously not qualified to be a judge of talent, but outside of Dwight Howard I can't think of many post players that I would rather take a chance on talent-wise the last few years in front of Cousins. With the right attitude he could average a double double right out of the gate IMO.

I love Cousins' game & NBA Potential. He's the best big man prospect in college basketball and probably the best one that has come through since Oden.

With that said, Cousin's game is far from polished. Sure, he looks brilliant at times, but his game is centered around being bigger & stronger than his opponent. That works in college, but he won't be able to do that right away in the NBA. The good news is that Boogie has good feet, good hands and a knack for finishing the basketball. I think Boogie is capable of developing a mid-range game, which will help a lot too.

I'm not sure everyone here is realizing how trading in the NBA works. It's not often you see a blockbuster trade that sends great play for great player. It usually has a lot to do with salary swaps and expiring contracts. The Nets aren't going to trade Harris for some crazy good wing player with a good long term contract. Harris "only" makes about 9 mil a year for the next 3 years.

I'm not sure everyone here is realizing how trading in the NBA works. It's not often you see a blockbuster trade that sends great play for great player. It usually has a lot to do with salary swaps and expiring contracts. The Nets aren't going to trade Harris for some crazy good wing player with a good long term contract. Harris "only" makes about 9 mil a year for the next 3 years.

True, the Nets would probably be taking a player less talented than Harris. But, in the NBA chemistry goes along way. I'm not sure how well Wall and Harris would play next to LeBron. LBJ needs floor spacers who can shoot and play off of the ball. Two PG don't really fill that need.

Devin Harris shoots less than 25% from 3 and people want him to play in the backcourt with Wall, that is laughable IMO. Wall, Harris, and LeBron with Brook Lopez does not win a title. Kobe would humiliate Harris, and the Laker bigs would demoralize Lopez. The Nuggets would run them off the floor. The older than dirt Celtics would probably have a pretty easy time with them. John Wall is great but he has a ways to go before we can say he's in the class of Chris Paul, Nash or even Rondo. JW has a ways to go in the half court and would have to improve his shot alot to play with LeBron.

This is all hypothetical of course, but if NJ gets Wall and LBJ only a fool would keep Devin Harris. He would have absolutely no value beside LeBron.