Who would be the #1 pick right now ?

Wildcat Dad

I love Cousins' game & NBA Potential. He's the best big man prospect in college basketball and probably the best one that has come through since Oden.

With that said, Cousin's game is far from polished. Sure, he looks brilliant at times, but his game is centered around being bigger & stronger than his opponent. That works in college, but he won't be able to do that right away in the NBA. The good news is that Boogie has good feet, good hands and a knack for finishing the basketball. I think Boogie is capable of developing a mid-range game, which will help a lot too.

How many quality bigs are in the NBA? 10? If Cousins is going to struggle next season I would hate to hear the evaluations of a player like Aldridge, Stoudemire or even Howard offensively as a rookie.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy, where to start?

Please do us all a favor and never mention Sebastian Telfair & John Wall in the same sentence. Telfair is a 6'0'' point guard who everybody knew needed a few years of college. He received a lot of hype at an early age and everyone else caught up to him. By his senior year of high school, he wasn't even the best player in his class. He wasn't a top 5 player in his class. He was rated in the top 10, but that was largely because of the hype he received early on. Telfair also ran into some legal trouble, which didn't help his cause.

John Wall is a 6'4'' point guard who is oozing with athleticism. He was clearly the #1 player in his class and is a can't miss prospect. A report that I read had a quote from an NBA GM that said, "The question is not whether or not John Wall is the next #1 pick, it's whether or not he'll be the greatest #1 pick ever." That's a pretty big compliment.

If a team were to land LBJ & John Wall, that would not be considered a long-term plan. That'd be a plan for instant success.

Why can't Devin Harris play off the ball? Why can't you play Harris & Wall together? You'd rather trade for Rafer Alston? Really? :lol:

First, I never said that he wasn't a can't miss prospect, but you make it sound like Devin Harris is complete garbage. He isn't, the Nets' problem isn't Devin Harris, and drafting John Wall and keeping Harris just compounds the problem IMO. Why draft two point guards and plan to play them at the same time? And as for your point about Devin Harris playing off the ball, have you ever seen him play off the ball? He's been one of my favorite players since his time at Wisconsin and I've never seen him play "off the ball". It's not plausible to keep both of them, IMO. You misread my post, I never said that you trade for Rafer Alston to be your starting point guard, I said you trade for a decent post/wing and a veteran point guard such as Rafer Alston which would give some relief to Brook Lopez, and/or will help John Wall transition to the NBA easier.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Harris and draft Wall, if the Nets can swing a trade for a starting-to-quality wing or big and a veteran backup PG, and they draft Wall, then fine. But do you see LeBron leaving Cleveland to play with a rookie, a point guard turned shooting guard and Brook Lopez? I don't, either Harris gets traded or the Nets should draft someone else IMO.

Just FYI CC the Nets already have Rafer Alston. :D :lol:

Actually, he plays for the Heat now. He was released earlier this season, and signed by Miami after he cleared waivers.

First, I never said that he wasn't a can't miss prospect, but you make it sound like Devin Harris is complete garbage. He isn't, the Nets' problem isn't Devin Harris, and drafting John Wall and keeping Harris just compounds the problem IMO. Why draft two point guards and plan to play them at the same time? And as for your point about Devin Harris playing off the ball, have you ever seen him play off the ball? He's been one of my favorite players since his time at Wisconsin and I've never seen him play "off the ball". It's not plausible to keep both of them, IMO. You misread my post, I never said that you trade for Rafer Alston to be your starting point guard, I said you trade for a decent post/wing and a veteran point guard such as Rafer Alston which would give some relief to Brook Lopez, and/or will help John Wall transition to the NBA easier.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Harris and draft Wall, if the Nets can swing a trade for a starting-to-quality wing or big and a veteran backup PG, and they draft Wall, then fine. But do you see LeBron leaving Cleveland to play with a rookie, a point guard turned shooting guard and Brook Lopez? I don't, either Harris gets traded or the Nets should draft someone else IMO.

Actually, he plays for the Heat now. He was released earlier this season, and signed by Miami after he cleared waivers.

:laugh:

BigSpikes

You said Devin Harris is an adequate PG. And, that's my point. You have a chance with Wall to get a once-in-a-generation talent to man the most important position in the game...and that is even more pronounced in the free flowing style of today's NBA that is geared toward offense, IMO. You just cannot pass on a talent like that. When you get a chance to get a potential superstar, you have to take it.

^He's saying that if they are bent on keeping Harris they could not draft Wall because the two would not play together well. They just wouldn't, it's a fact. Guys that are tweeners like a Iverson, Monta Ellis, Mo Williams or Delonte West had better be either extremely good at scoring or able to spot up. The year last season he got 21 a game, but he shot twice as many times as he had in any other season. And for a guy who has a dwindling 3 point percent over the last three years I don't know if you want him to be your 2 guard of the future.

Common sense says that the Nets would most likely trade Harris, even if they didn't get a player of his caliber in return IMO.

^He's saying that if they are bent on keeping Harris they could not draft Wall because the two would not play together well. They just wouldn't, it's a fact. Guys that are tweeners like a Iverson, Monta Ellis, Mo Williams or Delonte West had better be either extremely good at scoring or able to spot up. The year last season he got 21 a game, but he shot twice as many times as he had in any other season. And for a guy who has a dwindling 3 point percent over the last three years I don't know if you want him to be your 2 guard of the future.

Common sense says that the Nets would most likely trade Harris, even if they didn't get a player of his caliber in return IMO.

And what we're all saying is that regardless of what they want to do with Harris, if they have the #1 pick, they're drafting Wall. IMO, they draft Wall and deal with Harris after the fact.

And what we're all saying is that regardless of what they want to do with Harris, if they have the #1 pick, they're drafting Wall. IMO, they draft Wall and deal with Harris after the fact.

Some had stated that they could keep Harris too, which would be pretty dumb. He's not a two and would be horrible there. He doesn't have the game of an NBA wing or a guy who could play both positions.

So IF they desperately wanted to keep Harris they would not take Wall. But, to make room for John Wall you trade a guy like Harris for some other pieces which the Nets desperately need. That is what Spikes is saying. Not that they shouldn't draft Wall.

What's hard about that?:idunno:

:thumb:

Exactly. Draft Wall, deal with the rest later.

Some had stated that they could keep Harris too, which would be pretty dumb. He's not a two and would be horrible there. He doesn't have the game of an NBA wing or a guy who could play both positions.

So IF they desperately wanted to keep Harris they would not take Wall. But, to make room for John Wall you trade a guy like Harris for some other pieces which the Nets desperately need. That is what Spikes is saying. Not that they shouldn't draft Wall.

What's hard about that?:idunno:

No...what Spikes is saying, or at least what he said at the start, is that the Nets would be better off passing on Wall, drafting based on need, and keeping Harris because he's an adequate PG.

How many quality bigs are in the NBA? 10? If Cousins is going to struggle next season I would hate to hear the evaluations of a player like Aldridge, Stoudemire or even Howard offensively as a rookie.

Cousins has similar potential as Wall, IMO. In addition to size and strength, he has great footwork and hands. There's a lot to build on with Cousins. But, there's obviously a lot more to question in the mental game. Big Cuz has the ability to be a dominant big man in the NBA. There aren't that many guys with the strength to match up with him, and many of those don't have the agility and athleticism.