Cincinnati Elder 17 Cincinnati Saint Xavier 14

jbwill2

Wow! So, even in an extremely down year, Colerain didn't make the playoffs!?! I hope some of the local programs can step it up next year and make a better showing.:D

You are correct. Even in a down year we did not make the playoffs. Two losses to start the season is a death sentence with the Harbin System and being a part of a 10-team conference.

If Colerain had made the playoffs, there were 4 or 5 teams that would have ended their season, I believe. They were not good enough to win the region they play in. It was the weakest Colerain team I've seen in over a decade.

Yet, I still think they were good enough to beat Highlands, if they'd played. :sssh: :D

-CardinalsFan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what you are trying to do here, but it's ridiculous when your two losses are to St. X and Elder, and you don't make the playoffs.

Harbin's are all about who you beat, who beat you means nothing. Unfortunately for Colerain they beat mostly bad teams this year, in a pretty bad conference. Not that was the Cards fault. They can't control how good the rest of their conference is, nor can they control what their conference schedule is from year to year.

This year not playing (and likely beating) Lakota West killed them in the Harbin's. Hamilton was suppossed to be good as well, and they were awful. Therefore Colerain's win over them meant almost nothing.

Edited by Sandman

You are correct. Even in a down year we did not make the playoffs. Two losses to start the season is a death sentence with the Harbin System and being a part of a 10-team conference.

If Colerain had made the playoffs, there were 4 or 5 teams that would have ended their season, I believe. They were not good enough to win the region they play in. It was the weakest Colerain team I've seen in over a decade.

Yet, I still think they were good enough to beat Highlands, if they'd played. :sssh: :D

-CardinalsFan

What an epic battle that would have been! But, alas, I haven't the time to ponder what might have been, as the Birds still have some football to play.:D

Harbin's are all about who you beat, who beat you means nothing. Unfortunately for Colerain they beat mostly bad teams this year, in a pretty bad conference. Not that was the Cards fault. They can't control how good the rest of their conference is, nor can they control what their conference schedule is from year to year.

This year not playing (and likely beating) Lakota West killed them in the Harbin's. Hamilton was suppossed to be good as well, and they were awful. Therefore Colerain's win over them meant almost nothing.

Manual not winning more games also hurt. I understand the Harbin ratings, but what I was getting at is that it was out of Colerain's hands so to speak. They took the risk and played 2 of the top 5 teams in the Greater Cincinnati area in the first two weeks of the season. They then beat Manual and had to go into their conference. Due to this season's rotation, they missed playing Lakota West (who played nobody as well). I think not being able to play in the Herbstreit hurt Colerain this year. They'd never lost in the competition and the teams that they played generally won more than 5 games during the regular season, which Manual did not this year.

We did not play Elder and Trotwood Madison in the same year.Get your facts straight before you post about the Birds.

2006- Louisvill Male, Elder, Louisville St. X and Col. St. Francis DeSales

2007- Male, Colerain, St. X and Col. St Francis DeSales.

3Pete, he may of not had the same teams mentioned but relax he was close. I believe we are on the same team here, let's act like it.:isurrender:

2006- Louisvill Male, Elder, Louisville St. X and Col. St. Francis DeSales

2007- Male, Colerain, St. X and Col. St Francis DeSales.

3Pete, he may of not had the same teams mentioned but relax he was close. I believe we are on the same team here, let's act like it.:isurrender:

Now I'm confused... Highlands scrimmaged Male in 06 and 07, they didn't play them during the season. Also, HHS did not play Columbus DeSales in 2007, only in 2005 and 2006.

Everything you say here is absolutely true.

However, we did beat a team that throttled Moeller 45-10...FWIW.

Not playing Lakota West, or Fairfield for that matter, absolutely killed us. either of those teams on the schedule vs. 3 win Mason or 3 win Lakota East would have made the difference.

And to futher the point, if any 1 of 7 games had gone our way on the final weekend, we'd been in, including Manual over Male.

-CF

Now I'm confused... Highlands scrimmaged Male in 06 and 07, they didn't play them during the season. Also, HHS did not play Columbus DeSales in 2007, only in 2005 and 2006.

JB, Thanks 2007 should read 2005, when I checked the schedules it didn't mention scrimmage or not so I posted what I read. Even with the Male scrimmages you have three tough opponents on each schedule. See we all make mistakes!!!:thumb:

JB, Thanks 2007 should read 2005, when I checked the schedules it didn't mention scrimmage or not so I posted what I read. Even with the Male scrimmages you have three tough opponents on each schedule. See we all make mistakes!!!:thumb:

Amen!!!

Go 'Birds!

Manual not winning more games also hurt. I understand the Harbin ratings, but what I was getting at is that it was out of Colerain's hands so to speak. They took the risk and played 2 of the top 5 teams in the Greater Cincinnati area in the first two weeks of the season. They then beat Manual and had to go into their conference. Due to this season's rotation, they missed playing Lakota West (who played nobody as well). I think not being able to play in the Herbstreit hurt Colerain this year. They'd never lost in the competition and the teams that they played generally won more than 5 games during the regular season, which Manual did not this year.

Actually, Lakota West must have played somebody, because they got in even with a regular season loss, and Colerain did not. And, West really got no help from their conference schedule as they did not play either Colerain or Middletown in conference. Of course, avoiding those likely losses is what probably got them in. Kind of ironic.

Everything you say here is absolutely true.

However, we did beat a team that throttled Moeller 45-10...FWIW.

Not playing Lakota West, or Fairfield for that matter, absolutely killed us. either of those teams on the schedule vs. 3 win Mason or 3 win Lakota East would have made the difference.

And to futher the point, if any 1 of 7 games had gone our way on the final weekend, we'd been in, including Manual over Male.

-CF

I generally like the Harbin system, and I think most of the time it gets it right. But, this year there is no question one of the eight best teams in Region 4 were left out of the playoffs. I didn't see it coming, and as you've pointed out in your last graph, it was a strange twist of events that led to it happening.

Actually, Lakota West must have played somebody, because they got in even with a regular season loss, and Colerain did not. And, West really got no help from their conference schedule as they did not play either Colerain or Middletown in conference. Of course, avoiding those likely losses is what probably got them in. Kind of ironic.

Whoever Lakota beat actually won some games. If I'm Boldin, I'm sending a lump of coal to Manual's head coach for Christmas.

Whoever Lakota beat actually won some games. If I'm Boldin, I'm sending a lump of coal to Manual's head coach for Christmas.

Funny story about that....

After the Colerain/Manual game, the Old Goat radio team was being given a quick tour of the Colerain facilities by the WeAreColerain.com team (yours truly and others) and they ended up in the weight room chatting with Coach Bolden. At that point, the Crimsons hadn't won a game and Colerain had just beaten them worse than Trinity did. Needless to say, the crew was feeling a bit down on the prospects for the rest of the season.

Coach Bolden asked them how many games they thought the Crimsons would win and someone said, "After tonight, I'm not sure if there are more than 1 or 2 wins on the schedule."

The look on Coach Bolden's face was priceless! He KNEW that the Cardinals were counting on at least a 6 win Manual team and when he heard that, he went pale white and said, "Oh come on now, don't say that! PLEASE, don't say that!"

At the end of the day the harbins work. Colerain deserved to be in...but so did the 8 teams that made it. The bottom-line is that not enough teams get in and there is always going to be an argument for the first team left out every year, unless every team makes the postseason. The conferences in Ohio need to do a better job helping their teams schedule.

-CardinalsFan