Chris Henry

Just wanted to let you all know that Marvin said that Simpson is going to be the one who gets the shot at the 4th receiver spot. There is also a possibility that Purify will be added from the practice squad, but it doesn't me he will dress on game day.

Where / when did Marvin say this? I have read quite a few sites (including Marvin's post-game press conference transcript) and he said that they would do "what was best for the football team." He basically dodged answering whether Simpson would be the man or not, and said Purify could "possibly" be the guy.

In the locker room, Carson specifically said Purify when Lapham asked if we'd see Simpson.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw him play against several teams. Did you see him play? Clearly not as you are doubting his ability. He has it he just for some reason hasn't translated well to the NFL. Yet. He'll go up and get a ball.

I have seen him play limited action against other players with legitimate & marginal NFL talent. He didn't stand out, good or bad.

Where / when did Marvin say this? I have read quite a few sites (including Marvin's post-game press conference transcript) and he said that they would do "what was best for the football team." He basically dodged answering whether Simpson would be the man or not, and said Purify could "possibly" be the guy.

In the locker room, Carson specifically said Purify when Lapham asked if we'd see Simpson.

Go to Bengals.com and the story about Chris Henry being out for the year. That is where it says it about Marvin saying that.

I saw him play against several teams. Did you see him play? Clearly not as you are doubting his ability. He has it he just for some reason hasn't translated well to the NFL. Yet. He'll go up and get a ball.

I sure hope you are right, but so far you have been far from it. A second round pick can't even get on the field? Something must be wrong with him.

Go to Bengals.com and the story about Chris Henry being out for the year. That is where it says it about Marvin saying that.

:thumb: I see what you're talking about; however, I didn't take it that way from reading the actual post-game presser transcript.

Question: "So, with Chris Henry most likely gone, does this mean Jerome Simpson may get an opportunity? Or maybe give Quan Cosby some time at receiver?"

Marvin's answer: "We could also move Maurice Purify up from the practice squad. We'll look at the best options, because with that, it's a matter of who can I get the most snaps out of on Sunday. That's the important part."

Question: "So Maurice Purify is going to come up to the 53 player roster?"

Marvin: "Possibly."

I didn't get anything out of there that clearly indicated that Simpson was the next in line, although Geoff Hobson apparently did for his article.

Also, Carson quickly named Maurice Purify as a replacement in the locker room when he was specifically asked about whether this opens the door for Jerome Simpson...

• 2 weeks later...
I hope its not his last game in a Bengals uniform. However is anyone else really worried about the offense now that he is out? This offense going all the way back to 2005 just hasn't been the same when he is not playing. In 2005 and 2006 when he was playing was when the offense was at its best. 2007 he missed half the season and that is when the offense started going down hill. Then last year he missed a couple games, and then well Palmer being out. Now this year earlier in the year he wasn't playing as much, and lately he has been playing more and the offense really seemed to start clicking. Today after he got hurt, the offense did nothing. So I am kinda worried about how the offense will respond to this, because they just seemed to finally be getting it going again until his injury.

So I mentioned this right after he got hurt, and so far this offense has not been the same. It wasn't the same the rest of the game against Baltimore. It couldn't score a touchdown against the Steelers, and struggled again today especially in the Red Zone. Seems like with him being out, teams have closed things in on the Bengals a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope its not his last game in a Bengals uniform. However is anyone else really worried about the offense now that he is out? This offense going all the way back to 2005 just hasn't been the same when he is not playing. In 2005 and 2006 when he was playing was when the offense was at its best. 2007 he missed half the season and that is when the offense started going down hill. Then last year he missed a couple games, and then well Palmer being out. Now this year earlier in the year he wasn't playing as much, and lately he has been playing more and the offense really seemed to start clicking. Today after he got hurt, the offense did nothing. So I am kinda worried about how the offense will respond to this, because they just seemed to finally be getting it going again until his injury.

Also do we know for sure he is out of the year? I know the announcers said they think he might be out for the year, and everywhere I read it seems they say they don't know how long he will be out. Does anyone know how long this usually takes to recover from? This is a chance for us to see Simpson now though, and if he can step up and play like the 2nd round pick he was when given a chance.

TTT. I was worried that this offense would struggle once he got hurt, and it definitely has. :cry:

Where's the pat futurecoach on the back icon when you need one?

Anybody who was familiar with the Bengals knew how crucial Chris Henry was in the passing game. It's disappointing that, since Henry has gone down, we've ceased taking shots downfield though.

Apparently most of the Bengal fans on this board didn't know this. It seemed like I was one of the few people, who was worried about the offense once he went down. People only looked at his numbers and figured he would be easy to replace. They didn't think about how him just being on the field opened up a lot of things for the offense and the other receivers.

I know I really think they should at least give Simpson a shot now. Who knows maybe he will end up being a surprise and do better than expected. No one knows how he will do unless given a shot, and at this I think its worth a try.