Ryle 49 Highlands 43 (JV)

75center

It is nice to be a big school with lots of players tp pick from. Beechwood has to double up in a lot of spots. Max Nussbaum played varsity for Beechwood on Friday and he is a freshman. But for the injury, Erdman would probably have played. Nussbaum made several tackles on kickoffs.

That said, there are differing viewpoints on bringing in players for certain games and sitting those who "got you there". A Moeller coach who was there during the Faust era admits they brought in freshman from wherever they could find them, but told upperclass kids who wanted to transfer in, that were very good players...no thanks. They felt it was bad for the team's morale. I see both points of view and both have merit and both have a downside.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly in 2005 Highlands had at least 5 or 6 freshman that played reserve for most of the season. They also played frosh ball every week. Josh Conner would carry the ball 20 times on Thursday night and 20 more times on Saturday.

Correct. But I don't think he was playing in front of any sophs or Jrs. Most of it was due to necessity. I can't remember if there were a lot of injuries that year, but it seemed like the Birds had low numbers on the JV squad that year.

I just want to post a comment about my previous statement in this thread. I did not intend for it to sound as harsh as it did. I was hoping to post something that would serve to "fire up" and JV players reading it, but I worded it too harshly. The HHS JV team won a lot of games this year, and they should be congratulated on that. I do think that their two NKY losses this year prove that Highlands will have to keep on working very, very hard in order to maintain their edge in NKY... that's the point I was inarticulately trying to make.

Go 'Birds!

Correct. But I don't think he was playing in front of any sophs or Jrs. Most of it was due to necessity. I can't remember if there were a lot of injuries that year, but it seemed like the Birds had low numbers on the JV squad that year.

I believe that a LOT of Sophs saw significant varsity time, thus were not playing JV. Couple that with a rash of injuries and...well, some frosh got moved up. Some even saw game action. My son got time on the o-line as a frosh BEFORE he played in a frosh game! But when the injured sophs healed, he went back to hand-clappin' on the sidelines. As he should have! Josh Connor was just a freak! But he did NOT carry the ball 40 times in a week...EVER!

Fun game to watch as just about every way you can score except field goal was chalked up. Blocked punt, interception return, kickoff return, safety, long passes, long runs. Looked like arena football. Congratulations to Ryle. Birds, nice enough season but you hopefully have 5 weeks of practice left to prepare for next year. Use it well. Good to see so many freshmen getting playing time. We have some good ones coming up.

Back to the top of the thread; it started out giving the score and what a fun game to watch because of the amount of scoring. It was definitely entertaining for the fan, but for a coach... not so much. How it has evolved into this and gotten off track so much, I have no idea. It has turned into another thread with nothing to do with the topic of the score of the game and turned into an opinion on how you don't feel freshmen should play JV. Again, not sure how it has gotten to this point, maybe another thread should be started addressing this specifically. Both Ryle and Highlands are fine schools with great programs, it will be exciting to watch these young men as they grow and mature into varsity level players.

I have to disagree with this one. This is JV ball and it was their last JV game. Heard there was even some regular JV kids that didn't get into the game. I know I will get attacked for these comments, but that is my belief.

Some of these boys very well may be better than some of the JV players, but please, give me a break. Tell me one player that was deserving of playing in that game today as a freshman. There isn't one. And nobody can argue otherwise. There might be one player that will have an immediate impact on Varsity next year, and that's a maybe because it's so hard to do and that's McCoy.

So with that, I say bring it on!:madman:

I think you may check and see what players played at what position to answer your question. One of the freshman filled in for a D Line position, Qback McCoy could very well be to save a potential injury. It may not be a matter of "earned" but could very well have been game time decision, just like last week. IMO there were other freshman that "earned" an opportunity to dress for JV games and didn't, so I guess it's all even. The other factor to consider is what effort a JV player may have put into getting better. I don't disagree that it would be hard to take (frosh over JV player) but I guess we don't know the whole story.

I think you may check and see what players played at what position to answer your question. One of the freshman filled in for a D Line position, Qback McCoy could very well be to save a potential injury. It may not be a matter of "earned" but could very well have been game time decision, just like last week. IMO there were other freshman that "earned" an opportunity to dress for JV games and didn't, so I guess it's all even. The other factor to consider is what effort a JV player may have put into getting better. I don't disagree that it would be hard to take (frosh over JV player) but I guess we don't know the whole story.

You know what, I think I will just let it be. After the look I got tonight, it's better to move on!