Sick players

How many teams have been hit by sickness? We have been lucky and it hasn't hit us other than a player here and there and then they haven't been very sick. However, a friend of mine said he has half of his team with either the flu or some type of bronchial infection and a good number of those start on Fridays. He said he didn't know if he could field a competitive team this Friday. But, that is in Tn. is there anyone struggling with sickness in Ky.?:puke:

With the swine flu cases showing no signs of letting up, we might see some surprise results in the playoffs this year. It's coming up on the part of the year where viruses are more and more common anyway, but this year we've already seen several schools have numerous players sidelined because of the flu.

If an outbreak hits a team on the wrong week, this should probably be factored into the predictions. Teams that have already been hit by the swine flu might be at an advantage since they likely have immunity built up headed into the playoffs. This might be one of the elements to consider along with the usual ones: speed, power, quickness, coaching, awareness, and swine flu immunity.

For instance, you mentioned Highlands had 115 students out earlier this week. It's likely that no one in 5A is going to beat them this year, but some other team might be able to get them if half the team is down with the swine flu. Would an asterisk need to be placed by the results???

It would seem that last week and the week before were the worst two weeks of it. I've not heard of any schools shut down this week and any games threatened. Hopefully we don't lose any more than the four games that have been cancelled to this point.

McCreary Central canceled school for the rest of this week. Cancled Fr. game for TH night. Have several players sick this week.

Williamsburg and Corbin are both out but will be playing this Friday Night.

Ahh, first I'd heard of that.

Any other schools out?

With the swine flu cases showing no signs of letting up, we might see some surprise results in the playoffs this year. It's coming up on the part of the year where viruses are more and more common anyway, but this year we've already seen several schools have numerous players sidelined because of the flu.

If an outbreak hits a team on the wrong week, this should probably be factored into the predictions. Teams that have already been hit by the swine flu might be at an advantage since they likely have immunity built up headed into the playoffs. This might be one of the elements to consider along with the usual ones: speed, power, quickness, coaching, awareness, and swine flu immunity.

For instance, you mentioned Highlands had 115 students out earlier this week. It's likely that no one in 5A is going to beat them this year, but some other team might be able to get them if half the team is down with the swine flu. Would an asterisk need to be placed by the results???

That is sooo funny! I think the kids that were out last week at HHS were sick because of a stomach virus. I have not actually heard of anyone that has tested positive for swine flu. Some may have, but I have yet to hear of any.

I would venture to say that 99% of kids are sick from a stomach virus or the regular flu. Not the swine flu.

I know for a fact that several schools have had cases of swine flu but they are not being reported so that they do not put too much of a scare into the communities. Plus ot many if any doctors offices are testing for H1N1. Grant County has been hit hard all week. Have averaged 18-22 kids out each day do to sickness. They will be without several players this week against South Oldham in a game that could determine the playoffs for the winner of this game. They had to cancel the freshman game this Thursday as well. THe school is averaging about 150 out each day due to sickness. This flu is serious, my mother told me tonight that a friend of hers in Flordia had a son, age 20 die this week due to the swine flu. Hope all kids that are sick a speedy recovery.

I know for a fact that several schools have had cases of swine flu but they are not being reported so that they do not put too much of a scare into the communities. Plus ot many if any doctors offices are testing for H1N1. Grant County has been hit hard all week. Have averaged 18-22 kids out each day do to sickness. They will be without several players this week against South Oldham in a game that could determine the playoffs for the winner of this game. They had to cancel the freshman game this Thursday as well. THe school is averaging about 150 out each day due to sickness. This flu is serious, my mother told me tonight that a friend of hers in Flordia had a son, age 20 die this week due to the swine flu. Hope all kids that are sick a speedy recovery.

It's no more serious than the regular flu. Thousands of people die from seasonal flu each year, and far more will die from it than the "swine flu."