NKYFL Season

Slemac90

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hergott is a big kid and will be a beast on the hardwood also. His pops told me this past weekend the REd Devils are loaded and also said the Scruggs kid from Bengal Tigers is the fastest in the league.

THE LEGEND HAS RETURNED! Scruggs is definitely the fastest kid in the league, arguably the fastest in NKY at that age.

Look to see the 5 Red Devils on the AAU Hardwood together this year.....

THE LEGEND HAS RETURNED! Scruggs is definitely the fastest kid in the league, arguably the fastest in NKY at that age.

Look to see the 5 Red Devils on the AAU Hardwood together this year.....

You knowed it. LOL

Which 5 do you speak of on the Red Devils? Harris/Wood/Geimen/Hergott and Wrobleski?

Can somebody please let me know the purpose of the Starter Bowl? It appears to be one of the most messed up football games I've ever seen. 3rd string teams play the 1st quarter, but their scores don't count. First, what kind of message does that send to a kid? Great job, but your TD is meaningless. :idunno: 1st and 2nd string teams play the 2nd and 3rd quarters, and their scores count. Then, depending on the score either the 1st or 2nd string teams play the 4th (obviously the losing team will play their 1st string when they have the ball). Secondly, the penalties. Offsides is called. Based on what I saw tonight, I'm guessing false starts aren't called (unless contact is made???). Holding is NEVER called no matter the severity. I understand we're talking 5-7 year olds, but how are they going to learn if you don't make the obvious calls. I'm not talking calling a questionable call, but if the offensive player has the back of the defensive players jersey whose trying to chase down the ball runner, it should be called. At least point out what they did, and if they continue to do it, then throw a flag.

And during the Spartans game, their head coach taught his kids that it's OK to quit. He conceded the last 17 seconds of the 3rd quarter when his team was getting the ball. Then with 3:30 left, he conceded the game. I understand at that point putting your 3rd team back in, but don't call over the other head coach and the refs to say you're done. Just pull out your 1st team and send your 3rd team in. The other team will realize and do the same.

The Starter bowl is a game for the little guys. (6 & 7 yr old) During the regular season they do not keep score during starter games for the reasons you are talking about right now. These guys are too little and do not comprehend all aspects of the game. As a former starter head coach I was never a big fan of the starter bowl. But I know people like to watch them play. There are just to many mistakes by players to call fouls. The officials would get carpal tunnel throwing flags.

As for the 3rd quarter rule, they do that so a team will not stick in a few studs to catch up or pull away. When you put a score on the board its amazing how quickly people forget these are very young kids and will do anything to win.

I just know that the younger the player is....the more emotional the parent is. Which can make for some fireworks during those games on the field and off.

The Starter bowl is a game for the little guys. (6 & 7 yr old) During the regular season they do not keep score during starter games for the reasons you are talking about right now. These guys are too little and do not comprehend all aspects of the game. As a former starter head coach I was never a big fan of the starter bowl. But I know people like to watch them play. There are just to many mistakes by players to call fouls. The officials would get carpal tunnel throwing flags.

As for the 3rd quarter rule, they do that so a team will not stick in a few studs to catch up or pull away. When you put a score on the board its amazing how quickly people forget these are very young kids and will do anything to win.

I just know that the younger the player is....the more emotional the parent is. Which can make for some fireworks during those games on the field and off.

I've followed the starters for most of the season, so I'm aware how their regular season goes. I've talked to a couple coaches, and in regards to fouls, the ref is to warn the player on the first incident and then flag them from there on out. This seems like a good idea, because it helps the learning process, but not once did I see a ref talk to a kid or coach (other than a coach arguing a call).

I still think it's unfair that they don't keep the score for the 3rd team, but they do for the others. They're a part of the team just like everyone else, and I know they understand that a TD puts 6 points on the scoreboard, because they sure can keep track of the score in baseball. :lol:

I understand how you feel about the third quarter. But its like the 5th quarter for the middle school games. But they put it in the middle of the game thats all. They just try to give an uncompetitive atmosphere for some of the kids otherwise if you left it up to the coach and you kept the score in the thrid quarter, then a lot of kids would not get in the game for fear that the team will lose.

I can tell you from experience that one of the problems I learned while coaching those younger ages. There are small number of kids on the team that really grasp the whole concept of the game and want to win. But the majority of those kids just want to have a good time, eventuallly those kids will learn and get competitive as they get older. But there are times in a game when you keep score and little Johnny is playing corner and his far from your best player and you try to get playing time for him and sure enough they run a sweep to his side and he gives up the all important TD. Those competitive kids also know who lost the game for them too and are quick to point the finger. Those kids who want to win are really harsh. Then you have little Johnny really not want to play anymore. So we have to sensititve to all the levels of the kids during that age.

I attende the Starter Bowl last night at Lloyd. The first game was Spartans vs Raiders and the Spartans came out on top 14 to 6. It has been a long time since I attended a starter game. And in the championship game the Erlanger Lions vs South Kenton Lions and Erlanger won 20 to 0. Both games were fun to watch and all the kids playing seemed to have enjoyed it after the games. It jus reminds me of the old electronic football game I had as a kid growing up that vibrated and players moved all over the board. I just thank all the many football coaches and cheerleading coaches that take the time and work with this group of kids. Congrats to all players, cheerleaders and coaches. JD

I understand how you feel about the third quarter. But its like the 5th quarter for the middle school games. But they put it in the middle of the game thats all. They just try to give an uncompetitive atmosphere for some of the kids otherwise if you left it up to the coach and you kept the score in the thrid quarter, then a lot of kids would not get in the game for fear that the team will lose.

I can tell you from experience that one of the problems I learned while coaching those younger ages. There are small number of kids on the team that really grasp the whole concept of the game and want to win. But the majority of those kids just want to have a good time, eventuallly those kids will learn and get competitive as they get older. But there are times in a game when you keep score and little Johnny is playing corner and his far from your best player and you try to get playing time for him and sure enough they run a sweep to his side and he gives up the all important TD. Those competitive kids also know who lost the game for them too and are quick to point the finger. Those kids who want to win are really harsh. Then you have little Johnny really not want to play anymore. So we have to sensititve to all the levels of the kids during that age.

It's the 1st quarter. :thumb:

I coach baseball with the same age group, so I know how each kid is different. At that age, you just want to make sure everyone plays, has fun, and learns some of the basic fundamentals. I just have a hard time trying to justify to Johny that his score didn't count, but Bobby's did. I guess I'm just not a fan of the starter bowl. You don't keep score all season, everyone plays at least a half, then all of a sudden, the last two games seem to mean everything (to the coaches). Like you said, most of those kids could care less if they won or lost. They were just out there having fun playing football.