Semi-state setup was terrible this year!

My response was only half sarcastic.

My apologies.

As far as playing Semi-State in three days: There's always going to be a good chance that will never happen because of the weather we have here in late spring. Take for instance Semi-State 3 between E'town and Bullitt East. Game 1 was Monday night, no problem. Game 2 got pushed back to Thursday because of Wednesday's storms, and then eventually pushed to Friday because of Thursday's storms.

And then you had to deal with graduation for both teams. E'town's graduation was Friday night, and Bullitt East's was this afternoon before Game 3.

But, had they played Game 2 on Tuesday, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And besides, I think it's up to the tournament host to determine the schedule. If they want to have a day off between the first two games, that's up to them and not the KHSAA. May be wrong on that, I don't know. But I always thought it was up to the host sites to make the schedule.

Don't know if your're right or wrong on the making of schedule by the host team. However if you're correct that's crazy, because if I have a Sheppard and I'm the host team, you can bet your life on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. I think the best-of-three should be 2 on Monday and a third on Tuesday (in neccessary). Make is as even as possible. Then if weather plays a factor, sorry about your luck. Just my thoughts however. :idunno:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree to disagree with you there. Baseball is the one sport where one player (pitcher) can completely dominate a game.

Very much agree with this statement. And I also agree with your original post. I'd prefer to see games scheduled back-to-back-to-back on consecutive nights. And would even consider Rolltide's suggestion that the first two games be played in a DH format on Monday. You can't always control the rain, but it should at least be set up so that best overall team - not the team with the single best pitcher who gets to throw twice - wins.

Personally, I liked the format that was used in recent years ... single games scheduled on consecutive days, usually Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Wait 'til you get a load of what they're doing with the regional tournaments next year. They'll apparently have KHSAA-mandated dates just like the semi-state series have had, and they'll be spread out over nine days. One good arm will be all you need.

The info for the plan for regionals and state for 2010 and beyond is on the coaches' association Web site, http://www.khsbca.com/. Scroll down the front page to "KHSBCA convention information."

Wait 'til you get a load of what they're doing with the regional tournaments next year. They'll apparently have KHSAA-mandated dates just like the semi-state series have had, and they'll be spread out over nine days. One good arm will be all you need.

The info for the plan for regionals and state for 2010 and beyond is on the coaches' association Web site, http://www.khsbca.com/. Scroll down the front page to "KHSBCA convention information."

I've heard about it ... needless to say, I don't like it.

The KHSAA has adopted the attitude that every sport has to be treated equally. That's why 85 percent of the football teams make it to the state tournament ... because everybody makes the postseason in basketball. Now, we're going to send 16 teams to the state baseball tournament because we have a Sweet 16 in basketball.

It's ridiculous ... not all sports are created equal.

The thing about the format for next year that gets me the most isn't necessarily the way it was set-up, but more in the wording of what was said on the KHSBCA website that thegeneral gave us the link to.

For 2010, all 16 regional winners will advance to Applebee's Park to compete for the championship and the semi-state will be eliminated. The regional tournament would start Memorial Day with second round action that Thursday and the finals the following Tuesday; basically giving everyone a week and a half to play their regional tournament. The single elimination state tournament with all 16 teams would start that next Monday.

On Monday and Tuesday of the state tournament, there would be four games each day in the first round with the quarterfinals Wednesday and Thursday, semi-finals Friday and the finals on Saturday. Pitching rules in the first and second round for each team would be the same where it would be assumed that each team played on back to back days, so those teams who played with a days rest would have the same pitching requirements as those who played the next day, so teams wouldn't get a pitching advantage."

The two sentences that I bolded are basically contradicting themselves. Why would you want to give a team with a single stud pitcher the opportunity to have him pitch in three regional tournament games BUT you don't want to give a team that plays in the first round of the "Sweet 16" an unfair advantage in giving their stud pitcher a day's rest?

This hasn't even come to fruition yet but its already a trainwreck.

Incorrect. The dates and times of the tournaments are still up to a majority vote of the 8 teams once the tournament teams are known. They could still play Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday from what we were told, or the schools could vote to spread it out over several days. While there is the "OPTION" to go spread out and use one arm, what it really does is allow schools to avoid proms, graduations, testing, and other conflicts by giving them more days to work in the hardest tournament to schedule all year, a 7-game, weather dependent event.

Incorrect. The dates and times of the tournaments are still up to a majority vote of the 8 teams once the tournament teams are known. They could still play Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday from what we were told, or the schools could vote to spread it out over several days. While there is the "OPTION" to go spread out and use one arm, what it really does is allow schools to avoid proms, graduations, testing, and other conflicts by giving them more days to work in the hardest tournament to schedule all year, a 7-game, weather dependent event.

Not sure why you would want to give these 8 teams an option to pick a format most favorable to them, which is surely what they will do. Set the option - whatever option - up in advance so everyone knows what they're working with going in. Is there another sport in Kentucky that sets up their final tournament play by letting coaches/teams vote on the format and dates they can use?

Not sure why you would want to give these 8 teams an option to pick a format most favorable to them, which is surely what they will do. Set the option - whatever option - up in advance so everyone knows what they're working with going in. Is there another sport in Kentucky that sets up their final tournament play by letting coaches/teams vote on the format and dates they can use?

Yes, they do. In the KHSAA tournament rules, the teams ALWAYS set the dates and times. Some are more restricted due to facility availability, but dates and times are always up to the participating teams in the baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball events.