Obama open to some interrogation prosecution

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does "lost our moral bearings" mean? I am against torture too, but if we haven't already lost our moral bearings more by abortion, then we never had any.

Moral bearings are irrelevant for a government that is supposed to be separate from any and all religions.

Moral bearings are irrelevant for a government that is supposed to be separate from any and all religions.

Well, I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I do know that we have one side advocating torture and the other rejecting abortion; and another side that rejects torture but encourages abortion. Surely both are inconsistent to me...

Although I think torture is wrong, I think Obama's initial response was correct. It's over and done with, we've changed the policy now let's move on. There are bigger fish to fry. I would have much preferred him to hold his ground and not reverse under party pressure on this one. I think the American people will see an investigation as politically motivated whether it is or not; and one reason he was elected was to move away from that type of politics.

There are several issues related to this policy change and document release:

First: Tactics, techniques, and procedures of clandestine type operations need to be kept secret. Regardless of what the ACLU and others think, they are not secret to hide the information from the American public, they are secret to keep our enemies from exploiting the information and/or using it against us.

Second: The CIA or other government employees who conducted these interrogations should not be prosecuted because they were using techniques that, at the time, were approved all the way up the chain of command.

Third: It’s a harsh world we live in with many individuals and groups around the world who would like nothing more than wipe the entire United States off of the face of the earth. The Government’s job is to defend the United States and sometimes that may require changing the rules or bending the rules.

Is one terrorist’s civil liberties more important than 3000 American lives? If water boarding Khalid Sheikh Mohamed prevented another attack on the scale of 9/11 was it worth it? If any viable intelligence came from these interrogations we wouldn’t know because it’s classified, as it should be, but of course the present administration will probably release that too.

Although I think torture is wrong, I think Obama's initial response was correct. It's over and done with, we've changed the policy now let's move on. There are bigger fish to fry. I would have much preferred him to hold his ground and not reverse under party pressure on this one. I think the American people will see an investigation as politically motivated whether it is or not; and one reason he was elected was to move away from that type of politics.

Do you really believe that?

If so the Obama is the biggest liar ever because he has been nothing but partisan. If there are to be impartial investigations then Pelosi and Clinton need to be the first subjects since they both had knowlege of what was going on.