Should the KHSAA take a page from the OHSAA?

theguru

My understanding of the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) is that they collect the majority of the gate receipts from all postseason games but in KY the member schools get to keep the money. What if KHSAA did it the "Yankee Way" :D and used the additional revenue to hire some highly skilled investigators (I know a lot of retired police officers that would do a bang up job) to thoroughly investigate all complaints/violations of the KHSAA bylaws? I think this would really help the KHSAA get over the top.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? How important is the money to you (and your school)? Is this a solution?

Bad idea.

So the KHSAA spent $65,000 to investigate the LexCath allegations and did not find anything and you have public school higher-ups wanting the case re-opened. I would think for $65,000 they at least got a decent investigation. How much more do they want to spend? Getting Columbo out of retirement ain't going to be cheap.

Bad idea IMO. Would they investigate EVERY complaint because you will have more bogus calls than you can imagine. At Highlands their revenue for playoffs/tournaments was 52,273. Subtract 30,000 for the Elder game at PBS and the St. Luke bowl at Beechwood, 5000, HHS revenue from the 4 playoff games last year was 17,000 which is a large sum of money. Total revenue for HHS football was 98,000 so you are looking at reducing close to 20 percent of their total revenue.

My understanding of the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) is that they collect the majority of the gate receipts from all postseason games but in KY the member schools get to keep the money. What if KHSAA did it the "Yankee Way" :D and used the additional revenue to hire some highly skilled investigators (I know a lot of retired police officers that would do a bang up job) to thoroughly investigate all complaints/violations of the KHSAA bylaws? I think this would really help the KHSAA get over the top.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? How important is the money to you (and your school)? Is this a solution?

DeVries has already floated a trial baloon that Prop 20 might make it necessary to take all of the revenue from post season play. I hope all of the Know Nothings that voted for this don't miss the revenue.

DeVries has already floated a trial baloon that Prop 20 might make it necessary to take all of the revenue from post season play. I hope all of the Know Nothings that voted for this don't miss the revenue.

This is the point I am trying to make. The money would be for daily operation now not for extra investigators. Again, the point is the KHSAA may have to start taking all post season revenue and I am sure the majority of the schools voting for this had no idea it could hit them in the wallet this fast, this hard.

This is the point I am trying to make. The money would be for daily operation now not for extra investigators. Again, the point is the KHSAA may have to start taking all post season revenue and I am sure the majority of the schools voting for this had no idea it could hit them in the wallet this fast, this hard.

Would that be decision of the KHSAA or the member schools to make regarding the taking of the revenue. If it's the KHSAA I could see the 198 member schools who voted for prop 20 pushing to form a new state association. Could someone with knowledge of how the KHSAA works tell us if it's even possible for those schools to do that and if so how hard it would be??

The money is very important. Since we are a small school, our athletic budget is very dependant on district and regional revenue. It helps pay for travel, refs, support staff, janitors, and the other sports. IF if wasn't for basketball money, the baseball, softball, and volleyball would not be able to survive.

It amazes me that after the last few days some on here still think the KHSAA is the group of people that sit in the offices in Lexington. The KHSAA was what met in Lexington yesterday. The member schools. The people that sit in Lexington are the staff - they enforce the rules and run the state championships.

Here are the revenue figures for 04-05 for the KHSAA

Baseball 96,816

Boys Basketball 1,514,523

girls Basketball 310,000

football 249,064

soccer 76,179

Other sports 244,115

corp. sponsorship 275,359

Girls basketball brings in more money than football. I do not see how this police is going so drastic to the money situation at the KHSAA.

The rural public schools bring tons more fans to the state tournament than do the privates.

It amazes me that after the last few days some on here still think the KHSAA is the group of people that sit in the offices in Lexington. The KHSAA was what met in Lexington yesterday. The member schools. The people that sit in Lexington are the staff - they enforce the rules and run the state championships.

Here are the revenue figures for 04-05 for the KHSAA

Baseball 96,816

Boys Basketball 1,514,523

girls Basketball 310,000

football 249,064

soccer 76,179

Other sports 244,115

corp. sponsorship 275,359

Girls basketball brings in more money than football. I do not see how this police is going so drastic to the money situation at the KHSAA.

The rural public schools bring tons more fans to the state tournament than do the privates.

But what is profit? How much is the KHSAA in the black each year? With the addition of extra tourneys and extra rental fees they would have to come up with the money somehow. I see the KHSAA taking a cut of the profits at each playoff game if indeed there is a split to cover the cost.

I am not sure about Rupp, but the Cintas Center at Xavier University is $20,000 to rent out for most of a day. Could the KHSAA afford to rent out Rupp for an additional 4 days? Would Rupp be available for an extra 4 days?

But what is profit? How much is the KHSAA in the black each year? With the addition of extra tourneys and extra rental fees they would have to come up with the money somehow. I see the KHSAA taking a cut of the profits at each playoff game if indeed there is a split to cover the cost.

I am not sure about Rupp, but the Cintas Center at Xavier University is $20,000 to rent out for most of a day. Could the KHSAA afford to rent out Rupp for an additional 4 days? Would Rupp be available for an extra 4 days?

You think there would be sixteen regional games coming to rupp arena to play in a private school state tournament? I think there would be four. Two games would be played on Friday afternoon of the public sweet sixteen and the finals played on Saturday afternoon. More games, same days, MORE money - not less.

As for Trinity bringing a LOT of people, if you take Trinity out someone else brings a lot of people. The financial impact is not that much.

You think there would be sixteen regional games coming to rupp arena to play in a private school state tournament? I think there would be four. Two games would be played on Friday afternoon of the public sweet sixteen and the finals played on Saturday afternoon. More games, same days, MORE money - not less.

As for Trinity bringing a LOT of people, if you take Trinity out someone else brings a lot of people. The financial impact is not that much.

There might have to be 16 regional tournaments leading up to the private state championship or there will be 16 lawsuits.

There might have to be 16 regional tournaments leading up to the private state championship or there will be 16 lawsuits.

There are only 48 schools so there would be 16 regions with three schools in each?

More likely 16 districts and 4 regions with the four region winners coming to Rupp Arena as part of the sweet 16.

Unless of course, you were just being facetious.