Should the KHSAA take a page from the OHSAA?

theguru

My understanding of the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) is that they collect the majority of the gate receipts from all postseason games but in KY the member schools get to keep the money. What if KHSAA did it the "Yankee Way" :D and used the additional revenue to hire some highly skilled investigators (I know a lot of retired police officers that would do a bang up job) to thoroughly investigate all complaints/violations of the KHSAA bylaws? I think this would really help the KHSAA get over the top.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? How important is the money to you (and your school)? Is this a solution?

How many people on here truly know the importance of the money from the gates at these games to their respective schools? Not many, I'm sure there are some, and some that will guess. But my guess is there may be 5-10 who really do know.

Using private personnel to investigate allegations, claims and mis-doings would be an excellent idea, providing the impartiality of the investigator and ensuring he/she has no connections or would see others benefit. My example.

If allegations were made regarding the 8th Region, then ensure the investigation is conducted by someone outside of that region, with no ties to the complainant shool or toward the one with any allegations being made.

Revenue from member fees could be increased to offest the cost, or the fines collected from offendors could help supplement this cost. I believe this to be an excellent idea, with the proper overseeing and communication back to the KHSAA.

Many schools in Ohio are Pay to Play Schools and now the reason is clear. Most schools in Kentucky the Athletic Department must be self sufficient and in most schools Football carries the load as far as gate receipts. Yes Playoffs are important to those Athletic Budgets. The KHSAA has the money to investigate and should do so.

Better idea...save all the money they spend on these investigations and adopt an all or none type policy. Either everyone can transfer at the drop of a hat without repercussion or every varsity athlete sits one year, NO MATTER WHAT, if he or she transfers after participating in a varsity event at the former school.

Seems like the allegations of breaking these bylaws would be less if there was a private school state tournament and a public school state tournament. Just a thought but it seems as if the KHSAA is really being drag through a lot of mud lately by some controversial rulings.

This is more of a matter to the smaller schools who need the gate money (which is split in half for the two playing schools), to use as "catch-up" money to buy equipment, jerseys, etc. I'm sure bigger schools don't mind the money, especially ones that reach the playoffs every year. But, you take that money away every year, and that adds up.

Personally, if a KHSAA member school wants to challenge the KHSAA on transfer rules/status, they need to get themselves their own league and play in it.

My understanding of the OHSAA (Ohio High School Athletic Association) is that they collect the majority of the gate receipts from all postseason games but in KY the member schools get to keep the money. What if KHSAA did it the "Yankee Way" :D and used the additional revenue to hire some highly skilled investigators (I know a lot of retired police officers that would do a bang up job) to thoroughly investigate all complaints/violations of the KHSAA bylaws? I think this would really help the KHSAA get over the top.

What do you think? Good idea or bad idea? How important is the money to you (and your school)? Is this a solution?

Excellent idea. I also would be in favor of using a neutral site after the first two rounds for the Regional final and Semi-Final games. This would allow more people to go to games besides the competing schools. To say schools need the extra money isn't fair if a team who has to travel and keeps winning because the will only half of the gate. No money from concessions. The KHSAA could use colleges for the sites of these and split the concessions with both schools and split the gate of what the KHSAA doesn't use.

quote from warrior1 "Many schools in Ohio are Pay to Play Schools"

Yes the are pay to play but it doesn't support the program what they pay. I know here in London a student who plays football must pay $150 to play. Some schools are higher depending on what each school taxes are. Now if 50 kids play, which is what London had this past season, that would be $7500.00. The difference is in Kentucky more money is collected in taxes than in Ohio, so they have the pay to play to make up the difference.

Here's a questions about this method. If some of the smaller schools have to drop their programs after a couple of years because they are losing what little gate they get anyway, wouldn't this produce a flood of transfers in the first few years? Every schools has at least a few good football players, won't they be jumping ship so they can play football in high school?

• 5 months later...

I put this idea out there a few months ago but now I think there is a very good chance of something like this happening if Prop #20 sticks. Let's face it, Prop #20 is a loser in the wallet and the money has to be made up and taking all the playoff money would be an excellent way to do it.

I just hope the schools that voted for Prop #20 realize the shockwave may be very far reaching.

Anyone?

Sorry to disagree, but what makes you think investigations would work? They hired a ex-FBI agent to investigate LexCath for over a year billing more than 100 hours on the job at God only knows cost. The result. The investigation cleared LexCath and all the publics refused to believe it and proceeded to vote for prop 20. It is really sad to read all of the accounts in the CJ this past week of public school admins that know cheating is going but really don't have any facts. I'm glad our legal system isn't allowed to work this way. Some judge just has a "feeling" that you are speeding, so we are just going to suspend your license just in case. :rolleyes:

I would hate to loose gate money. At Highlands the football gate provides much needed funds for most of the other sports at the school. I'm sure the KHSAA could find a way to cut some of the fat out of their budget to provide funds for maybe more important things that effect student/athletes. I would hate to rob a student/athlete the opportunity to play their sport because the KHSAA can't understand their by laws. Heck the KHSAA doesn't listen to the investigators they have now. Why spend more money on more thorough investigations when the KHSAA will probably ignor it or at best take it worth a grain of salt.