Class System in KY Baseball?

Clyde

So then maybe I didn't follow your point. In a thread that is discussing the feasibility/value of going to multiple classes in baseball, what was your purpose in saying, "but we seem to live in a society where a trophy is given to every child just for participation alone, not for excelling or doing something well."? I don't think it was an unfounded reach for me to assume your were implying the giving out multiple trophies in a multi-class sytem is somehow akin to the "every player gets a trophy" mentality becoming so prevalent today or that, at a minimum, these multi-class trophies would be watered-down and hold less value. If not, then I will admit I fail to see what the point of your statement was.

Coop….

First of all, you say that you understand what I am trying to say, yet do not validate any of the points that I make. You proceed to find flaws in any of my examples. Three state championships would be different than the six like we have in football, and I guess that’s where my logic of giving a lot of trophies out might apply more to six state champions. Clyde says “Winning breeds excitement and nothing gets kids more excited than a trophy in the case.” So somewhat I’m responding to are statements like this. According to this reasoning, it might be best to have 10 or 20 state champions so more schools could get trophies. We have a society that sometimes wants to give a lot of kids trophies and not necessarily promote excellence.

But you have not have even acknowledged that quality of players on the baseball field and numbers can be two different things. You state “Smaller schools field their football, baseball, soccer teams, etc, by generally drawing from a lesser talent pool than the big schools - simply due to numbers.” This isn’t necessarily so because numbers do not necessarily equate to talent. Thsrocks makes the point that Trinity has been losing in baseball to smaller schools. Look at some of the 6A Jefferson County football teams. Also, you fail to look at other factors that make up a championship team besides numbers. Valley Sports and Elliot County are in an environment where the sport played is life. What about the parental support and example as well as the financial support of football players at St. X and Trinity. What about fields, equipment, and practice facilities. What about the quality of coaching? Doesn’t that enter the picture? What about the tradition of the sport at that school. What about the feeder system or how much training the players coming into that sport have. These points have not even been mentioned.

Also, numbers in football can make a greater impact than in basketball and baseball. Extrabasehit says “What it comes down to is in baseball you have 9 on the field and football you have 11. To be good in either of those your players on the field have to be good. The more players you have to choose from the better those on the field are going to be. That’s why the bigger schools have the advantage.” The problem here is that St.X in football platoons and hardly anybody goes both ways. Numbers also allows them to specialize in special teams. They can wear down other teams much more easily. Eleven on offense, eleven on defense, kick-off team, kick-off return team, punt team, punt return team—that can involve at least 40 or 50 players. Parkway and Blue Magic tried to make this point.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other obvious point when talking about how numbers in baseball are different than numbers in football is that one player in baseball -- the pitcher -- can make more difference and impact than in football. An exceptional pitcher has the potential with a little defense behind him to shut another team down.

Good point about a pitcher. But the difference between a large school and a smaller is that great pitcher would need to move to shortstop the next game. In a school with more athletes he would get to DH or even sit out. Anytime a school with 1/4 the amount of numbers can compete it is remarkable feat.

How many of the anti-class system posters still play beer league softball? How is the team your on classified and WHY?

Why are all mens slow pitch softball teams not only in one class? Old guys need trophies to or is it skill level?

I don't play beer league softbal and question whether you have read my posts or not. I have said enough.

Edited by Homerun
Grammar

I have read your posts, and I don't remember saying "homerun", I disagree with you. All I did was ask a simple question.

There are "divisions", "classes", and "differences" in all walks of life and sport. Every level of sport is Divisioned out, 1A, 1AA, NAIA, etc.....

So why the hate? Just asking.

I don't play beer league softbal and question whether you have read my posts or not. I have said enough.

You are the one choosing to be offended. No one is discounting you in any way, most just disagree and your reasoning is not strong enough to change those ideas. Simple. Don't be offended, your position is yours and everyone respects that. We just happen to strongly disagree and we too have very good reasons to do so.

At the Coaches Clinic and convention this past Friday and Saturday 84 of the 89 respondents (head coaches only) to a questionnaire passed out at the meeting voted in favor of classification. That is very strong folks. People who are passionate about the game and the youth that play it are in favor of classification. It has NOTHING to do with trophies or fans wishes, or anything of the sort. It is what those who work in the game believe is best for the game, the student athletes and the schools. And by the way, this initiative involves softball, soccer and volleyball as well.

You are the one choosing to be offended. No one is discounting you in any way, most just disagree and your reasoning is not strong enough to change those ideas. Simple. Don't be offended, your position is yours and everyone respects that. We just happen to strongly disagree and we too have very good reasons to do so.

At the Coaches Clinic and convention this past Friday and Saturday 84 of the 89 respondents (head coaches only) to a questionnaire passed out at the meeting voted in favor of classification. That is very strong folks. People who are passionate about the game and the youth that play it are in favor of classification. It has NOTHING to do with trophies or fans wishes, or anything of the sort. It is what those who work in the game believe is best for the game, the student athletes and the schools. And by the way, this initiative involves softball, soccer and volleyball as well.

:thumb: